Community Forums

Blood Disorders  

Page 1 / 2 Next
  RSS

Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
February 19, 2018 4:51 pm  

Has anyone ever heard of a link between IBD and blood disorders?  Specifically polycythemia (thickening of the blood).  My doctor has noticed this increasing over my last few checkups, and I'd just like to know if it could be a common thing with IBD patients, or if it's just a one off thing.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, procolectomy TBD.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 19, 2018 7:40 pm  

I don't know about that specific condition, but Ulcerative Colitis is strongly associated with "PSC" (Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis), which can affect liver.

There is one reference to polycythemia and UC specifically on Pubmed, but no accompanying abstract : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2389741/

Are you being referred to a hematologist to investigate this further? 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
February 19, 2018 9:29 pm  

Yes, I think he'll send me to a hematologist once he reads the last lab he sent me for. He had me checked for a JAK2 mutation, we'll see what happens when those results come back. That gene mutation is supposed to be linked to polycythemia. I'll have to investigate the "PSC", my liver
enzymes have been slightly higher than normal lately too. Although they got a little better after I got better control of my blood glucose levels.

Edited: 4 months  ago

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 20, 2018 2:34 pm  

Best of luck, man! It's always good to have a hematologist look after your lab work if you've got IBD - my GI doc is also a hematologist, so I don't have to go crazy when lab work goes out.

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
February 27, 2018 8:13 am  

Well, I'm negative for the JAK2 mutation, I'm guessing my doctor will want to send me to a hematologist next. I suspect dehydration is playing a role in this, but I guess we'll see. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 27, 2018 8:57 am  
Posted by: Sasquatch

I suspect dehydration is playing a role in this, but I guess we'll see. 

Not getting enough fluids in or losing too much? 

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
February 27, 2018 9:36 am  

Not getting enough, I aim for 2.5 liters of water everyday, most days I don't get the .5.  I've been paying extra attention to it for the last couple of weeks.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 27, 2018 10:31 am  

Is it a matter of forgetting or not feeling thirsty? I found that as soon as I flavored my water, I could drink all day! LOL

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
February 27, 2018 1:42 pm  

-S- (handsome man)  Drink your fluids, the best u can.  Feel comfortable-don't over do it. AS Eric has a blog I think. that says WATER ONLY washes out the salts out of our bodies. And I found this out.. In reality- when u get fluids, via: I.V.  it is a salt  mixture.  YOU CANNOT GIVE PLAIN WATER via I.V. So , take this into affect while drinking fluids.  WATER IS GOOD.. but just water all day long? and being like us?  Not a good thing.. Kick it up a notch!! :-) Good luck...... Hope your feeling better, and don't worry to much.. easier to say-- relax and sip away.. Power drink? O.J.? Grab one of Roberts beers............. :-) M.

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
February 27, 2018 2:02 pm  

Did anyone suggest that you also drink V8 or powerade or the equivalents. 

Besides being drinkable,  it helps replace what you're losing . We have with your written about this before, so if you do a search about dehydration,  you will see how effective these drinks are.

Good luck with your pcp problem. I know nothing that could help you. 

Z

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
February 27, 2018 3:19 pm  

Maybe I should put some kind of electrolyte replacement drinks in my rotation. I have to be careful about those though, I'm diabetic also, the sugar load of some of those drinks can be really high.   

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
February 27, 2018 3:31 pm  

I think that you bring an diabetic is the most important area to care for.. 

MORINGA TEA   (not morning)  has so much benefits to offer. It is expensive, but one cup of this gives you everything and more than regular tea.  Call your special organic coffee/tea shops around or go  on line. Check it out.. I am.  Hope to place an order this week. 

Another thing about drinking fluids, for me. COLD drinks makes it so much better.. Not so boring.. Goes down nicely.. And I seem to drink more than I though.. Good luck!! M.

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
February 27, 2018 5:29 pm  

Gatorade has a sugar free version. It's called G2.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 28, 2018 1:04 pm  

I second the motion to add V8 into the rotation (if possible). It's lower in calories compared to sports drinks but has both sodium and potassium, as well as loads of other nutrients. I would imagine it's also "diabetes-friendly". 

As a word of caution sometimes sports drinks, fruit juice, and even V8 can have a laxative effect on some people, which would obviously make things worse if the goal is to hold onto your fuilds! 

Best of luck!

ReplyQuote
Bubbles
(@bubbles)
Registered
February 28, 2018 3:01 pm  

Yes I love V8 . In cold weather I add some chicken broth to my V8 warm up a cup in the micro for a yummy quick tomato soup. A grilled cheese on the side , heaven. 

ReplyQuote
Kerby
(@lkerby33)
Registered
February 28, 2018 6:37 pm  

V8 juice?  I've always loved it. Eric mentioned he drinks it. Be careful, lots of sodium. I was drinking it alot. , at no time did it loosen my output, still thick and pancaking. Yes, yes, yes, I've tried all your tips. Driving me nuts.  I take Merilax everyday. Doctor has had me on it since surgery. I tried backing off it, weaning and taking a fiber pill each morning, nope, nothing. I worry about blockages  ..Id b sooo happy to have a looser output. I've tried more oil in bag, all the tips Eric has said. Stood on my head!!!  

Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 28, 2018 8:55 pm  
Posted by: Kerby

V8 juice?  I've always loved it. Eric mentioned he drinks it. Be careful, lots of sodium. 

This is actually a good point to bring up. 

Someone will an ileostomy can increase their sodium intake more than someone with a colostomy because less is being absorbed. 

Original V8 has 640mg of sodium per 8oz serving. The low sodium version has 140mg. 

The low sodium version uses potassium chloride as a salt alternative, which means the potassium content is much higher than the v8 original. 

If you have sodium restrictions then tae iit easy on the stuff.  I consume quite a bit of sodium and my blood pressure, blood and urine labs are normal, but this may not be the case for everyone. 

Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
February 28, 2018 9:47 pm  

I keep recommending v8 , because I monitor my blood carefully,  with a visit to the phlebotomy lab monthly . So I agree that care is needed  regarding too much sodium or potassium.  In the summer,  it is less of a concern. 

Z

In my way of thinking,  dehydration is the boogie man.

Edited: 4 months  ago

ReplyQuote
Kerby
(@lkerby33)
Registered
February 28, 2018 10:26 pm  
  1. I agree on dyhydration. I am a water drinker. Last year ran into problem drinking to much water. It just so happened I was in for Dr. Visit that week. My sodium was so low. I could have had a stroke. Water is sooo good for you. In so many ways. I drink water from sunrise till close to bed time.  I always have a bottle with me. V8 has a new drink I bought today. Maybe everyobevknows. It's called " Greens" spinach and etc. In it. Haven't tried it yet. 

VeganOstomy and Zvitusk liked
ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
March 5, 2018 10:55 am  

We may have found the problem, at least I hope so.  My doctor has changed my diabetic medication. Basically, the one I was on can cause you to dehydrate because it eliminates sugar through urination. I go back for more blood work in a month.

VeganOstomy and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2 Next
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register