Community Forums

Best product to hea...

Notifications
Clear all

Best product to heal blood around the stoma?  

RSS

raspout66
(@raspout66)
Registered
June 7, 2020 7:42 pm  

I have this persistent bloody and irritated 2 mm ring just around and all around my stoma; every time I change my wafer I can see it, time after time. 

What product would best heal that and stop the blood? I change my wafer every 6 to 8 days without problems aside from this bloody ring that laughs in my face...

Thanks!

Pierre Racine, Québec, Canada.

john68
(@john68)
Registered
June 8, 2020 2:05 am  

Hi Raspout, That sounds painful. Start by measuring the stoma to get a good fit. Also changing the appliance more often and making sure all skin is perfectly dry followed by a light dusting of stoma powder. Always be careful removing the wafer carefully using removal spray so as not to cause more damage. If it persists a visit to a stoma nurse may be a good idea 

SqueakyandLiza and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 8, 2020 11:41 am  

raspout66...I completely agree with John here. This wound sounds angry!  While it's great you get that kind of wear time, your wound not healing says otherwise.  A small sore can lead to a bigger sore if it does not get time to heal, & leaves you open to infection and or a fungus. Have you ever noticed the spongy,  whitish  ring on the wafer, around the hole you cut when you remove it? It likely has some output residue on it too. The acid in this will eat thru your skin and cause the sore to not heal. That is moisture happening that sits on top of your wound, not allowing it to be dry and heal. Changing the wafer every  "two days" or less,  is not unreasonable until this does  heal. Do you use a moldable ring on top of it? Unless you need it for uneven skin issues, try going without it. 

Clean the area thoroughly and use the Adhesive Remover Spray and some Wipes to clean the area. Use several wipes to ensure your removing old wafer residue. If the product stings, find another brand. Then wash the area gently, pat it dry and fan it a bit. Then try & give it some time in the air.  Also, and very important, measure the size of your hole until this heals to make sure your getting the correct fit. Too big a hole & too small can both cause skin issues. Once you determine the size, cut on the other side of the line, this should give the room you need without being too big or too small a hole.  Also, make sure your hole is round. If not,  make adjustments in cutting the hole & there are ideas to help with that . Mine is an upside down D shape.  Also, when cutting, turn the wafer not the scissors. This gives a smoother opening.

Apply some Skin Barrier Spray and fan it dry with the plastic from the back of a wafer. I don't  like getting it on my stoma so I wrap if in tissue or a gauze pad. If sprayed area is  tacky, it's not dry. Fan it to speed up drying.  Also use the Stoma Powder. This helps absorb moisture from the wound. To avoid getting it everywhere, I place it on my index finger in a strip and dab it on the wound. Blow off any extra powder. Use a straw if need be. Don't worry if a light dusting goes elsewhere. Its fine but do not leave a thick area of dry powder on your wound if you can help it.  I switched to Skin Barrier Spray because I felt the wipes removed what I just put on making too thin an area for what my sensitive skin needs  of Barrier. Fan it dry and dab it with a wipe if it's too wet & looks like you put on too much spray. Experiment on the inside of your arm first.  Gently fold your wafer away from you under your stoma in half to apply in the correct place and avoid uneven cover of skin and wound area. Then put your stoma gently in the hole and fold over the top portion in place.  Try to keep the wafer from moisture from your stoma. I tightly roll a square of TP, folded in a triangle,  to push it thru. This helps absorb a bit of the fluids intestine makes to keep wafer dry when inserting stoma. Attach your wafer & use extra time & gentle pressure around the hole and on the whole wafer. Place your hand on top of that to allow hand heat to help give it a better softening time to adhere to your tummy better too. Only about 5 min.

I know it can be time consuming to do this more often till it heals, but it is so worth it. Try and choose the quietest time for output as well. I have even changed mine at 2 a.m. when it is quiet to help heal a wound and not deal with output landing on a fresh cleaned area. Do not rush the process. It is worth it to heal your skin. Once healed you can add wear time back to 6 or 7 days, but not until completely healed up. Like John said, a stoma nurse is a good  idea if it's not showing signs of healing.  Good luck with this and let us know how it goes. 

ReplyQuote
raspout66
(@raspout66)
Registered
June 9, 2020 6:56 am  

@dlkfiretruck

Thanks a lot for your time!

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 9, 2020 1:54 pm  
Posted by: @raspout66

I change my wafer every 6 to 8 days without problems aside from this bloody ring that laughs in my face...

This may be part of the problem. Does your skin heal on its own if you change every 4-5 days? I know that in my experience, going longer than about 5 or 6 days nearly always causes my skin to break down, even when I don't have leaks. 

If my skin does get irritated around the stoma, I almost always use this technique: 

https://www.veganostomy.ca/healing-skin-around-the-stoma/

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
June 17, 2020 3:24 pm  

Hello fellow ostomates - I wasn't sure whether to start a new thread, or tag along here, as my query is related. I mentioned on another thread that I have had a skin flare up, and I have been trying to resolve it, with mixed results, and it is now quite sore again. So I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone used, for example, aloe vera or lavender essential oil or colloidal silver (natural remedies) for example on the sore/bleeding skin, and then allowed this to dry completely, before barrier spray etc., and attaching a new bag? Does the adhesive still work? I would really like to be able to put something very soothing onto the red and sore skin, before attaching the bag.
  2. @john68 and @dlkfiretruck - you both mention stoma powder. I have not used this yet. Does this help to soothe and heal the damaged skin? Can barrier film be sprayed over the top of it? Does the bag stick properly.
  3. Has anyone used Cavilon Barrier Spray? How do you use this, and how many layers of spray do you use before affixing the bag?
  4. @dlkfiretruck - you describe really carefully how you fold back the wafer to get the position right at the bottom of the stoma, and then push the stoma through - are you using a two-part system? I use a one-part bag and I still haven't fathomed how to see where the bottom part of the wafer is in relation to the stoma. I feel as though even if I had two pairs of hands, I still wouldn't get this right. (Two hands to hold the bag, one hand to hold the mirror, and another hand to 'manage' the stoma . . .) I can juggle - and that is a whole lot easier than changing an ostomy bag.

Best wishes and thanks.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
June 17, 2020 3:46 pm  

Hi Mimi, Firstly there is always a reason for sore skin from a reaction to appliance or leaks. Getting those sorted is key. Yes a lot of different remedies can be used to help heal. Just be careful what you put around the stoma and also some items may reduce the ability to stick. I have used calamine lotion, milk of magnesia which will dry to form a crust. Stoma powder can be applying and then dabbed with a barrier wipe and repeated which is called crusting. Never over use any product just a small amount and stick with one until you see how it’s going. Also letting a stoma nurse in on the act is always a good idea.

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 17, 2020 11:53 pm  

@mimi...hello again Mimi! First, I'm impressed that you can juggle! I've tried and only badly bruised apples!  I only successfully juggled kids & toilets!  Lol!! 

I use a one piece Hollister Pouch 8331. It works well. If  putting on the pouch with the wafer bent away from you on, from the bottom to the top is a bit hard to imagine,  why not try it from one side to the other. The wafer is flexible so it should work out fine. I don't use a mirror when  I put mine on, only to check to see how the underside skin is doing because I can see it okay enough by bending the wafer away from me. I just put it on slowly. I think going from side to side may alleviate  the use of a mirror because then you can kind of put it on in 1/4's verses 1/2's. If your belly button is still exposed try it there with a sample bag first maybe, or draw a circle the same size you would cut in the wafer & roll some TP into your approx. Stoma size and tape it to your tummy and practice with that if your concerned, but I think you will do okay with it.  

As far as other products for healing a sore raw area, I did get desperate BEVO, (before Erics Vegan Ostomy...lol! ) and I used a wee tiny bit of Penaten baby Diaper  rash cream on it. I was desperate for relief and applied the thinest amount, just a skiff, of it to my sore under the wafer. Then I applied the Stoma Powder on top of it as directed, then the Barrier wipe as I did not know you could but it in spray form till I found VO. I blew off the extra powder and the wafer stuck on just like it should. I was worried about it sticking close  to the hole but applied a bit of extra time and pressure to the area and honestly, it was all fine. The sore was bad  so I  changed my pouch every day till I started seeing healing happen. More if I felt irritation. It took about 3 days, then every second & moved to third & so forth. The Stoma Powder is soothing as in it does not sting or irritate. It is meant to absorb moisture from the wound to allow the wound to heal. The Powder also has a longer shelf too which is nice. They will send you a sample of it if you can wait 6 weeks. But, DON'T wait. The Stoma Powder is so worth the purchase. Just wipe off the extra powder from your good skin if your worried about it sticking well, but its such a small amount it should not affect the wafer adhering to your skin. 

I hope this helps and that your wound  resolves quickly  for you. If you have any other questions or concerns, that's what this site is about. Support! We are here for you. Eric  has done an amazing thing here, thank you again Eric! Good luck Mimi!

ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
June 18, 2020 6:11 am  

@john68 @dlkfiretruck

Hello John and Linda

Thank you both so much for your helpful supplies.

The original cause of damage to the skin was stitches that wouldn't dissolve. I tried calamine lotion and this worked above the stoma, but not below as there is so much moisture. But I thought I was getting it all under control, and then it started to flare up again.

I have noticed the last couple of days that the wafer has eroded. After the first time, I then paid special attention to the bottom and right side when I was pressing the appliance into place. Then this morning (I changed it yesterday afternoon) I noticed irritation and changed the bag again, with erosion exact same place. I had experimented with Cavilon Barrier Spray, as it can be used on broken skin, counted to 100 and then applied the bag. I wonder if the spray mat not have dried out sufficiently in the damper area below the stoma - but it did seem dry to me.

So - I have today, for the first time, tried the stoma powder. I have not used the Barrier Film Spray. And I will see how this goes.

I am so grateful for this forum and your help, as the soreness is quite painful, and it makes me feel very miserable, and I have found that I am losing confidence with the whole process, so it is brilliant to have people to ask.

My stoma nurse is part-time, and I do check in with her. She has said that forums are the best source of info. Obviously with Covid, I have not had any home visits or personal (actual) contact with the stoma nurse, and I think that this has made it a little more difficult, but just one of those things.

Best wishes.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
June 18, 2020 6:22 am  

Hi Mimi, Yes it’s painful to be sure. The underneath of the stoma can be hard to manage and keep free from moisture when changing. I said on a previous post that I wrap the stoma while I am drying off. A hairdryer on low heat even cool air is very useful. If that’s the spot where the problem is just use part of a ring to cover and that’s gonna be easier to use. The skin when it gets a chance will heal amazingly quickly.

ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
June 18, 2020 9:31 am  

@john68

Hello, thank you. Yes, since I read that you use something to cover the stoma, I have done this when I am drying the skin below the stoma and it has help. I had not thought about using a hairdryer. It would mean doing the changover in the bedroom rather than the bathroom, but it may yet come to that. I had thought about buying one of those small hand-held fans!

I will maybe have another go with a seal. I have used them three times, and had one good experience and two poor ones. But I notice th Eric has used them to heal sore skin too.

Best wishes and thanks.

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 18, 2020 11:35 am  
Posted by: @mimi

I am so grateful for this forum and your help, as the soreness is quite painful, and it makes me feel very miserable, and I have found that I am losing confidence with the whole process, so it is brilliant to have people to ask.

I know how you feel and I'm sure other here have been it that space. Its a big uphill and often you find out as you go! We all will do our bit to help you :-)

My stoma nurse is part-time, and I do check in with her. She has said that forums are the best source of info. Obviously with Covid, I have not had any home visits or personal (actual) contact with the stoma nurse, and I think that this has made it a little more difficult, but just one of those things.

Best wishes.

It took me a long time to get an email address so I could send photos to the nurse so they knew the severity of the problem?

Manuka honey gauze strips might help if you can get the prescribed?

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 18, 2020 11:37 am  

@mimi...I'm  so glad your finding a way to resolve your wound. They are a miserable thing to deal with and can really cause irritation, burning & itching & bleeding. Because a really bad leak I slept thru, the wound I had led me to Erics site.  It's a very forward thinking idea he had starting this site & we all appprecite it very much! 

There are different things you can use to wrap your stoma to help keep your wound dry when  changing pouches. Eric, suggests and uses a gauze to wrap it. Theee are bulk packs available too. Check with your Pharmacy, mine often orders in special products for me as long as I keep buying them. Small town mentality.  I use three squares of toilet paper (TP ) 3 ply but any will do just use more of a 2 ply. 6 squares verses 3 of 3 ply. 

I fold the 3 squares in half to make 1 1/2 sqs. Then I fold it from one corner to the opposite corner to look like the triangle flags.  I say a little prayer to have my stoma behave when I change my pouch & wrap my stoma with  the point starting at the underside of my stoma. I manage to tuck the last end of TP between the TP & my stoma to hold it there, then twist the end of TP a bit tight or closed at the end to keep output in it &  not dropping on my skin. I use 3 ply because 2 ply leaves TP behind on my stoma.  I prep several squares ready to go by committing 1 roll of TP to the wrapping system. Lol! . This is very handy in my rake along bag, in a public room where 1 ply is stupidly used! Disclaimer...Not the opinion of VO or Eric. Just mine! Lol! To have ready for a quick change over. I do this on the toilet then I can drop it into the bowl as need be. I have even used a childs hair clip to hold the end shut, but use a light weight one or it all falls off.  I've  even used scotch tape! 

I use the plastic we remove from the wafer to fan my skin. It feels very nice and ofcourse is good for the skin too & for  healing wounds. After  applying Stoma Powder and Barrier Spray, I have fanned skin for about 2-4 min. I tap the skin around the outer  area to be  covered to make sure it is dry. If it's a bit sticky or tacky fan some more. Trust yourself to judge dryness. I practiced some methods on the inside of my forearm to see how it felt & looked.

As you've noticed, if your wound is weepy you will need more changes but as it heals you can go longer between them. The wound that led me here was so painful I stopped all I was doing and rested only to avoid movement causing further friction irritation to my skin. Lay or sit down in an angle that avoids fluids gathering at stoma and wafer hole. The whole wafer & skin  beyond was nasty for 6 days! I'm not sure what I ate but between sleeping thru it and irritation it was a nasty thing to heal up! I learned so much from Erics site & tried a few things until I had success. Everyone's skin is different so continue to be patient & very  thorough. Avoid oils as they are wet until removed with soap & water and I believe they break down the wafer quicker. 

Hang in there Mimi, your on your way to success! 

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 18, 2020 11:51 am  

I found Cien make up pads quite useful wiping around the stoma and for applying the calamine lotion also coloplast charter hygienic dry wipes (complimentary) are excellent for wrapping around whilst cleaning and applying barrier spray before new wafer.

You will get more proficient and find out what works best for you in time

ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
June 18, 2020 1:33 pm  

A big thank you to everyone. The detail is especially helpful, as it really makes it easier for me to understand the different ways that people attend to their stomas, and gives me different things to try until I find what works for me.

It's useful to know that the barrier spray can be put on top of the stoma powder - I haven't tried this yet, but I will give it a go at the next change. Good tip about oils - I sometimes add a bit of olive oil to the pouch to help with the pancaking that occurs . . . with mixed success. So I will stop this for now.

Posted by: @dlkfiretruck

I have even used a childs hair clip to hold the end shut, but use a light weight one or it all falls off.  I've  even used scotch tape! 

Linda - that sounds very brave . . . I do pray that the stoma is going to be quiet rather than go into full chocolate fountain mode . . . but I have never thought to take such proactive action. I can certainly see how this would help if needing to change away from home, or when under time pressure.

Thanks again everyone for your help, generosity and kindness. It's good to know that there are patient fellow ostomates out there.

Best wishes.

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 19, 2020 3:00 am  

@mimi...Glad to help! BUT, l  need to clarify that the clip and the tape,  is attached to the toilet paper only after it is wrapped around my stoma as it still sticks out about 3/4 " past my stoma, NEVER on the stoma skin, just the TP. lol...that would be brave and kind of bad for the stoma! It tends to bleed a bit when knocked around, I imagine it would rebel something fierce to a clip with little prongs stuck on it forcing it shut. lol!...nope, not good. lol! 

After reading that Eric uses a gauze to wrap around his stoma to prevent the natural fluids it makes, from dripping on clean dry skin ready for a new pouch, having no gauze around, I simply used toilet paper.  You see, I'm so proud! Lol!  My stoma is an Olympic Champion as she once shot output a good four feet across the room decorating the wall across from me in a nice splatter pattern!  lol!  Such fun!!! 

ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
June 19, 2020 3:53 am  

@dlkfiretruck

Hello Linda - thanks for the clarification - I've been trying to work that out. That does make more sense. Impressive projectile output your stoma is capable of - that would have been a surprise! Mine seems very modest, for which I am glad!

Best wishes.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
June 19, 2020 4:47 am  

Hi Mimi. 

I know how awful it can be to have sore skin around your stoma. I went thru a stretch where I was having lots of leaks and my skin was beet red with white blister-like things around the stoma. My stoma nurse put something called marathon on it. It comes in a little tube which you crack (like a glow stick) and you rub it on where your skin is sore. It dries really quick and adds a protective coating to your skin. It is pretty costly and my insurance doesn’t cover it, but it is worth it when I am having skin problems. 

When the skin isn’t as bad, I use crusting (alternating skin prep and stoma powder 2 or 3 times) to add a little protection. Like Linda and John said, you have to remove the excess powder, and do the skin prep last. 

Lately I have been changing my appliance more frequently, both intentionally and due to some recent leaks. More frequent changes has helped me too. In fact, I just had a leak and so had to do a late night change. But it had only been about 48 hours since my last change and I caught the leak fast, so the skin was pretty decent. Didn’t even use powder, just a barrier wipe. 

Good Luck to you, Mimi!!  Oh, and if you have time, we love it when new people post their story in Introductions!!

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Mimi
 Mimi
(@mimi)
Registered
June 19, 2020 10:29 am  

@squeakyandliza

Thanks ever so much for that . . . I'll try the powder and the spray. I guess I could use calamine lotion and the spray in the same way, provided the calamine lotion is dry before application.

Best wishes.

LK liked
ReplyQuote