Community Forums

Karaya paste  

RSS

Derek
(@derek)
Registered
July 23, 2018 6:33 pm  

I'm doing something wrong when applying this paste can anyone advise?

I apply it to the wafer and spread some away from the stoma for a better fix but many times it still doesn't hold properly after a few hours then there's space between the wafer and stoma allowing a nasty escape.

Do I need to let the paste dry for a while before applying wafer ?

My nurse also said it should be mixed with a bit of water but I'm not convinced.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 23, 2018 9:28 pm  

Hey Derek, 

Is there any reason why you're using Karaya paste and not something else? From what I understand, Karaya is not nearly as durable as some of the newer formulations.

That gap can be formed by the paste maybe shrinking a bit (I don't know how Karaya paste reacts), or because your stoma expands and contracts with peristalsis, which leaves a gap. 

One suggestion would be to use a barrier ring instead - those tend to swell a bit, which may help to fill in that gap. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Derek
(@derek)
Registered
July 24, 2018 6:16 pm  

Was recommended by the nurse.plus is quite readily available here in mexico

What would be a good alternative and I can check availability.

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
July 24, 2018 6:35 pm  

I agree with Eric!!!!!!!!!!  Besides, Paste is horrible to get off, and irritation of the skin around your stoma which u don't need !!! (unless u really need all this paste) ??????

Try a barrier ring, coloplast reg size, get samples.  Eric has all the information and phone numbers for most country's.  someplace on here...…. :-) I Love the Ekin seals. ask for the slim and the next thickness.  ask for 2-3 of each for samples. I use the next above to slim Ekin seals. ( I think they come in 2 thickness)  Eric?????  Good luck!!  

you know it is HOT in Mexico, so the paste may be melting...…………… 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Derek
(@derek)
Registered
July 24, 2018 9:08 pm  

Thanks Marcie

Yes the paste is a bit of a pain.will try the barrier rings but doubt there's any free samples here unless Eric has a contact for mexico!

Thanks again

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register