Clear all

Air leaking from bag  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 9, 2020 9:01 am  

Help! For the past two months, on and off at first and  now more regularly, my bag has been flattening out. Part of that I suppose is that I am not producing the gas I was in the past, but whenever I sit down or wear anything that presses up against my bag it flattens. I do use a filtered SensuraMio light convex, but have always had success using a filter cover. I have always "tweeked" the sides of the precut hole to fit my slightly irregular stoma and use paste on the sides and under side of the barrier where I have slight divits. The stoma and the area around it has not changed that I can tell. My weight has been consistent as well. I have spoken with a Coloplast expert, but I think I have him stumped. Are the bags permeable? Or, and this may sound ridiculous, can air leak back into the stoma? I guess my fear is that I could end up pancaking if I don't have any airspace in the bag. Am I over reacting here?

Trying not to obsess over this, and thanks for any help!!!

Stella

john68
(@john68)
Registered
June 9, 2020 9:21 am  

Hi Stella, I believe that ostomy bag are pressure tested. So I would think no air is gonna get in or out. If you hadn’t have said you where covering the filter I would have blamed that. When putting on a new bag blow some air into it. Also rolled up loo paper inside will help create a space. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 9, 2020 11:31 am  

Hey Stella, if you are using filter stickers and still notice this happening, what happens when you purposely allow air in your bag (i.e. when you've emptied it)? Does it still flatten or does it stay full of air?

If there was a hole somewhere you would smell it! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
June 9, 2020 1:09 pm  

Stella, I occasionally experience this also.  I am a pancaker, and so when I empty (Hollister 2-piece, no filter) I make sure that there is a little air inside (and I rinse, which means there is a little water, also) - and yet occasionally the bag flattens. Like you I have wondered, where has the air gone?  It is an Ostomy Mystery to me, for sure! When it happens I open up the bottom and pull the sides apart to get a little air in there asap.

Colostomy 4/30/18
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 9, 2020 1:33 pm  

@veganostomy

Hi Eric,

After I empty my bag, I open the spout and pull out the top and bottom of the bag, which sucks in the air (at this time I will place drops of lubricant and M9 in the bag) Usually, this allows space in the bag for the fecal matter to drop to the bottom the next time I "go". For the the past few days, the bag seems to be flattening no matter what. There have been no holes for sure! Also, when I change my bag, there is no fecal matter under the barrier. So, this is a mystery!

Today, I am trying an experiment. I have cut out the pre-filter (very carefully - I've seen this done on You Tube). The one thing I don't like about the Mios is that they have an unbelievably strong filter effect. Even putting the shower cover half over the bag doesn't help. 

Thank you for your response.

Stella

PS I always cover the filter completely with the shower covers.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 9, 2020 1:40 pm  

@llholiday 

It's good to know that I am not the only one who has experienced this! I thought I was doing something wrong. I like the Mio because it has done such a great job keeping my skin healthy. I like the filtered bag because it has an opaque covering. Also, for the most part, I had the best of both worlds whenever I covered the filter with the shower cover. It's gets a little frustrating when I can't wear the clothes I have been wearing because of the deflation. I hope I can come to the bottom of this soon!

Thanks for responding!

Stella

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 9, 2020 1:46 pm  

@john68

Hey John,

I will give the toilet paper a try. Thanks for the advice!

Stella

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 9, 2020 1:47 pm  

@sjlovestosing Let us know if cutting the pre-filter helps in any way. It would be interesting to see what exactly causes the problem!

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 10, 2020 4:46 am  

I will upload shortly the mod I done to the filter arrangement. I've tweaked cutting the pre filter out. stop the balloning and I have mod for the vacuum effect.

In advance of this I find that them amount of gas produced digestion effects the way your stoma functions. In the blurb they tell you a stoma never farts Thats a big lie especially if nearby Bagpus - ear defenders can be recommended :-D 

Colostomy Jan 2020

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 10, 2020 9:01 am  

Well, I've had semi-success. Yesterday, while I wore loose clothes, the bag held up fine. This morning, when I put on my stretch jeans, my bag began to deflate and flattened out on my walk. I guess I'll have to give up my jeans (groan!!!) and wear looser fitting garments. No biggie I guess, but I sure will miss my jeans! 

I look forward to what Chris has done regarding modifications. 

Stella

LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
June 10, 2020 2:29 pm  

@sjlovestosing

Hi Stella, 

Don't give up the jeans! I wear slim fitting work clothes during the week and often jeans on the weekends (though mostly sweats/shorts these days at home with my bag hanging out!). I often have a deflated bag with thick output. I actually completely compress my bag (thanks EZ vent) under my work clothes to avoid a bulge. To allow the output to drop and prevent my stoma from getting crushed, I use the stoma dome. It works great over my 2 PC flange. I can't say that it allows me to tuck my shirt in without it being pretty obvious so I've had to abandon this look but I have managed to preserve use of most of my dress pants and jeans with an untucked shirt over them. I even wear slimmer sweaters and accept that there may be a bit of a visible bulge. I'm ok with that. When I have increased discomfort for whatever reason, I'll even leave my bag out over lower cut pants with a bag cover over it. I've had a few second looks but, hey, I'm not going to stay home from work because I'm too uncomfortable to cram my stoma undercover. People walk around with all sorts of prosthetic devices and modifications that make their lives better and this is not different. Plus, there are some pretty sweet covers available! Sorry for the longwinded reply but don't abandon all hope of jeans! 

@ChrisandBagpus

LOL at the stoma not farting. What a crock of s*&t! The vocal register of my stoma is wide and often on full display in quiet conference rooms to the ?amusement of many. It is loud enough to wake my sleeping colleagues. 

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
June 10, 2020 3:01 pm  

@sjlovestosing hi Stella, I gave up my jeans but have been wearing denim leggings that have pockets in the back and a fake fly/pockets in front - i wear my shirts untucked but anything that shows of my denim leggings lookS like I am wearing jeans.

I saw a video somewhere of a young woman who wears black pants (and an untucked shirt) to work - she prefers to keep her bag out and uses a black pouch cover. She says she doesn’t think anyone has ever even noticed.

and .... I saw another video from a young woman who is a runner. She leaves her pouch out, also with a black cover. She said that at first her co-runner friends thought it was a type of fanny pack and asked her where she got it, and if she could carry their keys for them in there!

Colostomy 4/30/18
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 10, 2020 5:49 pm  

Thanks so much for the advice all. For now, I will be happy wearing my cargo pants and maybe invest in some hip huggers - if they can stay up! I figured I could make a bag cover with black material and give that a shot. I also can go back to wearing dresses with a flair waist. 

I love the story  about the women runner!

God bless,

Stella

LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 10, 2020 5:59 pm  
Posted by: @sjlovestosing

Yesterday, while I wore loose clothes, the bag held up fine. This morning, when I put on my stretch jeans, my bag began to deflate and flattened out on my walk.

Was this with the filter sticker covering the filter? 

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 10, 2020 7:14 pm  

@veganostomy

Yup, I have a the shower cover over the filter. This has always worked in the past. The Coloplast expert sent me some precut Mios in the next size up. He figured that maybe by tweeking the barrier, I might have been pushing my luck, but I never had an issue with flattening despite my tweeking. He also didn't think that it was the fault of the product. We'll see.

Stella

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
June 11, 2020 2:13 pm  

yes, most plastics are permeable, and yes they probably pressure test bags, maybe not all though.  but this is 2 different conversations.   a quick pressure test would not show permeability.   permeating takes time, why the bags will start stinking 3-5days in.

I find the tail end of the coloplast  really isn't air tight.  and if you loosely roll the bag up, less air tight.   that's one reason why i do not rinse bags, the water residue tends to dirty up the tail so midnight burping is not clean.  

if you do not rinse, then the filter is working.  isn't it uncomfortable bending over with snug clothing on with air in the bag? I can't stand that feeling myself.

how does air in bag help at night? you are either on your back,side, or stomach, in all situations nothing can drop to bottom of bag.    if the bags are flattening are you getting leaks right away?

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 11, 2020 7:23 pm  

@dogtalkerer

Thanks for your reply and answering my initial question. It explains that too much pressure on the appliance could cause the air to be pushed out. 

Yes, I  agree, it is uncomfortable to bend if there is too much air in the bag . It is a balancing act to get just the right amount of air in the appliance.

In regard to having air in the bag at night, if there is enough, and I lay on my right side, the fecal matter lands to the side and then when I get up, it generally slides to the bottom. I sleep slightly propped up as I have sinus issues and being elevated helps me to breathe easier and as an added bonus,  keeps the feces from pancaking.

God bless,

Stella

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 13, 2020 1:06 pm  

I have finally had success! I had wondered if using a size up for the barrier would help to solve the problem and so Coloplast sent me some samples. I've put on one of the samples this morning, without cutting out the pre-filter and using the shower cover over the filter, and so far, so good. The supreme test was putting on a pair of jeans and sitting while playing my guitar. It is still holding! WOOHOO!!! I'll let you know if this is still the case by Tuesday, when I change my bag. Thanks for all the advice!

Stella

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 15, 2020 4:48 pm  
Posted by: @sjlovestosing

I had wondered if using a size up for the barrier would help to solve the problem and so Coloplast sent me some samples.

What size were you coming from and what size did you sample? That's very exciting! 

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 15, 2020 5:41 pm  

@veganostomy

Eric,

I am coming from a 1 1/8" to a 1 1/4". So far it is staying inflated and no pancaking!

My only problem is that my supplier will exchange one of the two boxes of 1 1/8" sizes that I got in late May, because they won't take back any box that has been opened. I accidentally opened one of the new boxes thinking I was opening already opened box from the month before. I may have to donate the opened box. Normally, I place a removable sticker on the boxes that I just received to designate them as unopened. Oh well, I'l be more careful in the future!

Stella

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2