Community Forums

Is there a starter ...

Notifications
Clear all

Is there a starter kit for new ostamates?

9 Posts
8 Users
11 Likes
(@travelnutty)
Topic starter  

Hello all... I am going to have APR surgery in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering if there is a 'packaged starter kit' that I can order from ?? that includes the curved scissors, and samples of typically used products like the paste, adhesive remover, etc (not so much barriers or pouches as yet). I have no idea what the hospital might send home with me, and I'd like to be more prepared in this regard... I will have the left-side colostomy.... thank you!

john68 reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Welcome to the forums, Travelnutty :)

Many of the major manufacturers like Coloplast, Hollister, and ConvaTec should have a new patient starter package. I got a nice one from Coloplast when I was in the hospital. 

That said, you won't need every product that's available (i.e. paste, barrier rings, etc.), so you may want to call manufacturers to discuss your needs and they'll be able to send samples of appropriate products to try. 

I have a convenient list of companies who give out free samples: https://www.veganostomy.ca/ostomy-suppliers-free-samples/

I hope your hospital does send you home with a kit (some do, some don't), but I wonder if you can ask your stoma nurse ahead of time.

Good luck!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Tony and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Travelnutty, Welcome to the forum, As Eric points out the extra bits and pieces are useful tools when needed but you may not. The very best for going forward.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Tony reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi Travelnutty,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find all sorts of tips, info, and support here. Wishing you the best as you go into your surgery and beyond. Is your ostomy a temporary solution?

Stella

Tony reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dogtalkerer)

travelnut, I too have a colostomy.  I use coloplast 1 piece bags.  I do have coloplast curved scissors, but I just use straight cut scissors anymore, not that important, works just as well..  also, I rarely if ever use anything but paper towel and warm water to clean and so forth.  no removers, pastes, or powders. 11 yrs out.    hospital will most likely give you the econo version of bags.   go for the velcro closure bags, easy to keep clean, I favor coloplast for that same reason..

jp

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Travelnutty- Welcome to this site  This is the best place to be when seeking help and answers to questions from other ostimates.  I have an ileostomy, about  10 years now. I had it 8 years when I found this site and was pleased to learn that samples were available to try. I did switch products that I left the hospital with and would encourage you to try and leave the hospital with at least 4-6 pouches and whatever they may also give you.  If you deal with sensitive skin, try and make sure you have at bit more of the skin barrier wipes also.  You won't need a lot of products, but I have even been sent a sample of room air fresh spray.  Your business with them is for life likely so take a good look at what they have.  Recently, I called Coloplast and asked for a travel bag of some kind to keep my supplies in and all together, they sent me a nice grey and turquoise bag  that holds all I need. It is 10"L x 6"H x 3"W.  I just love it and am considering purchasing another for in the car. Good luck with your surgery and I hope all goes really well for you. 

Linda

Tony reacted
ReplyQuote
(@travelnutty)
Topic starter  

Thank you for all the suggestions... I will have a permanent colostomy.... I've already joined a local support group and they had a Coloplast rep give us a presentation and he passed around a number of items for us to examine - my first closeup look...   Thank you again!

VeganOstomy, LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)

Hi @TravelNutty,

Sometimes a hospital will send you home with a surprising amount of ostomy supplies. You're fortunate to find this site beforehand, where you've already been informed that you won't need every single ostomy product under the sun, lol. It can be overwhelming as a newb.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@shazzon)

Hollister sends out a great package several types of bags ,rings, paste and so does coloplast but I found the Hollister easier to use .And any time you want to try a new product they send them out for you to try .

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote