Community Forums

Loperamide  

RSS

DoxxSoxx
(@doxxsoxx)
Registered
May 19, 2018 10:47 pm  

Hey guys,

I'm currently busy going thru all the surgeries for a j-pouch ( pouch created + loop stoma ) in a couple of months I'll get the stoma closed. 

I've been using Loperamide ( 1 - 3 ) tables 3x a day to try and deal with my liquid output. It's quite costly and I wanted to know if you guys know of any good sources to buy it bulk. I see some options in the US but don't know if it's legit.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 20, 2018 12:54 am  

Welcome to the forum, DoxxSoxx!

The FDA recently put limits to Loperamide (due to abuse), so finding it in bulk will likely be challenging. 

Have you tried dietary approaches to thickening your stool? That's going to be the safest and most sustainable way to do it. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
May 21, 2018 6:18 pm  

I use the Walmart brand . A bottle of 200 2mg pills runs around 6.00 . JET.COM  is Walmart version of Amazon . Maybe you can find there if you are out of the USA.

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
May 22, 2018 1:40 am  

Correction pills are 8.00 for 200.

ReplyQuote
DoxxSoxx
(@doxxsoxx)
Registered
May 23, 2018 8:28 pm  

Thank you guys for the replies.

Yea I've been trying dietary approach but it wasnt working. Very loose output and lots of leaks with skin damage. Very flush loop stoma :(

The Walmart brand is the cheapest I could find and works better for me than Imoidium (thanks Bubbles)

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
May 24, 2018 8:54 pm  
Posted by: DoxxSoxx

Thank you guys for the replies.

Yea I've been trying dietary approach but it wasnt working. Very loose output and lots of leaks with skin damage. Very flush loop stoma :(

The Walmart brand is the cheapest I could find and works better for me than Imoidium (thanks Bubbles)

AWESOME! I take three pills as soon as I wake up with just a couple sips of water . Wait 30 min before I eat or drink  anything. That sets me good for the rest of the day . Glad it worked well for you too. 

Be well , Bubbles

ReplyQuote
Rockstar
(@rockstar)
Registered
May 28, 2018 4:22 am  
  • If you have a drug plan ask your doctor for a prescription 

ReplyQuote
DoxxSoxx
(@doxxsoxx)
Registered
June 5, 2018 10:16 am  

Just an update.

Saw my surgeon and he suggested  fiber/metamucil. Became much better. I don't even think I need to take any loperamide. I also switched to Coloplasts semi-convex barrier to help with the flush stoma and it's working great.

Also Erics tips on caring for skin around your stoma SAVED my life many times over. Thanks a ton! 

Was finally able to get back work and not worry about leaks and pain around my stoma all day!

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
June 6, 2018 7:24 pm  

I recently had my doctor prescribe loperimide 2 mg. The bottle of 200 costed $2.00 at walgreens. 

I was pleasantly surprised . Since I am still in the "pay in full" stage of my insurance , I braved the shock.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
June 7, 2018 6:08 pm  

Hi Doxxsoxx,

Also try the Metamucil Fibre wafers. They taste fine, actually pretty good, and do help thicken the output. I found them much better than drinking the goopy stuff.  Just eat them with lots of fluids, they are nice with tea or coffee. They are avaliable from Amazon ( of course) and some drug stores. Plus they are easy to take with you!

Also Oat cakes.. like the ones from Scotland. Nairns makes some really good ones. Lots of fiber and they taste really great. ( they are like cookies or biscuits...not cake).

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
June 7, 2018 6:37 pm  

Nairns oat cakes are to die for!!!!!!! As Dona says plenty of fiber but really easy to digest. didn,t think they where available outside the UK.

https://www.nairns-oatcakes.com/naturally-energising/switch-ditch

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
June 7, 2018 7:46 pm  

Hi John,

I got them through Amazon..and they are not inexpensive. I do try not to eat a whole packet at one sitting. They really do thicken up output though so I suppose its a 'medical expense'?

I first tasted these last January when were in New Zealand where there here are lots of things from your neck of the woods.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
June 8, 2018 4:18 pm  

Banana flaks I found easy on the tummy.  Amazon - yo can order them or if your in the usa, your drug store. Go your on pace.  

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
June 8, 2018 4:37 pm  

For my presp. for 500 of these pills, it is $500.00 without insurance.  They are capsules.  R yours?  I have insurance,  they are also 2 mg. I wonder if yo have insurance they up the price???????  You cannot buy these over the counter !!!!!!  I was taking 10 - 12 per day- didn't help much. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
June 8, 2018 6:34 pm  

Shop for better insurance plan or company. 

Walgreens has been careful about pricing in my neighborhood,  as we have 8 pharmacies compete with each other. Tough sell!

When I was buying my plan "d" , I made a list of the medicines that i use and wrote down the cost not just of the premium but the cost of each med. Knowing that each state is different,  I won't try to recommend one plan over the other. Still,  us elderly fixed income poor folk need to buy very carefully. 

flynnman and Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register