Community Forums

Keeping Hydrated wi...

Notifications
Clear all

Keeping Hydrated with an Ostomy (w/ video)  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 2, 2018 11:35 pm  

Hey, Kat.

Preservatives in food is always a hot topic. I've seen that specific one in various products I've consumed, and I don't worry about it too much since I'm likely not having enough of it to be of concern. 

On a side note, because sodium metabisulphite is a sulfite, if you're sensitive to sulfites then you'll probably want to avoid it.  Sulfites are a very common preservative in everything from wine to dried fruit. 

You can find coconut water that does not contain preservatives and is a pasteurized instead. Just from a quick search, it looks like the Vita Coco brand does not use preservatives and it should be readily available.  

ReplyQuote
Kat
 Kat
(@Kat)
June 4, 2018 11:09 am  

Thank you! I just happen to be allergic to sulfa, which I have read isn't the same as sulfites, but that's close enough for me, so back to the store it goes. Thank you also for the brand recommendation. :)

ReplyQuote
Songbringer
(@songbringer)
Registered
June 11, 2018 12:18 am  

UPDATE: I discovered that my local grocery store carries Vita Coco...the same one that sells the above mentioned product I tried and returned. I bought one to try it, and found it ok. Wasn't keen on the chunks of coconut in it though. I also found it to be pricy for the small size...it was about $3 for one. Not something I can afford on a regular basis, but if I need something for an extended outing, then it is something I will purchase.

ReplyQuote
Ken
 Ken
(@Ken)
April 7, 2020 2:30 pm  

When I saw Gatorade on my list of recommended hydration sources from the hospital, I said "Echh" to my doc. She recommended mixing a cup of Gatorade (any color than red) with a cup of water and 1/4 tsp of salt. I tried it and it was much more palatable than straight Gator. I double the recipe and keep it in a large bottle.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 8, 2020 10:48 am  

Hey Ken,

Straight sports drinks do tend to be VERY strong, so I don't blame you for finding that the diluted mixture is more palatable. I know they do have sports drinks that are purposely mild in flavor, but your solution is also more economical. "Whatever works", right? :)

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
April 8, 2020 1:07 pm  

@Ken, that is a great idea. It is so iimportant to stay hydrated, but I really hate Gatorade and if I ever have to drink it again I am going to dilute it. 

ReplyQuote
dieffenk
(@dieffenk)
Registered
April 8, 2020 11:12 pm  

Thank You Eric, I think ok needed that👍I know I don't drink enough water, but after you recommendation I will drink a lot more vegetable juice . I do have a bit of a problem with alcohol, and it might help with that as well, for at least healing with dehyration. Great article, thank you.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 9, 2020 2:23 pm  

@dieffenk

Good luck, Kevin! I've been having a hard time finding cases of V8 lately, but hopefully the stuff you buy is easier to find. 

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2