Notifications
Clear all

Unplanned bag changes at work

12 Posts
5 Users
14 Likes
(@squeakyandliza)
Topic starter  

So, I've probably been playing with fire by not getting my emergency ostomy kit together, especially now that I am back in the office full time. I need to go back and rewatch that video (that was the very first VO video I ever watched!). 

I know I can find an appropriate bag and put together my travel kit. What I am worried about is if I actually have to use it at work. The bathrooms at my office are a room with a counter and sinks and then 3 stalls. I am starting to feel pretty confident with changing at home, but I don't know how it would work out at the office. I definitely need a mirror to see what I am doing, but I don't want to be in the relatively busy bathroom with my shirt (or even worse, dress) pulled up and tucked in my bra to keep it out of the way, and a trash bag tucked into my pants. That is a visual no one wants, probably least of all my coworkers. (Though my husband gets a good chuckle at it).  ?

I have been pondering how it would work. I'm thinking positively that i won't need it, but I need to be realistic that at some point I will probably have a leak at work. I haven't been able to figure it out, so I am turning to my new friends. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can deal with this???

Thanks, 

Liza and the shy Squeaky, who is not ready to meet my co-workers

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

If you have stalls, that's perfect. Find a bag or at least a mirror that can be hung so that you don't have to worry about where it's going to be positioned. Hang that trash bag off your pants - that's your "insurance policy " in case your stoma becomes explosive! 

Keep a water bottle (doesn't have to be big) to help you clean the area around your stoma. 

If you aren't feeling confident, practice at home! Find a less-than-ideal place to change your appliance and do it there. You'll quickly learn what you need to add to your kit and what technique will work for you. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)
Topic starter  

Thanks Eric. I will definitely have to practice changing in an adverse setting. The bathroom stalls are small and don't have any surface to set anything down. The third one has a handicap bar, so I could maybe balance something on that. That is where I am putting my clean-up strips of tp. There is no hook, but maybe I could find a magnetic mirror. Or I could put some velcro on a mirror and some on the stall door.  At least I see a possibility now. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: SqueakyandLiza

The bathroom stalls are small and don't have any surface to set anything down. The third one has a handicap bar, so I could maybe balance something on that.

Assume that none of the bathroom stalls will have a surface to work on - so try to get a bag or something that can either hook or suction on the backside of the stall door. 

If you do have a handicap stall, by all means, use it! 

And if your company has an HR department, you may want to ask how they can improve the accessibility of those washrooms to better accommodate you. You should be well within your legal right to request this. 

LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi Liza,

Have you gotten a starter kit from either Hollister or Coloplast? The one I prefer is Coloplast as they include a carry bag with a mirror that has a magnet on the back of it (for placing on a metal door) and a wonderful pair of scissors for tweaking  my barrier. I include about two appliances, (I use a one-piece) a couple of dark colored plastic bags, paste, wipes, lubricant, etc. I also made a strap made of elastic about 8 inches long with a snap and it's receiver on opposite ends. When I am wearing a dress or a long blouse, I hold one end of the strap, go up from the bottom and through the neck and snap the ends together. This keeps my dress or blouse  up and out of the way. Definitely use the handicap stall! 

Stella

PS It probably is a good idea to bring paper towels with you in the stall (one wet and one dry) to wash any  output away from the barrier area and to dry it thoroughly.

LK, john68 and SqueakyandLiza reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the tips. I have one bag I got in the mail shortly after my surgery. I don't remember who it is from. Either coloplast or convatec. That is what we use at home to store some basic supplies. I could just put those in a box and use that as my travel bag. Or if it isn't from coloplast, I could request one from them. 

Either way, I have some shopping to do this weekend. ?

You guys are the best!!

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

If you can't find a cosmetic bag with clear or not zip pockets and some peel the paper off plastic hooks, I have left them behind in many washroom stalls. Bottle and packets have fallen off rails, if the top holder is not flat, your hooped. But this is fun to solve and find what works for you. Find a cheap folding table you can leave in the bathroom at work, tape do not remove note to it, makes a great counter top.  I have needed and now always carry  6 spare pouchs and like equipment on my bag. If you can't find a cosmetic bag you like, and are crafty buy a cheap apron and some zipper, mesh laundry delicates bags at $ store, stitch them to desired depth and widths if you like, and then to the inside of apron. Move ties to the bottom and top or sides where bag edges will meet when folded, fill mesh bags with supplies and tie shut. Stuff in purse or small back pack.  I also carry a small flashlight since a power outage in a can with no windows during a change,  That was real fun! Not!! Make sure you added some loops to hang your apron from those cheap plastic hooks you stuck on the wall next to the toilet you sat or stood on or by to change your pouch. Lay paper towels on surface to help with being sanitary. I also carry a small spritz bottle with my fav. cleanser in to clean after myself. Have fun being creative!  }:) 

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Wow, Linda, you sure do come up with some great ideas!

Stella

ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)
Topic starter  

So here is the difference between men and women. I watched Eric's emergency travel kit video, which was very helpful. I was going to order the same bag, but then today, we went to an art in the park show and I found a super cute waterproof 3 zipper purse. Totally nowhere near as functional as Eric's. And probably at least twice as expensive. But it is so cute!! 

1564269434-IMG_1440.jpg

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Fred
 Fred
(@fred)

Stella,

The elastic strap is a great idea.  I usually struggle with the problem. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi Liza,

Wow, what a cute bag! You'd be surprised how much you'll be able to fit in it. I think mine is a little smaller, but I am able to carry two appliances (which I pre-cut at home), wipes, magnetized mirror, adhesive remover and lubricant in convenient packages. I keep a set of extra clothes in the car just in case.

Stella

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @squeakyandliza

Totally nowhere near as functional as Eric's. And probably at least twice as expensive.

This may or may not be true, but I will say that a stylish bag! I hope it works well for you!

ReplyQuote