Clear all

Gas- anything else I can do?  

RSS

Illona
(@illona)
Registered
August 29, 2017 8:54 am  

Hi friends,

Ok I am finally comfortable with my appliance changes and wearing it to work and all, and great news, I have my last chemotherapy treatment this week!

My issue is gas.  My oncologist said I could take GasX, which I have been doing, but my stomach is constantly gurgling.  I try to eat the same time each day and I am not adding any new foods lately. I am eating a lot less than I used to and I stop eating at 7pm with the hope I might get a solid 3 hours of sleep at a time between bag emptying. I am also worried about dehydration so I drink 80-100 oz of liquid per day and I feel I'm constantly sloshing around.  I can sometimes feel the gas coming out of Pippa (my stoma) and my bag balloons all the time.

What else can I do?  Any food recommendations would be appreciated.  I just don't know how to stop being so gassy without the GasX and that doesn't work so well either.

I look forward to your advice.

Dona liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 29, 2017 11:14 am  

Hey Illona,

Gas... this is an issue for many!

Here are a few thoughts in no particular order:

• Keep a food diary to see if any particular foods/ingredients worsen gas for you.
  • If you are on antibiotics, it's possible that this has caused your gut flora to go a little out of whack. Meds/cancer treatment could also be a culprit. Sometimes, probiotics can help (but speak with your dr about the use of probiotics first).
  • You mention that your stomach is gurgling a lot lately. Can you think of anything that might be linked to this happening or has your stomach always done that? Finding the cause of that may be the answer.
  • Gas-X helps to break down gas (it's an anti-foaming agent), but it won't get rid of it. 

I offer more causes and possible solutions in my ballooning article: https://www.veganostomy.ca/ostomy-pouch-ballooning/

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Illona
(@illona)
Registered
August 29, 2017 2:53 pm  

Hi Eric,

I watched your video, it made me think that the culprit might be artificial sweeteners. Today I'll try not using them and see what happens. Also the food diary is a good idea that you taught me when I first found you, I've been keeping good records but can't pinpoint a culprit just yet. ( I hope it's something else, I love my Crystal Light and Powerade Zero)

Thank you for always being there for me

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 29, 2017 3:46 pm  
Posted by: Illona

it made me think that the culprit might be artificial sweeteners.

They tend to upset my stomach :)  I usually use stevia, rather than sugar. 

Good luck! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Navey
(@navey)
Registered
August 30, 2017 12:06 pm  

Hi Illona

know how you feel about your last chemotherapy session, it's the beginning of the end of a journey. Good luck this week.

I have a lot of gas as well and have found since I started putting 1ml of hydrogen peroxide in the bottom of my bag (after emptying and cleaning it with water) that not only do I not have any odour from the bag, I have noticed that I have less gas and ballooning. I have been trialling the peroxide for two weeks now and am totally thrilled with the results. I had an appointment this morning with my stoma nurse and reviewed with her what I was doing and actually did an appliance change with her from start to finish and she thought the peroxide was a safe way to deodorize your bag. After seeing how much peroxide I was using, she said there is no fear that the peroxide would get anywhere near my stoma from the bottom of the bag. I hope this helps.

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Illona
(@illona)
Registered
September 1, 2017 9:11 am  

Hi Navey

i did read your thread on using the hydrogen peroxide and I think I'll try it this weekend. I'm beginning to think the real culprit is my chemo.  I was so gassy and ballooning and just realized it was my side effects days. Today should be my last I hope

Dona and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
Illona
(@illona)
Registered
September 1, 2017 9:12 am  

Do you just use a capful?

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Navey
(@navey)
Registered
September 1, 2017 9:17 am  

Hi Illona:

Yes a I use a capful (being the bottle cap) which is about 1 ml of peroxide. It really works for me, as I mentioned before, I have a more liquid output. Love to hear your results after you have tried it. 

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
September 7, 2017 6:55 pm  

Thanks for the advise on gas reduction with the addition of Hydrogen peroxide. I will give it a try.

It would be a real help! 

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote