Community Forums

Keeping Hydrated wi...

Notifications
Clear all

Keeping Hydrated with an Ostomy (w/ video)

37 Posts
8 Users
5 Likes
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hey, Kat.

Preservatives in food is always a hot topic. I've seen that specific one in various products I've consumed, and I don't worry about it too much since I'm likely not having enough of it to be of concern. 

On a side note, because sodium metabisulphite is a sulfite, if you're sensitive to sulfites then you'll probably want to avoid it.  Sulfites are a very common preservative in everything from wine to dried fruit. 

You can find coconut water that does not contain preservatives and is a pasteurized instead. Just from a quick search, it looks like the Vita Coco brand does not use preservatives and it should be readily available.  

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
 Kat
(@Kat)

Thank you! I just happen to be allergic to sulfa, which I have read isn't the same as sulfites, but that's close enough for me, so back to the store it goes. Thank you also for the brand recommendation. :)

ReplyQuote
Songbringer
(@songbringer)

UPDATE: I discovered that my local grocery store carries Vita Coco...the same one that sells the above mentioned product I tried and returned. I bought one to try it, and found it ok. Wasn't keen on the chunks of coconut in it though. I also found it to be pricy for the small size...it was about $3 for one. Not something I can afford on a regular basis, but if I need something for an extended outing, then it is something I will purchase.

ReplyQuote
 Ken
(@Ken)

When I saw Gatorade on my list of recommended hydration sources from the hospital, I said "Echh" to my doc. She recommended mixing a cup of Gatorade (any color than red) with a cup of water and 1/4 tsp of salt. I tried it and it was much more palatable than straight Gator. I double the recipe and keep it in a large bottle.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hey Ken,

Straight sports drinks do tend to be VERY strong, so I don't blame you for finding that the diluted mixture is more palatable. I know they do have sports drinks that are purposely mild in flavor, but your solution is also more economical. "Whatever works", right? :)

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

@Ken, that is a great idea. It is so iimportant to stay hydrated, but I really hate Gatorade and if I ever have to drink it again I am going to dilute it. 

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
(@dieffenk)

Thank You Eric, I think ok needed that?I know I don't drink enough water, but after you recommendation I will drink a lot more vegetable juice . I do have a bit of a problem with alcohol, and it might help with that as well, for at least healing with dehyration. Great article, thank you.

Kevin Dieffenbach

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@dieffenk

Good luck, Kevin! I've been having a hard time finding cases of V8 lately, but hopefully the stuff you buy is easier to find. 

ReplyQuote
Dtheblack
(@dtheblack)

Eric, I know you just drink water and V-8 juice. How much water and how much V-8 do you drink in one day?
I myself drink one 32 OZ of water with one tsp of course sea salt and 1/2 tep of baking soda, after that I’ll drink a 11.5 can of low sodium V-8, then one 32 OZ of Poweraid Zero then one 32 OZ of plain water. After that all drank around 4 PM, I stop drinking. That’s a total of 107.5 OZ of fluid. Is this enough sodium? I get blood test every year or so.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@dtheblack

The funny thing is, these days I don't generally drink throughout the day unless I've come back from a hike or something. 

However, just as part of my nightly ritual I do fill up a 40oz "Klean Kanteen" bottle with some plain water and flavoring, and I may also have a coffee and/or tea in the evenings as well. 

Any more than that and I feel like I'm forcing myself to drink. 

V8 cans in a case have been impossible to find this year, so I haven't had any in a while. I did pick up some no-name vegetable juice this past weekend, so I'm looking forward to that :)

Posted by: @dtheblack

Is this enough sodium? I get blood test every year or so.

Urine and blood tests are the only way to know for sure. Unless you are getting too much/too little and are showing symptoms of getting too much/little, then it isn't generally something I worry about. Drinking too much plain water without adding electrolytes to some other part of your diet may cause an imbalance, so I wouldn't drink too much!   

ReplyQuote
Dtheblack
(@dtheblack)

I try to be plastic free. With my “Berkey” I filter tap water and drink out of 3 glass bottles with a teaspoon of salt in one of them and a V-8 everyday. Y’all don’t have to drink power-aid or Gatorade in plastic bottles. Say no to plastic!

1FE8A4EF-40AC-484B-BE2A-2FB5E8AB137A

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@dtheblack Yes! I agree that it's better not to drink these plastic bottle beverages if possible. 

Is that Berkey an RO system? I've never seen anything like that, but I like it! 

ReplyQuote
Dtheblack
(@dtheblack)

Yes, my Berkey is a water filtering system. The filters must be cleaned once a week. And the filters last for over a year. This system is much easier than hauling water from the water store. I fill the Berkey with a gallon and 1/2 of tab water. The water tastes great!

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi all,

We are fortunate in that we have a spring fed well, so I don't have to worry about buying water. Whenever we go away from home for more than a couple of hours, we bring two thermoses of cold water with us. (Down with plastic!!!)

Stella

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@dtheblack The more I explore the Berkey, the more I love the idea (thanks for the emails, btw). It's really unfortunate that I don't have the counter space to put one or I'd give it some serious consideration. We've used Brita filters for years, but do understand that better systems exist. 

ReplyQuote
(@Kim Bartholomew)

I have a urostomy. Tomato/Latex allergy. V8 not an option.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

I'd definitely stay away from anything that you're allergic to.

Have you been given any alternatives for food-based electrolytes from your doctor or nurse?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2