Community Forums

Have to settle on a...

Have to settle on a product  

RSS

VickiH
(@vickih)
Registered
August 6, 2019 9:29 pm  

coloplast has worked great but bag filter sucks, the click.  The productbis great but pancackes a lot and has gelatin.  Hollister has not worked because of convexity and high acidic output.  Need help To Decide.

LK liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 7, 2019 9:36 am  

There are a LOT of products to try! https://www.veganostomy.ca/ostomy-suppliers-free-samples/

If you need convexity, then that might be a challenge as not all manufacturers offer them. 

Don't expect filters on any bag to last more than a day or two. That's unfortunately where we are at right now, but I do have the best success with Hollister filters. Pancaking is often caused by a filter being too good (i.e. it sucks out too much air, creating a vacuum), so it may just be a matter of covering the filter exit with a sticker until you need to de-gas your appliance.

If you are sorting out products with gelatin, then use this page as a reference: https://www.veganostomy.ca/ibdostomy-resources/vegan-non-vegan-ostomy-supplies/

Good luck!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
August 7, 2019 7:28 pm  

Hi Vicki, your 8 yrs. ahead of what I was when I found  VO and these fine helpers. I did not even know that I had the right to change the type of pouch I wore! Lol! Imagine my surprise at the variety available. The helpful variety if videos Eric has helped me to learn a while lot of things. I eventually changed pouch to the Hollister, and the biggest change aside from using adhesive remover sbd barrier sprays, emis the Osto Ez Vents. (Classified as cosmetic, so not covered) You have to apply them yourself , but they work better then any charcoal type vents. It is much like a beach ball valve you use to let the air out of the bag, not the same as the cat! Wearing a one piece works great  with the vents. Eric has a video on those also. Arthritic hands gave made cause to find easier ways to do things, with little effort. You do not have to be in a hurry to settle on any one type bag, you may want to choose two depending on your activity. Take your yinw choosing what with best for you  :D.

Linda

IleosTony liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
August 7, 2019 7:57 pm  

Hi  Vicki,

I use Coloplast's one-piece light convex and like the way they fit. As Eric pointed out, if you use a shower protector on the filter, it will keep the bag from collapsing.  Also, I use a paste on my barrier since I do have an irregular area around my stoma - it helps things to stick better. Good luck with everything.

Stella

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
August 8, 2019 11:18 am  

Hi Vickie,

Choose the appliance that works best for you and don't worry about the filter. I get filterless bags now and add the Osto EZ-Vent. Well worth the extra cost. ( Amazon has them).

Filters for me ( I use Hollister brand) eventually leaked from the inside. Not good. I use a light convex wafer. If you need convexity do be aware that they are available in light ( less pressure around the stoma) and regular.

You will figure this out.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register