Community Forums

Extra Ostomy suppli...

Extra Ostomy supplies  

RSS

Awc19
(@awc19)
Registered
July 5, 2019 7:59 am  

I have not been on the forum in quite a while due to being busy packing up 2 houses to move between my chemo treatments! Yay, we finally sold our house after being on the market for over a year. We have been in a rental in a different state waiting for it to sell and now that it has we can move out of the rental. So the point of my post is while packing up my supplies, I have box of extra supplies such as Hollister wafers and bags and a box of convex wafers that I was sent home from the hospital with. Is there somewhere I can donate these perfectly good supplies??? I hate to throw them out as I know they are so expensive. Thanks for the any input. Alice

Alice

SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
July 5, 2019 9:43 am  

Hi Alice,

I had some extra dressing kits and canisters after my wound pump was discontinued and even though they were unopened, the Apria local office couldn't take them back. They recommended donating them to the hospital. I'm sure you could do the same thing with ostomy supplies. 

If you have an ostomy nurse where you are, they would probably take them. The one where I live is pretty stringent about not using something on a patient if it has already been opened, but they have samples there that they take let people feel and look at. And if they couldn't take them to use, they could probably recommend an organization that would take them. Or they may have a patient with money problems that could use the donation. 

It is also a long shot, but if you are in a big enough city, there may be a homeless shelter that would be willing to keep them on hand in case someone came in who needed them. 

Congratulations on selling your house and good luck with your move. I hope you are moving someplace fun!!

Liza

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 5, 2019 4:53 pm  

Congrats, Alice!!

I have a list of ideas for what to do with those extra supplies that you might find handy: https://www.veganostomy.ca/unused-ostomy-supplies/

Liza, I like the idea of seeing if any shelters can use them. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Awc19
(@awc19)
Registered
July 5, 2019 8:38 pm  

Thanks, Liza and Eric, for the suggestions. I am sorry I didn't look through the resources before posting this question. I like all the ideas and do live near a city with a homeless population served by several organizations. I will start making some inquiries into several of these suggestions and decide how best to proceed. All of the supplies are unopened and are not expired. 

Alice

Alice

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
July 5, 2019 11:25 pm  

I should have known you would have a great list, Eric!!  I'm always so amazed at all the time you must have spent over the years on this website!!  I assumed this was a full time endeavor for you, and then I read in a post somewhere that you have a full time job in addition. That is so impressive. 

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
July 7, 2019 10:09 am  

Liza, I donated to our 1st responders  sometimes when 1st on scene they have a need for a pouch to help someone on the scene  I also took the time to demonstrate how to use them and quick tips.   :)

Linda

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register