Iron supplement without constipation?  

RSS

ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 26, 2020 6:46 am  

Hi

Just thought I would post about my experience with Anemia

Using a Iron Bisglycinate Tablet- a tummy and Vegan friendly supplement for me causing no problem with constipation or tummy upset.

Medic like to offer Iron supplement tablet that all seem to have a high likelihood of tummy problems or constipation and most are not Vegan.

The other option is iron infusion, which can have serious side affects!

Having found a vegan tummy friendly supplement that works well for me whereas the medical option cause problem I wanted to share with the forum.

Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
June 26, 2020 7:05 am  

@chrisandbagpus

Thanks for posting Chris. Is this the Solgar one? Or which one have you been using? Post-op and with the bowel cancer my iron stores are low, and I was taking a 20mg vegan iron supplement, and it is improving my iron stores gradually. My iron levels (daily intake) are absolutely fine. The surgeon suggested an iron infusion, which I declined. Then my doctor wants to speed up the rate at which my iron stores are built up and has given me a 200mg iron supplement (to be taken 3x daily), it is suitable for vegans as I declined the first offered supplement which was in a gelatine capsule.

I have just - this week - started to take the prescribed option, and only once a day as it turns the output into thick, sticky tar (!). I do not have any of the usual symptoms of anaemia (tiredness, bleeding gums, light headedness, etc.) and was quite happy for the restoration of my iron stores to take place at a slower rate, but was also willing to give this supplement a go.

So I would be interested to know how you have got on with the supplement that you are taking, and as you're also in the UK, the brand. I was using Floravital, as I like the synergistic blend, for the tablets, I have used the Terranova brand.

Best wishes and thanks.

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 26, 2020 7:31 am  

Hi Mimi

Its the Nature's Best vegan iron complex code 740

The claim all product are 100% UK manufactured I also have started taking their multivitamin code 577 which I think helps. I researched quite a lot finding out there is a lot of wholesaling and labeling of products in the market. I think they're fairly legit without being pricey.

The iron as a bisglycinate absorbs at around twice as the other more readily prescribed ones

I take two a day (2x20mg a day equal to 80mg plus 14mg from the multivit) I'm limited on the amount of spinach etc I can tolerate but spirulina energy balls with ground nuts also help started adding pistachio nuts for the iron content.

With my coming surgery next week as my iron level were 125 (Normal is 130-180) they wanted to transfuse me last week (prophylactic treatment ) I also declined.

Yes on the prescription iron tablet at half the dose prescribed after three days I had to stop and drank literally gallons of lukewarm water to get my output going again.

It pays to ask question and check everything out for yourself

Be the exception not the rule!

Chris and Bagpus

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
June 26, 2020 8:15 am  

@chrisandbagpus

Chris and Mimi,

I too have a history of anemia. I had to have a transfusion 10 years ago because I had lost so much blood (almost half my blood in 3 months) and I was definitely feeling the effects. I could hardly walk down the hall at work without getting out of breath. I went to my doctor and she sent me to get bloodwork done. That night she called me 3 times (I was going to school at the time). The third call, she left a message telling me to be at her office at 9am. When I got there, she told me I needed to have my husband take me right to the emergency room for a transfusion, and she had no idea how I was even functioning. It was scary. I have been taking iron since then, as well as progesterone to control the bleeding that made me anemic in the first place. As long as I take the iron pills twice a day, it keeps me at a healthy level. I did have 9 iron infusions in about 7 months last year too. Being so sick and then having my emergency ostomy surgery left me very anemic again so I had to get back on track and the doctor said the pills would take way too long to restore my iron levels. 

To relate my long story to your post, Chris, I have never really had any kind of problems, constipation or otherwise, with taking iron supplements. 

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 26, 2020 8:57 am  

Hi Liza

I'm glad for you that iron supplement aren't a problem for you. we all react differently to the med, the products and the practical of being an ostomate, that why we are here and share our successes and failure our journey may aid another so it worth the sharing. I love your positiveness and lightheartedness.

Unfortunately for some of us like me they can be a bit like trying to digest an iron bar and anything that stops the big bung-up is as good as a piece of gold.

If the Op goes well next week Bagpus will go back in the shop window and I will journey for a while with a new yet to be name travel mate?

I'm not going to pretend its been easy with Bagpus combined with the virus and the treatment I have been massively restricted from what and how I use to be. My journey to better health still has a way to go, if I can help others on the way then the journey will have been all the more worthwhile. That's why this is a great community.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 26, 2020 11:14 am  
Posted by: @chrisandbagpus

Medic like to offer Iron supplement tablet that all seem to have a high likelihood of tummy problems or constipation

This is probably the #1 complaint that people will have when using iron supplements. Finding a "gentle" formula is important not only to avoid discomfort but also to ensure that the patient will actually take it. 

It's also important to know what type of anemia you have. If it's iron-deficient anemia, then adding iron to your diet can help. But if the problem is related to poor absorption, it can be more difficult to treat. 

ReplyQuote