Community Forums

Did Stoma make you ...

[Closed] Did Stoma make you disabled? why and how, or not?  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

IleosTony
(@ileostony)
Registered
August 19, 2019 2:37 pm  

Since the original poster doesn't have an interest in debating the meaning of disability stating that it's a defined term and implying that said definition is common knowledge across humanity, this makes it fairly easy to answer the clearly subjective question. But Tony, how can you say it's subjective? Well, I can't help but say that because the question is written specifically addressing the second person (you) and requesting that said second person recount personal experience. Without a frame of reference that is clear to all, no two answers are likely to be the same. Here's my answer after a frame of reference that I think most or all of us would feel okay getting behind and trusting, Merriam-Webster.

disability

noun

dis·​abil·​i·​ty | \ ˌdis-ə-ˈbi-lə-tē \

Definition of disability

1 : a physical, mental, cognitive, or developmental condition that impairs, interferes with, or limits a person's ability to engage in certain tasks or actions or participate in typical daily activities and interactions Scientists have tentatively linked the reading disability known as dyslexia to a bevy of brain disturbances.Science News How, with his severe disability, has Hawking been able to out-think and out-intuit his leading colleague-competitors …— Kip S. Thorne Yet one ends up admiring him for his devotion to the disability that could have unmade his career as an actor. It is through his deafness that we hear his story.— Lennard J. Davis also : impaired function or ability Sarcopenia is a loss of muscle mass and strength that normally occurs with aging, and it's a major cause of frailty and disability in the elderly. — Andrew Weil Thrombolytic therapy has been used in patients with acute ischemic stroke to restore cerebral blood flow, reduce ischemia, and limit neurologic disability. — Werner Hacke — see also intellectual disability, learning disability
2a(1) : an impairment (such as a chronic medical condition or injury) that prevents someone from engaging in gainful employment … monthly payment to which a worker is entitled upon retirement or disability under the federal social security system …— Robert I. Mehr
(2) : an impairment (such as spina bifida) that results in serious functional limitations for a minor
b : a program providing financial support to a person affected by disability … those who fit the criteria for dysthymia were more likely to have physical and emotional problems and more likely to be on Medicaid or Social Security disability than those with acute depression.— Melinda Beck also : the financial support provided by such a program … he collects disability on account of his exposure to Agent Orange during his years as an Army MP in Vietnam. — Jason Fagone
3 : a disqualification, restriction, or disadvantage economic disabilities
4 : lack of legal qualification to do something … Defoe … dramatised the gravity of the problem in the morally desperate expedient which Roxana is forced to adopt to overcome the legal disabilities of women.— Ian Watt

<!-- END

-->

So back to the original question. Did my stoma make me disabled? Why and how, or not? Answer, yes, a little bit. Not as much as my blindness has, but some.

Now allow me to take the liberty of attempting to answer the implied question in the original post, that being whether someone other than the original poster should feel insulted to be classified as disabled under any system. That's a personal matter. I can't help but respect your feelings about that, @dogtalkerer. The classification or label of "disabled" bothers you, and that's cool. You're entitled to your feelings just like anyone else. My feeling about myself, to which I'm also entitled, is that I don't care if someone considers me disabled as long as that judgment doesn't actually do me or mine any real harm. I don't find it insulting. If it helps me get some kind of help I would otherwise not be allowed, then slap on the label and give me the help, and please accept my heartfelt thanks.

There's not a thing in the world wrong with either way of thinking. There isn't even anything wrong with disagreeing about it or even being offended at a dissenting point of view, as long as those who express their viewpoints do so with respect.

The wonderful thing about this forum that @veganostomy has created as a labor of love and for us to enjoy free of charge is that discussion and even disagreements, for the most part, do play out with respect, and those who participate, for the most part, do so with dignity and often tenderness toward others as fellow human beings on a difficult path.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

LK, VeganOstomy, SqueakyandLiza and 1 people liked
john68
(@john68)
Registered
August 19, 2019 3:12 pm  

Dogtalker, I think you’re questioning has been well and truly answered. Yes it’s certainly a very debatable question but now I would like to see you offer some tips, help and advice to complement the great advice VO provides!!

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK, VeganOstomy, SqueakyandLiza and 1 people liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 19, 2019 5:14 pm  

I thank everyone for sharing their thoughts on the topic, but I feel it's run its course. 

By definition, requiring an ostomy makes us all "disabled". That is to say, we have a physical condition that limits a bodily function (i.e. our ability to urinate or defecate) and thus requires the use of a medical device in order to live our daily lives.

We may not feel or think that we are disabled. In fact, many of us consistently show the world that we are far from being limited in our ability to live productive, happy lives with a stoma.

As I only see this thread diminishing in usefulness, it will now be closed. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68, LK and IleosTony liked
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register