Community Forums

Community Forums

Want to join the forums? Register HERE for instant access.

Already have an account? Login below:

Hernia Q's  

RSS

Chris
Eminent Member
18/08/2017 7:48 am  

Anyone have any experience here? I don't want to run to the dr's, and even my stoma nurse is an apt at the hospital...

lately ive noticed that when I yell (at my kids ;) ) or cough or whatever.. it feels as though the stoma is coming out of my abdomen. Also, when I left the hospital I was a size 33mm and now I'm a 38.

is it normal to feel like it's being pushed from behind when you exert? Is it normal for the stoma to increase in size? I was always under the impression it shrank rather than grew.

i don't really have any other symptoms.. I'm not bulging or in pain or anything...

Im just relatively new :)

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
18/08/2017 8:59 am  
Posted by: Chris

is it normal to feel like it's being pushed from behind when you exert?

For me it did, and sometimes even now it still does. 

You still have a way to get before your considered fully healed. 

But if you ever suspect a hernia or potential hernia then make that appointment with your stoma nurse. 

Is it normal for the stoma to increase in size? I was always under the impression it shrank rather than grew. 

After surgery, our stomas tend to be swollen and they shrink from there. 

However, they can still change later on. Weight gain could be one reason why a stoma might grown.

Mine used to be 28mm, then 32mm for the longest time, and now it's 35mm. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Chris
Eminent Member
19/08/2017 9:06 am  

Thanks. Yeah,  I've been gaining weight lately too. I've gained 12 lbs since I've been home. Hopefully that's the answer. The crappy thing is that I just went on a purchasing binge and bought a stoma guard, a stealth belt (vertical setup) and a comfort belt... and a wrap from Josie's... so yeah.. I hope I do t gain too much more weight. 

Hopefully the fear of not being able to fit into a million dollars worth of ostomy accessories will keep me from eating donuts. Time will tell.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
19/08/2017 11:00 pm  
Posted by: Chris

Thanks. Yeah,  I've been gaining weight lately too. I've gained 12 lbs since I've been home.

I'm willing to bet that's what it is!

The crappy thing is that I just went on a purchasing binge and bought a stoma guard, a stealth belt (vertical setup) and a comfort belt... and a wrap from Josie's... so yeah.. I hope I do t gain too much more weight. 

That's like my first rule when it comes to accessories - don't buy anything until things have normalized. I "outgrew" my first stealth belt and several other accessories :( 

ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
11/09/2017 4:04 am  

This past week I had a developing blockage that seemed to occur near the stoma opening. My stoma was going into very painful spasms.  The pain was just about 10 on a 1 to 10 scale.  Has anyone experienced this?  Could it be a hernia?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
11/09/2017 10:11 am  
Posted by: Fred

This past week I had a developing blockage that seemed to occur near the stoma opening. My stoma was going into very painful spasms.  The pain was just about 10 on a 1 to 10 scale.  Has anyone experienced this?  Could it be a hernia?

I'd suggest speaking with your nurse if it continues or happens again, but let me share my experience.

Yes, I've had VERY painful experiences when I have a blockage/partial blockage near my stoma. The spasms are peristalsis trying to push things along - they cause your stoma to expand and contract. For me, often times when my stoma is expanding and nothing is coming out, it pushes against the edges of the hole in my wafer and that's where the pain is coming from.

This is why I tend to remove my appliance when I have a partial blockage as it "opens things up" and can relieve the pressure. It also makes it easier to massage the area around my stoma to help pass whatever's stuck.

ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
11/09/2017 11:25 am  

I did remove the appliance completely but it was still painful. Do you experience this frequently? 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
11/09/2017 11:57 am  

Blockages may still be painful, even with the wafer removed.

I haven't had a full blockage in several years, but I do occasionally have partial blockages when I'm not careful with how I eat.  I use several of the techniques listed in THIS article to help. 

ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
13/09/2017 10:56 am  

Hello All,  

Doctor diagnosed that I have a small hernia and also recommended that I have a colonoscopy.  I am very concerned about impact of the colonoscpy prep and procedure. Afraid that it will disrupt the functioning of my colon which at this point is very sensitive to irritation and change.  Has any one dealt with a hernia?  Has anyone had a colonoscopy. What was your experience.? 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
13/09/2017 11:01 am  

I am very concerned about impact of the colonoscpy prep and procedure. Afraid that it will disrupt the functioning of my colon which at this point is very sensitive to irritation and change.  Has any one dealt with a hernia?  Has anyone had a colonoscopy. What was your experience.? 

Hey Fred,

You may not have to do a prep if your colon isn't connected past your ostomy.  The prep can only really flush out stuff between your mouth and your stoma - everything after that wouldn't be affected by the prep.

Unless you've been asked to do an enema or something like that. 

ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
13/09/2017 11:17 am  

I have a colostmy which may be different?  The doctor gave me the prep so I assume it's necessary.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
13/09/2017 11:20 am  

I have a colostmy which may be different?  The doctor gave me the prep so I assume it's necessary.

There's always some confusion about prep when doing a scope. 

Just to clarify, are they going in through your stoma or do you have an intact anus/rectum they want to scope? 

If it's the latter, then I don't think a prep is necessary at all. But if they are going through your stoma, then the prep is required.

It's quite safe, although you will want to stick by a bathroom as the prep does its job! 

ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
13/09/2017 2:33 pm  

Going through stoma. Thank you.

ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
13/09/2017 2:38 pm  

After the colonoscopy, did you have any problems  or after effects?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
Bag Master Admin
13/09/2017 2:42 pm  

After the colonoscopy, did you have any problems  or after effects?

Here's what I went through for my ileoscopy, which may differ slightly from a colonoscopy through the stoma : https://www.veganostomy.ca/first-ileoscopy/

I still questioned why I needed the prep, but I'm glad I did it since there were no real problems.

I wonder if colonic irrigation would be better in your case. Your doctor would be the one to know the answer to that. 

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register