Clear all

Air leaking from bag  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 16, 2020 10:19 am  

An update: The bag held well except that when I removed it for an appliance change, because more skin around the stoma was showing, there was more fecal matter on the skin. I am not sure, over the long haul how that will affect that area. Anyway, I tried using an appliance from the 2nd box I ordered back in April (these are the boxes I've been using from) and immediately, it went flat. So I took that one off and put on another. It held for a while, but also went flat. Then an idea hit me - try one from the box I ordered in May (see previous post). So far that's been holding well. When I called Coloplast last week and suggested that this particular batch could have issues, they said "no" as no one else complained about it. Again, we'll see how things go. It's possible that the two boxes from April had issues or it could have been a fluke.

Stella

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
June 16, 2020 11:20 am  

Hi Stella,

Just because no one else complained about it doesn't mean it didn't happen. 

Not a good response. Good luck with the other batches.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
June 16, 2020 11:32 am  

Hi Stella, I agree with Dona, can I also say just be cautious about too much skin being exposed as it will suffer.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
June 16, 2020 11:49 am  

I have doubts that bags were designed to hold air, reason for the filter. plus the drain end clearly is not an air tight seal.  I would agree with coloplast, if the bag is not leaking stink or solid/liquid its doing its job.  stinky air leaks can be common around the flange with bending or just time.  hard to blame manufacturing though.

with my colostomy, brown stained skin is not a problem.    the pH of colostomy output is closer to 7 or neutral than compared to the ileostomy,  which apparently often causes skin problems.  the two are not the same.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 16, 2020 2:22 pm  

@dona

Hi Dona,

I think you are right about that one. Sometimes, the manufacturer doesn't want to admit when there has been a problem with its product.  I am not putting the blame anywhere, though. However, I don't think that, if it happens again, I'll let them off so easily.

Stella

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 16, 2020 2:23 pm  

@john68

I also tend to agree with you concerning skin exposure to feces. I'd rather not take the chance!

Stella

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 16, 2020 2:53 pm  

You are right, dogtalkerer in saying that colostomates have a ph of about 6.6 and that ileostomates, because of their acidic feces, must be more careful. However, I don't like the idea of unnecessarily exposing my skin to fecal matter. 

Also, after changing my appliance this morning for the 3rd time (they say that the 3rd times a charm and it is!) my bag has been holding enough air so that I don't pancake. I have done it this way for the past two years with hardly any problems.  I just find it odd that for the past month or more, I've had to change my bags almost every day. I can't help but think that I had two boxes with flawed products. 

Stella

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
June 16, 2020 3:41 pm  
Posted by: @dogtalkerer

the pH of colostomy output is closer to 7 or neutral than compared to the ileostomy,  which apparently often causes skin problems.  the two are not the same.

Not just pH differences, but ileo output can also contain enzymes and bile, which break down skin very quickly. 

Posted by: @dogtalkerer

I have doubts that bags were designed to hold air,

Probably not primarily designed for air, but they do have to hold it! I'd be interested in stress-testing a few bags (without filters) to see how much weight can be applied to an inflated bag before it pops, and also to see how long it might take (if at all) to deflate with 5lbs of weight on it 24 hours a day. When I have time... :mrgreen: 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
June 16, 2020 4:30 pm  

Just curious now about the ph balance, enzymes and bile - would this mean that the bags would in theory tend to break down/deteriorate more quickly for ilios?

Colostomy 4/30/18
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
June 16, 2020 4:36 pm  

It’s not gonna shorten the life span of the bag, but a barrier ring and the wafer will get eroded more quickly. They are their to break down food so like to do the same 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2