Notifications
Clear all

Aggressive Toweling  

RSS

glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
May 2, 2020 10:39 am  

Hey Everybody.  I hope you're okay and staying healthy.  I just wanted to share a bit of a funny story.  A few days ago, I discovered an unexpected advantage of two-piece bags over one-piece bags.  I had just gotten out of the shower and I was drying off.  I guess I'm a bit aggressive with my towel work, because without warning, and without my knowledge, I grabbed my bag with the towel and forcefully pulled it off of the flange in one mighty yank with a loud pop.  I didn't feel much because it happened so fast.  But, all I could think of is how much that would have hurt if I was wearing a one-piece bag.  😆  

Stay strong!

Glenn 

LK and VeganOstomy liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 5, 2020 10:16 am  

I've always had a slight fear of 1pc appliances because of that very reason. Not that I've ever had my bag tugged to the point where I'd be concerned about it coming off or causing skin damage, but reading your story reminds me that it IS possible. 

Keep in mind that not all 2pc systems would have that same advantage. Coloplast and B-Braun have locks on their appliances, which could have caused a painful result in that situation! 

glenn.giroir and LK liked
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
May 5, 2020 6:08 pm  

@veganostomy

I did also think that I was fortunate to not be wearing a Coloplast bag.  😆

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
May 5, 2020 9:56 pm  

Yeah, Coloplast click would have ripped off of your body before coming apart. 😂

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
May 6, 2020 1:01 am  

@squeakyandliza

😆

LK and SqueakyandLiza liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
May 6, 2020 1:24 pm  

Nothing like a good chuckle!! I wear a one piece Hollister with the filter and an osto ez vent! Not once have I come near having it fall off, tugged of or pushed off. It always needs intended treatment to remove it. Lol! 

I can well imagine your surprise Glenn! Lol! Much like being forced into a sudden nap by anemia with a full and  open pouch in hand and on the toilet! I still feel sorry for my dog that night! The look of disgust, sarcasm and interest was unmistakable! Lol! 

Thanks for sharing! Lol!

dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
May 22, 2020 2:10 pm  

Interesting, I'm just the opposite.     while having something tug hard on the bag is not fun, having the bag pull off as a fail-safe is the last thing I want happening.  another thumbs down for 2 piece bags as i see it.  try it, grab some skin and tug hard, it hurts a bit for sure, but the result having output all over yourself is even worse as I see it.

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
May 28, 2020 9:22 pm  

@dogtalkerer

I was lucky in that I always empty and rinse out my bag before showers.  You have a great point though.  

ReplyQuote
JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
May 29, 2020 6:55 am  

@dogtalkerer

I get such a tight seal with my product that a thick layer of skin would come off if by some feat the wafer were ripped off. I would take a sh*t shower over that any day. As I see it, that’s a plus for a 2 piece. I’m not a fan of blowouts but there are many worse things in life. Like bodily harm. 

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
May 29, 2020 11:17 am  

JTVT, I see no reason to have such fears that make a 2 piece more desirable.  really, what would /could pull on a bag that hard as to cause skin to tear?  this is unfounded fear.   the plastic on a 1 piece will tear off the  flange before skin would tear, I've pull these apart before to see how well the seal is.     then what is the likelihood that this will even ever happen?  has this ever happened to anyone?    I have a mio click to try out, but really the thing looks and feels uncomfortable in my hands, my agility and range of motion is more important to me than sitting in fear. 

ReplyQuote
JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
May 30, 2020 6:11 pm  

@dogtalkerer

I’m sorry it was lost in translation but my post above was part hyperbole. The whole 1 PC vs 2 PC is funny. It doesn’t really matter what others use. It’s whatever works best for you. And I don’t live in fear of my bag getting ripped off! I work in an office setting so that would have to be one pissed off coworker or patient to rip my bag from my body (again, joking, I’m not scared of an assault on my ostomy bag ;-)

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
May 30, 2020 7:33 pm  

Yup, I agree about preference. Everyone has their own comfort zone. I am a one-piecer, myself. Partly, because when I was using the Mio click, I had a difficult time putting the bag on. Also, as I get older, I find that it's easier using a one-piece appliance. I am a fan of the Sensura Mio as I have never had skin issues. I do have one question - though it may be obvious to most - can sweating because of very warm climate cause the bag to leak? Just putting that out there. Thanks!

Stella

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
May 31, 2020 2:33 pm  

I use a Hollister two-piece - I would like to use a one-piece without a barrier ring (to try to lower the profile) but  found when I used a one-piece sample that I got leaking/seeping fairly quickly, within 24 hours, under the flange. Would a barrier ring help, or would it just weaken the whole attachment, do you think?

I am happy with how the Hollister two-piece works, generally, but it really sticks out as that side of my stomach has really curved out as the surgery healed (I don’t have a hernia, they say).

ps The two-piece has come apart on me at the coupling a few times in the two years that I have my ostomy; I have not been able to figure out why.

ReplyQuote
zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
June 1, 2020 12:29 pm  

I could see how something like that could happen with the two piece bags I used since they had this little tab on top that I think you pulled up on to snap the bag off. I never had that happen though.

Thinking your bag might come off because it gets tugged isn't fun. I had an awful experience with that once. One day when I was in kindergarten my teacher told me she wasn't  going to be there the next day so we would have a substitute. She showed the guy how to empty, but when he took me to do it the next day he didn't do it right. After he poured water in the bag to empty and rinse it out, he pulled hard on it several times in a row which was really painful because of it pulling on my skin. I thought he would pull the bag off my body. Made me afraid something like that would happen again, though it never did.

ReplyQuote
JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
June 1, 2020 4:26 pm  

@llholiday

I always use a barrier ring to protect the granulation tissue I have on the underside of my stoma. I worry about the sharper edge of the wafer rubbing and causing a lot of bleeding. It’s really friable tissue that bleeds an impressive amount. I’ve used the barrier ring with a one piece coloplast and it worked just fine. Same great seal I get with the 2 PC so you might give it a try. I should warn you that I may get an unusually good seal from these wafers so YMMV. I’ve tested an appliance on for 7 days and no leak. The pouch starts looking a bit ragged at that point but the wafer is usually fine.  I use the Adapt rings with Mio click rather than coloplast’s rings as I get a better seal with the Adapt. It’s been a good system so far. Good luck!

ReplyQuote