Community Forums

In need of advice  

RSS

sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 15, 2019 10:23 am  

Hi everyone,

I have been using the SenSura Mio light convex one-piece system for almost a year. It is a 1 1/8 " precut. Lately I've been having trouble with the placement and am finding that, even though I cut a little more off the sides, that it is cutting into my stoma a little. I was thinking of going to the SenSura Mio light barrier that I would cut myself with the adhesive pouch. Any thoughts out there? How is the profile on this system?

Thanks,

Stella

john68
(@john68)
Registered
June 15, 2019 11:28 am  

Hi Stella, Firstly I don’t have any experience of the adhesive 2 piece system. But I have always been a fan of a regular click 2 piece. I have always felt it makes it very easy to place round the stoma and the choice to change bags. The profile will be a little more but it’s something I like as I feel it gives me a little protection. Plus it’s a very reassuring to hear that click when attaching the bag. Just my  thoughts Stella 😀

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
June 15, 2019 1:24 pm  

why can't you just cut the hole a little larger? can't  imagine how a 2 piece would solve your problem?    I do not like 2 piece bags, too restrictive, even a bag with minute amounts of air will restrict my movement.  

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 15, 2019 2:09 pm  

Stella, That is frustrating to deal with. I use a one piece.  I have to question if your stoma is swelling for you? If so you should see a doctor about this. If you make the hole bigger, you run the risk of harming your skin.  However, have you tried making the hole bigger and using a Barrier Ring on you skin to try and protect it  at the same time.  You can make them thinner around the outside edges and maybe a little thicker around the edge to form of cushion for your stoma,  hopefully making it more comfortable for you. Also, if you cut your own hole, you can allow for these changes after you measure your stoma hole. Cut on the other side of the line you cut on.  Mine remained the same size for years then changed to an upside down "D".  It brought on leaks, rashes and plenty of pouch changes. Let us know what worked for you. All the best!  :).

Linda

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
June 15, 2019 3:43 pm  

since you have a colostomy, in my experience I have zero skin problems due to exposed areas.  I often do not change a bag til the flange is 70% lifted off the skin from the stoma output.

try an experiment, cut the effected areas a hair bigger.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 16, 2019 2:53 pm  

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I have been making the hole slightly larger  horizontally as I have a slightly oval stoma, but for some reason, I have been having problems situating it so that there is no friction on the stoma. Part of it is because it is a one-piece system and has an extra filter, it makes it hard to see the stoma, even when I use a mirror and my glasses.  I figured that the two-piece adhesive cut your own system might allow me to cut the barrier to the size I need and to more easily place it on my body. I think the adhesive bags may still have low profile though not as low as a one piece feature.

Stella 

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 16, 2019 10:22 pm  

Stella, at the risk of wandering off with my tail between my legs...I am going to ask you a dumb question. Brace yourself...when you put the pouch on, are you bending the wafer as far over away from you as you can  into almost a taco shape, allowing you to see as much of the skin edge around your stoma as you can, and,  the edge of the hole you cut? I think doing this should help you see just where you want that

sucker to land on you. At times in my struggle to get my wafer where I want it I have even mangled it into a near  triangle, keeping a sticky wafer off sticky wafer at the same time. Making it look like a road with hairpin turns. I just had to check with you about this. I truly hope this rectifies for you sooner rather then later.  ;D.

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 17, 2019 7:17 am  

Egad! Why didn't I thing of that? I will give it a try, Linda. Thanks hugely for the tip. See, I am still learning. That's why I love this site and all the helpful ideas!!!   

God bless!

Stella

LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 17, 2019 8:33 pm  

I am not sure if you can do this with the wafer but....I am glad I could be of service.  Now I want to know if this helped. Good luck!  Lol. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 18, 2019 4:43 pm  

Hi Linda,

I gave it a shot, but found that because I have a convex system, I couldn't do what you suggested. However, I'll keep my one-piece system and try out the two-piece adhesive and see what happens.

Stella

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 18, 2019 6:57 pm  

Darn eh!  Maybe Eric has a tip he may have learned along the way. Can you by any chance line it up from the side first and work your way across to the other side holding it as far off your skin as you go, pulling the tab off as you go to make less risk of losing the power to stick to you.

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 19, 2019 1:06 pm  

Well, one thing I've done, which seems to help is to carefully cut out the pre-filter inside the bag. (I saw this done on YouTube). This helps me to see my stoma more clearly in the mirror making placement a little easier. I think this is the fix I needed. Thanks for all your advice!

Stella

LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 20, 2019 11:14 am  

Glad you found a solution! I wish those pre-filters were better. Quite a few people remove them. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 28, 2019 6:23 am  

Questions, do they make a pouch like you prefer without the filter, and then would you be able to apply an osto ez vent to it?

Recently before using a friend bathroom, I had asked her to be brave and go in and see if it the air was offensive in the room after I came out  she impressed me and went in and came out laughing and said, it was a trick  I never emptied my pouch. I am certain the M9 has something to do with eliminating odor further then the output. Has anyone else noticed this in using the M9. Point is if you have the filter for odor concerns, maybe you can change you pouch to one without and use the M9 instead, if you don't already, clearing the way for a completely clear view of what you need to see. I just Can't help but wonder....

Any news on your test results? Are you able to access the report on computer like we can now in Canada?  I am learning a lot from them and combined with being able to easily ask google, I am learning a lot. I so hope it is a great report for you. Understable if you wish either way to not share about them also. Been thinking about you is all.

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 28, 2019 11:26 am  

Thanks, Eric,

This seems to be the best solution as I did try the cut-your-own with the adhesive and did not like how it felt. The barrier was too wide and it began falling off. Once was enough! I am back to my pre cut one-piece for good!

Stella

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register