Community Forums

Dressing with an Os...

Notifications
Clear all

Dressing with an Ostomy: A Guide for Ladies (Part 2)

60 Posts
13 Users
25 Likes
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Caroline,

Are you able to find any of the clothing options given as examples in the article? There are so many clothing options and/or accessories that you should be able to find one (or a combination of more than one) to make it work for you.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Dona reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Hi Caroline, people can be mean !!! Sorry your going though all of this.  Rather an odd placement for a stoma.  But some do have theirs located in odd places.  Reason being?  ??????  As I stated above, Maternerty  pants,  elastic waists, and (found a new idea that I love )a blouse, sweater that you and tie in front.  Find a dressmaker to get you started.  Make your own style...……. I know the dress maker will be on the expensive side, or a friend to help you get started (free with kindness) Having the right material is important so "it" hangs well and hold it shape.  I feel for you dear one! ! But I also had to re-do my clothing.  and it was expensive, so there fore it was slow going..  99% of us had to re-do-  mostly woman.  You will get there!! I am in my late 60 …… So you and I can go our own styles.. Because we are fabulouse !!!!! Good Luck !! Marcie. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Caroline, What I found was a sweater  in a light weight,  I gathered the front and but a hair barrate-sp/hair elastic- to pinch it together and form a loose tight center and the bottom on this sweater or blouse falling into place and this takes away from the pouch.  A different belt- I like the ones that hang down after I  loop it at the waist.  I am tall so I like the longer ones that are hard to find. Really what I am talking about these belts are hard to find.  A nice hair do, change your hair color??  nice fashion  jewelry (try Kohles) for upper body will take away from your pouch area.  Get your nails done, DO SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF NOW...…..  wile you think of these suggestions.  Try to have girlie fun!!  I know that I cant wear high heals anymore after my surgery, why ???? even tho I am 5'8"  I liked 3 +inch heels. So, I am now at all times 5'8"  :-) …… Lot of hems to be redone Now it is your turn for add to my idears.  that is how the world works. Best..

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Plaza pants, these r wide legged.....  When standing looks like a long skirt.  Easy to make. A gathered skirt .  Elastic waist - anything elastic waist can be taken in or out-- :-) I started with jean type material for skirts, maternerty pants etc.  Casual first------- ALWAYS WASH ON GENTAL CYCLE-DRIP DRY   After working so hard and spending so much don't want to ruin!! This winter, I see over sized sweaters coming.. great for those M. jeans style pants.   When u find what u like-- buy them out!! And of course, I am into the sweat pants and tops. -- which I though that I would NEVER wear.  Comfy!!  They also come in draw string waist. Now is the time to go for it-- August!! WALMART...…..  :-) Go to thrift shops.  I found some many decent things in there -- Go to the nicer towns with money-- :-) cheep- and a great start for you. I LOVE FASHION OF MY OWN NOW-- and doing my own thing.. Because I am ME and you are  YOU!!  Make a statement !! Also I use a ho-bo bag.  This contains my emergency purse for my pouches and wash cloths in that, and my wallet, etc. This ho-bo- bag will hide that bump when your stoma decides to work over time.. on the way to the bathrooms, or just walking around.  Remember, do not make this bag to heavy, hurts the shoulders. To me this bag is my secure "blankie"  of type.. Now that I cant go to New York City anymore to buy my ho-bo purse's...….  I am finding myself in deep search now.  but boy oh boy!!   Could I find great deals on these in N.Y.C. !! $15-25 bucks real different and nice. Guys had wagons along side the streets, full of them!!  I looked like the "bag Lady" on my many trips to that city!! oh I miss those days!! This is all I can help u with.  Start simple and u will find that simple is the best way.  Then jazz it up.. I know this is long-  but hopefully helpful to anyone to use their imagination to succeed. BE YOU !!! BECAUSE YOUR YOU, NOT SPECIAL JUST YOU !!!!!!!!!! 

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Hi Caroline

There is another thread going now about dressing " Ostomy belt for curvy women' that you might want to check out.

Also, I had a thought that if your stoma is above your waistline you might try a snug fitting vest top ( tank style ) under your blouse. That might help hold things in.

Also vests also provide another layer of camouflage and come in many styles. The ones with the long pointy fronts might be good.

And you can  use patterns to draw the eye away from what you don't want looked at! Time to get out those flowered pants you never wore.

Good luck. More info about your stoma placement would be helpful.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
 Ana
(@Ana)

i just want to say i know exactly how you feel, my ostomy was emergency and not at all my choice. newly diagnosed, i thought i had many years of managing flares with prednisone and otherwise maintaining on meds before anything like this was on the table, and i fought a couple of weeks after i was admitted to the hospital before i was so out of it on meds and sick and my family pressured me to do it despite me saying i wouldn’t be able to cope.

my surgeon decided to do the minimal in terms of closing up the lower half, and a week later i almost died when it perforated and started leaking into my abdominal cavity. so much for the laproscopy, they cut me open cesarean style and put a drain in too. all total i was in the hospital for a month and lost 25 lbs, hobbled out an old woman.

it’s been 7 weeks since the first surgery and i still can’t stand anything pulling on it or pressing on it. i’ve had multiple blow outs of my bags and fails on my rings which have caused severe damage to my skin around the stoma. i can’t wear much with any real comfort and anything i’ve bought to help with this has just made it worse. i empty my bag using a bidet nozzle to wash it out, and rarely leave my home due to the lack of these in the rest of the world.

i used to love to shop and had a ridiculous clothing collection. i bartended at a popular night club in a major city. no more, all my cute club clothes got boxed up and put away as there’s no way i can work there like this or wear those clothes. it was one of the most depressing moments since i left the hospital.

the only thing i’ve ive found i like are drawstring empire waist dark or patterned jersey knit dresses, with lularoe leggings. the cinching is high enough, just under my breasts, to not put any pressure on the stoma site, and the leggings have a wide stretch band more like yoga pants and can fit under my appliance and still feel secure. both these things are very soft too and stretchy.

i’m sorry to hear you’re having a difficult time too, hopefully these small things i’ve been successful with might help you too. i wish you all the best.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Ana, 

I empathize with your struggle, and I wish it never got to that point. 

I would love it if you could start a new topic and list some of the things you've tried and more importantly, the biggest concerns you have. I'm hoping we can collectively offer you some tips to help get you into a better place. 

The blowouts and leaks are not normal - so I think addressing those first would be a good start. 

ReplyQuote
(@Peggy Leland)

Hello. My biggest issue is when I'm wearing pants/capri's/shorts is how do I hide the bludge when your bags fills? I can't always run to a restroom to empty the bag. It makes me very self-conscious.

ReplyQuote
 Jess
(@Jess)

Feel sorry for you I am maybe the matriarch of the group at 84 years had my ileostomy 6 years ago, live in Spain where I have trouble in summer with leakage, I hope by now you are happier life is short. ENJOY

ReplyQuote
(@Lisa smith)

My worst problem is i also have definitely one maybe two hernias behind my stoma, if i do any activity they come out makes me look pregnant and i cant do much with out being in a whole lot of pain i have had this a little over a year I'm trying to manage but thank you for the ideas

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Lisa, have you been able to speak with your surgeon to see if a hernia repair is possible? I tend to view surgery as an option when quality of life suffers too much, and it sounds like the hernias are limiting you. Good luck and thanks for visiting the site.

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

@Lisa smith Hi Lisa, I hope you can talk with a medical person about your pain.

As regards dressing - My ostomy sticks out on that side (no hernia, it just does that, and my 2-piece system compounds this). What works for me - loose, flowy tops or else a shirt ( chambray, denim or oxford cloth usually) unbuttoned over a dark t-shirt (dark seems to hide bulges). In warm weather I roll the sleeves up. 

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi Lisa,

I have to agree on what Eric and Linda are saying. If you are in any discomfort, you should talk to your surgeon ASAP.

I also wear loose tops or a tee shirt with a button-down shirt. It works very well at hiding the obvious! Good luck to you.

Stella

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Denise)

I need clothes not underwear I have a colostomy

ReplyQuote
(@Denise)

My colostomy bag pushes off if it’s inside my clothes the waste is not able to fall into the bag
Please help!!!!did I miss something

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Denise, I'm sorry to hear that. It sounds like you might benefit from a stoma guard or similar accessory to keep your bag from being squished under your clothes. Does your bag sit at your wristband or is it below?

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

Leaving a little air in the bag can help. Have you been wearing a bag with a filter? For some people those can suck air out and create a pancaking problem. I, myself, experienced that and and find what works best for me is a filterless bag, in a two-piece system. So many little tricks to try .... best of luck!

Colostomy 4/30/18.

ReplyQuote
(@Robin Heitt)

I am a new IIIeostomy emergency surgery resipient and was sent home no knowledge it's been trial and error and tears. Like BOHO STYLES AND OVERALL'S WOULD BE GREAT. LOVE DRESSES AND LEGGINGS.
DO YOU CARRY ANY. AND NEED TO BUY SOME WRAPS AND BAG COVER. PLEASE
SEND ME EXAMPLES OF PATTERNS TO PICK FROM AND HOW TO ORDER.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Robin,

I don't sell ostomy products or clothing, but I do have a list of companies who make products specifically for ostomates: https://www.veganostomy.ca/ostomy-clothing-manufacturers

Most of these companies will ship anywhere in the world, but if you live in the US then you shouldn't have many problems finding these items.

Best of luck to you. 

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

Hi Robin - If you are an ostomate who likes boho you’re in luck! I often wear leggings with a boho top or short dress, or an oversized denim or plaid flannel shirt (sometimes open, over a t-shirt or boho top; sometimes with a cardigan sweater over the whole thing). My left side, where my stoma is located, sticks out a little and these hide that pretty well. Sometimes I wear a stretchy Jockey brand undershirt to smooth things out.

I actually enjoy putting together my ostomate outfits!

Colostomy 4/30/18.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3