Community Forums

Keeping Hydrated wi...

Keeping Hydrated with an Ostomy (w/ video)  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 8, 2015 10:00 am  
wpf-cross-image

Let's discuss tips to staying hydrated when you have an ostomy!

My full article on this topic can be found by clicking on the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Paul Hubers
 Paul Hubers
(@Paul Hubers)
August 17, 2015 2:24 pm  

Can you please explain how the sugar in fruit juice will cause a watery output. I use a Foly catheter and drink a couple of glasses of cranberry juice a day to help with the UTIs I sometimes get.  My colostomy output is watery and I need to firm it up but would like to keep drinking juice. Do you have any suggestions for dealing with this problem?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 17, 2015 2:46 pm  

Hey Paul, without making it sound too technical, sugary drinks are hyperosmolar fluids and they pull water into the gut – leading to liquid output.

There’s a really handy chart in this article to see where various fluids rank (table 3): https://med.virginia.edu/ginutrition/wp-content/uploads/sites/199/2014/06/Parrish_Feb_15.pdf

The higher the “osmolarity”, the greater the chances if it causing liquid output.

Now to answer your question, what helps me in these situations is to eat starchy foods to thicken things up (preferably at the same time as the juice). I list other suggestions here: https://www.veganostomy.ca/2014/09/dealing-liquid-ostomy-output.html

Take care!

ReplyQuote
Karen
 Karen
(@Karen)
September 20, 2015 2:38 pm  

Thank you! I found this extremely helpful!

ReplyQuote
AChocolateWoman
 AChocolateWoman
(@AChocolateWoman)
February 6, 2016 8:49 am  

Thanks for the homemade oral hydration recipe. I started using it a few days ago and can feel the difference.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
 VeganOstomy
(@VeganOstomy)
February 6, 2016 11:06 pm  

That's great to hear! I use a different recipe than the one listed above - I'll include it in a recipe section that I'm working on :)

ReplyQuote
TomL
 TomL
(@TomL)
June 28, 2017 11:16 pm  

Strangely enough, marshmallows can reduce output significantly. Not recommended for regular use, but great in a pinch.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 8, 2017 2:00 am  

Yes, many people report those findings! Unfortunately, because traditional marshmallows contain gelatin (which I avoid), it's hard to recommend them without easy access to a vegan version.

ReplyQuote
Elaine Beasley
 Elaine Beasley
(@Elaine Beasley)
September 14, 2017 9:42 am  

I have an ileostomy and just recently tried the Vega hydration powder. I had diarrhea. I have a high output stoma. I think it was the beet derivative that caused it. I discontinued using it, although I really wanted to try it.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 14, 2017 10:15 am  

That's a shame, Elaine :( Do you have sensitivities to beets?

ReplyQuote
Marcie
 Marcie
(@Marcie)
October 7, 2017 6:08 pm  

I had a ileostomy 3 years ago. Very sick went un-consious w/pain-E.R. 4 months later in ICU/CCU with 2 month coma, death, strangulation 3 times of colon, colitis, bleeding internally for some time, then surgery of removal of colon. (didn't know that I was even sick) Dr. Never checked if I was dehydrated. Sent to nursing home to learn how to walk etc. (2 months) Hard time and 50 pounds of weight loss. I am now with I.V. infusions of 12-14 pounds of fluid per week for the Past 3 years-sometimes E.R. for extra fluids. (4 pounds of fluids every other day) no weight gain- - why? With all the efforts of special drinks, fluids go to pouch within 5-8 minutes. No short small bowel indacations. Will this ever stop? Taking salt pills also.
My life is totally gone!! I don't mind the pouching system-but this? Can u help? No Dr. will or can help me. I am lost!! Been to many specliasits on this ..... Now have emphysema that was discovered 3 years ago and never told until last week by lung Dr. I am a mess... HELP!!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 8, 2017 11:27 am  

Hi Marcie, I'm so sorry that you've been going through that. I'm not a doctor, so I really can't offer any suggestions for what you describe.

That sounds like a lot of fluids per week. Are you also able to eat?

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 8, 2017 8:16 pm  

Yes, I eat more than my 2 sons do and they are in their 40's.. I also "graze" eat. Cheerios I find to help keep things in longer---I tried every pill and shots..
There is a shot that is new--But that costs-get this 3000.00 - 4,000.00 which equals to me is "sorry I cant help you" Who can afford that.. ?? Said I could get sponsors.
Also this can cause cancer-lower your white blood cells.. etc. Like what sponsor would want to join in with that? Not interested in this. I am 5'8-112 pounds. Any milk products-sugar- goes right to my pouch.. It has been a long haul-every year something major--Last year I went to surgeon as I was having pain-said am fine.
3 days later- I had a busted Gull Bladder-that took 4 surgeries.. Needless to say I went to a different hospital.. This year Emphysema, which that surgeon had my stomach -mri- as I had to feed myself through a stomach tube for a few months when I came home 3 years ago-That was written in this reading never told me!!!! And I was standing tall strong-feeling great and then boom!!! I had horrible pain and passed out and u know the rest. Before this I passed out, husband found me-911-Hartford Hospital and because I was not responding, they sent me to the psychiatric ward!! Didn't have time for me at theE.R. has many people rather upset with their attitudes.!! Had fever and complained that I hurt-they told me that it was all in my head. and put me in a room away from others. I asked for a Dr. Nope- when my fever came down, I told them I have a lawyer and plan to sue.. I was out in 4 hours. didn't sue. but filed many reports.. So because of this mistake of improper treatment at the e.r. I was delayed 4 weeks of proper treatment and I believe that this is why I became so sick-with bowel backing up in my system etc. The gull bladder took me a good year to get back on my feet again-if you can call this on my feet!! Do u have any samples to send me to try? Coupons? Marcie............ p.s. be happy to help others if I can just by writing to them to keep their chin up with dehydration of severity.. It helps.
My best to you -- and thank you for responding.. very nice.. Marcie..

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 8, 2017 8:32 pm  

HI, sending u some pictures of me and husband (sitting down) and the tall one is one of my sons. I am the blonde Swede. I am 68 yrs. old.
before all this happened I looked like I was 30. U can understand the many difficulties I have had to adjust to. Ageing? doesn't bother me.. It is the sick weight loss/and no fighting weight for future illness's that I am afraid of. When I go down? I go down HARD !!!! And FAST!!
But I keep very active, I clean the home rooms, gardening.. Maybe I should not do all of this? Is that a problem u think? House keepers are $30.00 per/hour. been there for a year after surgery 3 years ago. WOW huh? Ya, I live in Ct. expensive..
Have a healthy week and a fun one!! I go to infusion 3 times a week-so not much time for fun.. But I try to slip a day in here and there.. Got to keep that smile!!
Marcie.............

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 8, 2017 8:37 pm  

HI, Am I getting to much fluids? Think that these fluids (2 letters per visit-3 x wk) are flushing away to many important things?
I have had 2 kidney shut downs the first year. But Dr. said that they healed them selves.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 9, 2017 2:19 pm  

Hey Marcie,

Your dr would be the one who could tell you whether you're getting too much fluid, but I would hope that a stoma nurse and your doctor could share notes.

You've gone through so much. I'm glad that you can still stay positive.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 9, 2017 2:38 pm  

Been 12 times and talked until I was blue in the face with surgeon-just said "don't know what to tell you- May go away.. Put me in the hospital for a few weeks to measure in/out puts a few times.. Like, I am so done with being their mascot!! Totally useless!! Just want to operate-take the money. They are more interested in stomas problems.. They should read your vegan ostomy-- I will tell them-!! Anyone out there that has been through this?????? Thank You in advance.. Marcie...
I will keep reading on.. . p.s. my support group in West Hartford, Ct. is wonderful !!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Marcie
 Marcie
(@Marcie)
October 9, 2017 9:45 pm  

Someone in my support group told me that drinking to much water is bad for loose outputs. Is this true? If so, why???
Marcie

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 10, 2017 10:13 am  

Yes, they are correct.

It's possible to drink too much of anything (at a certain point, it just passes through you), but drinking too much water can cause an electrolyte imbalance. The quantity for "too much" really depends on the person.

If your urine is clear and odorless, and you're peeing often throughout the day, you're probably getting enough. For ostomates, we also have to monitor our output so we aren't losing more than we are taking in.

ReplyQuote
Kat
 Kat
(@Kat)
June 2, 2018 9:48 pm  

I just purchased some coconut water and this specific ingredient is in it...sodium metabisulphite. I looked up some info on that ingredient and was horrified at what I read. This what I read from National Institutes of Health: Sodium metabisulphite, a preservative agent, decreases the heart capillary volume and length, and curcumin, the main component of Curcuma longa, cannot protect it. Sodium metabisulphite is used as an antioxidant agent in many pharmaceutical formulations. It is extensively used as a food preservative and disinfectant. It has been demonstrated that sulphite exposure can affect some organs. Do you by any chance know if that ingredient is indeed harmful? I am seriously considering returning it to the store for my money back. Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register