Community Forums

Tobacco Warning Lab...

Notifications
Clear all

Tobacco Warning Labels: Offensive to Ostomates?

61 Posts
13 Users
32 Likes
17 K Views
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
wpf-cross-image

What do you think about the outrage over the mention of an ostomy in Health Canada's proposed tobacco health warning labels?

Please, be civil.

My full write-up on this topic can be found in the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)

Personally, I think people are overly sensitive about a lot of things these days.  Maybe it's not the best choice for a tobacco warning label, but I'm not offended by it. Political correctness has gone over the top in my opinion.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

And that may be part of the problem, too. With everyone worrying about not offending someone else, we'll never be able to openly share facts or opinions.

There is often reason to stop and say, "that information isn't right" or "that's a misrepresentation", but this is not the case here. 

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

As always, this is OVER DONE !!  As someone says FAKE NEWS !!! which is the only thing I agree with..  and well put!!!------ I think the ad is discusting, and tobacco has nothing to do with a full pouch!!!  Another point the finger at a person because he/she smoked and treated with abuse of it is YOUR fault. I hope to God, I never see this ad on a bill board!! Or in a pages of news prints. Here in the USA, it will NOT g over well. I feel a law sute is in order by the ostomy directors. Enough!  This is our private life of pouching it for the rest of our lives. Like here on this blog, if we want to see it, we can.  We understand and get an education within ourselves. Shoving this into a normal persons life making fun at us-nope !!  Raise the tax's like they have done here in Ct. USA, one pack costs $10.00 -----(age 21 soon)-- and going up again $$.  Make it hard to smoke, and hard for the teenagers to get the money for them. I was a smoker, it was in style back in the 50's and 60's.  That is all you saw - learned.. Yes, I fell for it, and I am a victim of these ads.  I don't think it IT'S ALL MY FAULT, there were no warnings..!!!!!!!!! But if anyone tells me my pouch is caused by my smoking?  ------we got to come up with something to say-- so far,             "your not well educated are you?"  

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Just to be clear, Marcie - these are warning labels that really only someone who smokes would be seeing (they are on and in the cigarette package, and those are often hidden from public view when sold in stores). 

The research shows that these labels are quite effective at increasing public awareness of the risks of smoking, and for many teens, it plays an important role in their willingness to quit. 

I used to be a heavy smoker - well before my Crohn's Diagnosis and before these labels went mainstream, but of the warning labels I remember seeing close to 20 years ago left a lasting impression on me. 

I also think it's natural and normal to feel like these are guilting smokers or blaming them for getting sick - hopefully, those who are informed early enough can make a choice to stop (or not).  Just like the warnings on alcohol/drunk-driving ads, saving one life makes it worth it.

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi All, for me I does not shock or offend, like us all I look at my tummy and its got a bag and it may as well be my elbow or big toe! just part of my body. BUT I can see how the image could have a negative effect. Some one some where is facing surgery and they see their own government using the very device they will wear to scare smokers. Its taking a life  SAVING surgery and making out its the  end of the line THATS not good. I do support any thing that will stop or discourage any one from smoking thats OK. So on a personal level nothing about my or any one elses ostomy offends or shocks seeing a new ostomate discouraged offends. Plus I am an ex smoker and the pictures of rotten teeth etc never put me of. it was the cost which made me WISE UP! so how effective are these shock tactics.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
(@Prof. Michael Seed)

I'm afraid you've missed the point. Conentrating and on offence caused is a red herring. The very real issue is stigmatisation of stomas. We are trying really hard to reduce the stigma aganst stomas, and the stigma that stomas are a last resort and the end of life as we know it. Cancer patients can make life limiting decisions to avoid a stoma, and when have it they can suffer mental illness. This proposed advert reinforces and perpetuates this dreadfully damaging stigma.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

JUST DONT PUT ME IN THIS CATAGORY OF EFFECTIVE NOTIONS OF NOT TO SMOKE!!  Scaring? Again don't use my U.C. and strangulations of colon and Nellies FULL dress to make a point. thank you…..FIND SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!!  How about a picture of a  Busted 4 inch hemorrhoid? while they are at it??  As they are into this area...…..A birthing of a defective baby? That is their mentality.. Sad as it is.  If some of you want to be used in this manner fine.  But NOT ME !!!!!!!! and trust me if it is on the package? it will get into the press.  mostly because it is so awful to look at !! What if ever, they end up with a pouch and their minds of cruel-so called funny jokes are in their minds because of this ad?       And people will complain ostomate or not.  Bad picture, bad decision, bad manners……….  We are taken advantage of in every direction.  The joes NOT on me!! Teenagers are probably laughing at this also-they really never take thing seriously if they are into cigs. etc. Too cool- hopefully they will get through this stage.  JUST RAISE THE PRICES!!   have seen it worked. Most people don't even know what an ostomate is.. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

I don't care where these ads are..  They are out there...………… and shown around.. Bad choice, Bad decision, Bad manners...……. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Thank You Prof.  !!! 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Thank you for your comment, Michael.

I still fail to see where the stigma lies - the warning label is merely giving an example of what colorectal cancer might imply for someone. For a smoker who has never witnessed what colon cancer can be like, I think it offers a rather tame look.

Just to expand on this, because I didn't explain what the other warning labels were like, each shows various outcomes from smoking-related diseases like bladder cancer, throat cancer, heart disease, etc.

Bladder cancer = blood in the toilet.
Throat cancer = man with a tube in his throat required for breathing.
Heart Disease = photo of a diseased heart.
Oral cancer = graphic image of cancer on the tongue.
Mouth Disease = photo with diseased gums and yellowed teeth.
Colorectal cancer = ostomy bag.

None of these images are meant to stigmatize patients, but they offer a very real look at the risks associated with smoking. They are used as examples since we already know that saying, "Smoking causes colorectal cancer" has less of an impact compared to showing what that might mean.

The data from the focus groups also suggested that teens learned from these warning labels (i.e. many didn't know that smoking can cause erectile dysfunction).

I'm curious to know what negative stigma a smoker who sees this label might think of a cancer patient who has an ostomy.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: Marcie

FIND SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!!!!!!!! 

This has been studied, and this form of warning label has been shown to be the most effective (I've linked several studies in the article). 

This is across the board (teens, adults, men, women) and from different countries (I believe 20 were studied). 

I will say that according to the focus groups, there are certain images that do not work with the labels. For example, "Smoking can cause death" with a photo of someone who is living does not have the same impact as an image of someone on a gurney.

If there is another way - a better way - it hasn't been proposed.

ReplyQuote
(@Prof. Michael Seed)

This is the reason why the ostomy on a fag packet proposal is so damaging... The advert says "this truely awful thing called a stoma will happen to you if you get CRC". Read the following. https://t.co/KMEYgavAzH. In addition a friend of mine diagnosed with CRC said he'd rather die than have the stoma. It was only because I had a stoma (and we've known each other for 30 years and he didnt know) and could convince him, that he took it and is still alive... Think of the seriously negative stigmatising in this.

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dogtalkerer)

Hmmm, So this is what happens when you stuff cigarettes up your butt? be tricky to light them.

so this is what happens when you dumb things down, government is good at doing that.  I read stuff from the CDC that really doesn't impress me.

I had none of the lifestyles that suggest brought on my rectal cancer.  must have got it from a dirty toilet seat. :)

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

That is a fair point about other illness being used to shock!! I don,t see that any one will be laughing at us because of this, and if they did its their problem. I still think it undermines the work that has been done to promote how normal a live an ostomate can live.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: Prof. Michael Seed

This is the reason why the ostomy on a fag packet proposal is so damaging... The advert says "this truely awful thing called a stoma will happen to you if you get CRC".

The text does NOT say that, and did not imply that having a stoma is a "truly awful thing". 

I think if an ostomate had that sentiment when they saw that warning label, they may not have accepted their ostomy yet or are themselves living with difficulties. 

In addition a friend of mine diagnosed with CRC said he'd rather die than have the stoma. It was only because I had a stoma (and we've known each other for 30 years and he didnt know) and could convince him, that he took it and is still alive... Think of the seriously negative stigmatising in this.

Many people have that thought, and many who are negative towards ostomies are negative because they aren't educated (as you confirmed with your story about your friend).

The problem right now is that the general public still doesn't know what it means to have an ostomy. Some don't understand why you'd have one, or what it's like to live with one; others are confused because models showing off their bellies are scar-free and "perfect", while they have deep gaps in their stomach and their scars are quite large and visible. Public education should include this diversity. A teen smoker may not even know what an ostomy bag is or that colon cancer can lead to having an ostomy bag - that reminder is hopefully something that influences them to quit smoking. 

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)

I'm with Eric on this, I've watched tobacco related problems kill or handicap too many people near and dear to me. If this image is enough to make ONE person stop, it's worth it to me.

I feel I'm living proof for the people around me that life goes on, usually for the better after the bag. This is another reason I don't hide the fact that I have it, and will always let others know what it's done for me.

If we're worried about the stigma, we should take it upon ourselves to educate people.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

VeganOstomy and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

On a recent hospital visit a surgeon told me that he has seen patients react worst to the news of an ostomy than cancer! that really says how scared people are of our life style. I am a proud ostomate and want any one who may have to travel this road to be one too.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Maybe a picture of a male sitting on their "question mark of a dysfunctional erectile" would be better? That should get the male populations attention..   We have tried to educate people-- as John sayings-( it is like herding cats)  We are the ones that get educated after we get the stoma, and some lucky ones find this blog before hand and WE help them through. And we help each other...…… DOES SMOKING REALLY CAUSE CANCER??   I find it hard to believe- or there will be more of us out there.. and don't tell me they are hiding. It is hard enough to go through life with regular people telling you what you did wrong and ended up  like this or have COPD, and you ate wrong.. point the finger-- (which I tell then they have 3 fingers pointing right back at them)  They are not doctors etc. I know for sure, in my case anyways, they (Doctors) cant figure out why, how, when I got so sick.  See? they don't know everything..  I know more much more in fact than my G.I. Dr.'s asst. does. I am not defending smoking.. IT is a bad habit. I am done with it.. I have early copd, and yes it is for keeps.  But I will be darned to have  any Dr. treat me like what Nellie has inside her dress.. like I deserved this illness of copd. have my bad days and good days.  The bad? just go with it..  I know it will get worse. When?  No one knows that either.Dealing with my stoma? hate it--but got it.. 4 years August.. Making the best of it.  But if I ever saw that type of an (pouch filled) ad in a cig. pack. or anything else of what I was doing WILL happen to me?  and it did?  Well, lets just say the Ct. river would look mighty good to me!! COPD,  did myself, did not know- but for years I knew it was bad.  As stated I am a victim of the early days. so, Marcie, do the best you can this may not be what kills you any way.  Just saying keep us/ME out of their ads.  My business.. and having a hard time accepting all of what I went through all at once. I lost much not just my colon, but me..  Wanna go with horror? show a picture of a deformed dead child. to me it is the same attempt.  And God bless that child/mother.. I lost 6 babies. 4-6 months along.  I did not smoke then.. but friends sure did ask that question...…  add the hurt huh?  not how r u doing? like taking a survey.. People r cruel………. and sometimes don't mean it.. or just plain stupid!! So NO pictures of nasty lives and what can or cannot happen to you. Because they have not proven such!!!!  makes me mad as he--         am trying my darnest to live a normal stoma life and some jerk does this..   which I feel includes me like I did something stupid and wrong I am to blame !! I AM NOT!!            now where is that beer?????????????     

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: Sasquatch

've watched tobacco related problems kill or handicap too many people near and dear to me. If this image is enough to make ONE person stop, it's worth it to me.

I don't think there's a person alive who hasn't had a friend or family member die of a smoking-related illness. I know many who have, and I wonder if warning labels like this might have given them a reason to quit. 

I feel I'm living proof for the people around me that life goes on, usually for the better after the bag. This is another reason I don't hide the fact that I have it, and will always let others know what it's done for me.

If we're worried about the stigma, we should take it upon ourselves to educate people.

And I'm glad that you aren't afraid to talk about it!

I strongly believe that we can educate the public while simultaneously allowing other groups to do their thing (whether it be preventing drunk driving or helping people to quit smoking) without feeling as if we're being stigmatized or insulted in any way.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4