Clear all

Aggressive Toweling  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
May 2, 2020 10:39 am  

Hey Everybody.  I hope you're okay and staying healthy.  I just wanted to share a bit of a funny story.  A few days ago, I discovered an unexpected advantage of two-piece bags over one-piece bags.  I had just gotten out of the shower and I was drying off.  I guess I'm a bit aggressive with my towel work, because without warning, and without my knowledge, I grabbed my bag with the towel and forcefully pulled it off of the flange in one mighty yank with a loud pop.  I didn't feel much because it happened so fast.  But, all I could think of is how much that would have hurt if I was wearing a one-piece bag.  😆  

Stay strong!

Glenn 

LK and VeganOstomy liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 5, 2020 10:16 am  

I've always had a slight fear of 1pc appliances because of that very reason. Not that I've ever had my bag tugged to the point where I'd be concerned about it coming off or causing skin damage, but reading your story reminds me that it IS possible. 

Keep in mind that not all 2pc systems would have that same advantage. Coloplast and B-Braun have locks on their appliances, which could have caused a painful result in that situation! 

glenn.giroir and LK liked
ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
May 5, 2020 6:08 pm  

@veganostomy

I did also think that I was fortunate to not be wearing a Coloplast bag.  😆

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
May 5, 2020 9:56 pm  

Yeah, Coloplast click would have ripped off of your body before coming apart. 😂

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
May 6, 2020 1:01 am  

@squeakyandliza

😆

LK and SqueakyandLiza liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
May 6, 2020 1:24 pm  

Nothing like a good chuckle!! I wear a one piece Hollister with the filter and an osto ez vent! Not once have I come near having it fall off, tugged of or pushed off. It always needs intended treatment to remove it. Lol! 

I can well imagine your surprise Glenn! Lol! Much like being forced into a sudden nap by anemia with a full and  open pouch in hand and on the toilet! I still feel sorry for my dog that night! The look of disgust, sarcasm and interest was unmistakable! Lol! 

Thanks for sharing! Lol!

dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
May 22, 2020 2:10 pm  

Interesting, I'm just the opposite.     while having something tug hard on the bag is not fun, having the bag pull off as a fail-safe is the last thing I want happening.  another thumbs down for 2 piece bags as i see it.  try it, grab some skin and tug hard, it hurts a bit for sure, but the result having output all over yourself is even worse as I see it.

ReplyQuote
glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
May 28, 2020 9:22 pm  

@dogtalkerer

I was lucky in that I always empty and rinse out my bag before showers.  You have a great point though.  

ReplyQuote
JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
May 29, 2020 6:55 am  

@dogtalkerer

I get such a tight seal with my product that a thick layer of skin would come off if by some feat the wafer were ripped off. I would take a sh*t shower over that any day. As I see it, that’s a plus for a 2 piece. I’m not a fan of blowouts but there are many worse things in life. Like bodily harm. 

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
May 29, 2020 11:17 am  

JTVT, I see no reason to have such fears that make a 2 piece more desirable.  really, what would /could pull on a bag that hard as to cause skin to tear?  this is unfounded fear.   the plastic on a 1 piece will tear off the  flange before skin would tear, I've pull these apart before to see how well the seal is.     then what is the likelihood that this will even ever happen?  has this ever happened to anyone?    I have a mio click to try out, but really the thing looks and feels uncomfortable in my hands, my agility and range of motion is more important to me than sitting in fear. 

ReplyQuote
JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
May 30, 2020 6:11 pm  

@dogtalkerer

I’m sorry it was lost in translation but my post above was part hyperbole. The whole 1 PC vs 2 PC is funny. It doesn’t really matter what others use. It’s whatever works best for you. And I don’t live in fear of my bag getting ripped off! I work in an office setting so that would have to be one pissed off coworker or patient to rip my bag from my body (again, joking, I’m not scared of an assault on my ostomy bag ;-)

LK liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
May 30, 2020 7:33 pm  

Yup, I agree about preference. Everyone has their own comfort zone. I am a one-piecer, myself. Partly, because when I was using the Mio click, I had a difficult time putting the bag on. Also, as I get older, I find that it's easier using a one-piece appliance. I am a fan of the Sensura Mio as I have never had skin issues. I do have one question - though it may be obvious to most - can sweating because of very warm climate cause the bag to leak? Just putting that out there. Thanks!

Stella

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
May 31, 2020 2:33 pm  

I use a Hollister two-piece - I would like to use a one-piece without a barrier ring (to try to lower the profile) but  found when I used a one-piece sample that I got leaking/seeping fairly quickly, within 24 hours, under the flange. Would a barrier ring help, or would it just weaken the whole attachment, do you think?

I am happy with how the Hollister two-piece works, generally, but it really sticks out as that side of my stomach has really curved out as the surgery healed (I don’t have a hernia, they say).

ps The two-piece has come apart on me at the coupling a few times in the two years that I have my ostomy; I have not been able to figure out why.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
June 1, 2020 12:29 pm  

I could see how something like that could happen with the two piece bags I used since they had this little tab on top that I think you pulled up on to snap the bag off. I never had that happen though.

Thinking your bag might come off because it gets tugged isn't fun. I had an awful experience with that once. One day when I was in kindergarten my teacher told me she wasn't  going to be there the next day so we would have a substitute. She showed the guy how to empty, but when he took me to do it the next day he didn't do it right. After he poured water in the bag to empty and rinse it out, he pulled hard on it several times in a row which was really painful because of it pulling on my skin. I thought he would pull the bag off my body. Made me afraid something like that would happen again, though it never did.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
JTVT
 JTVT
(@jtvt)
Registered
June 1, 2020 4:26 pm  

@llholiday

I always use a barrier ring to protect the granulation tissue I have on the underside of my stoma. I worry about the sharper edge of the wafer rubbing and causing a lot of bleeding. It’s really friable tissue that bleeds an impressive amount. I’ve used the barrier ring with a one piece coloplast and it worked just fine. Same great seal I get with the 2 PC so you might give it a try. I should warn you that I may get an unusually good seal from these wafers so YMMV. I’ve tested an appliance on for 7 days and no leak. The pouch starts looking a bit ragged at that point but the wafer is usually fine.  I use the Adapt rings with Mio click rather than coloplast’s rings as I get a better seal with the Adapt. It’s been a good system so far. Good luck!

LLNorth and LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 2, 2020 5:17 am  

@dogtalkerer...in answer to your  question about what could pull on a pouch so hard  that it would cause skin to tear? How about the doctor doing the scope who simply rips the pouch off my stomach without due care and attention oblivious to the damage he has caused.  My skin tore "badly" in "several places" and took over "seven weeks" to "finally heal!!!" This is not at all an "unfounded fear".  It can and does  happen as there are times the wafer looks like its  velcro attached to my skin which is why I use a Spray Adhesive  Remover along with the Adhesive Remover  Wipes. I live in a very warm dry climate.

The plastic on the one piece Hollister would "not tear" off  or  apart before the skin. You make a lot of unfounded accusations and remarks that tell of your inexperienced immaturity no matter your age. I suggest you only speak off what you know "not what you seem to think" is gospel truth and  guard your verbal diarrhea. This is prime example why I do not waste my time answering your posts.

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 2, 2020 5:48 am  

@sjlovestosing and LLNorth...I think anytime moisture is under the wafer it could very well hinder the wear time of any pouch. I used a Barrier  Ring for the longest time and tired of cleaning the sticky residue from it. I never went back to using it again. I spend extra time placing gentle pressure around the opening of the stoma hole and use a warm  hot water bottle to secure it fully. I think the extra time around the stoma hole pays off as I can get 7 to 9 days wear time without an issue even while gardening & doing housework or grooming my dogs. We live in a hot dry climate.

The good thing about the Barrier Ring is it can be shaped to the size , width & height you need. I would encourage you to give that a whirl or spend the extra time with rubbing gentle pressure around the stoma opening.

zhtfreak...that had to be a horrible experience for you all around. I'm so glad it never happened when the possibilty was surely there. 

ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
June 2, 2020 5:54 am  

@dlkfiretruck

Wow Linda that was some really bad doctor! Its a great shame the state your were in at the time you couldn't just jump up an bop him (Assume it was a him) on the nose more than well deserved in that case - Or booked him in for a Brazilian :twisted: .

I agree with you that a adhesive remover I reckon is a must it certainly reduces the skin trauma My skin goes pinky red for a while after removing the wafer. That's why I did the post awhile back about "Going commando :-D ). I particularly noticed that the adhesive remover vary I reckon the Brava better removes the adhesive of the Mio bags from the skin another one I used tended to leave residue. I often spray some adhesive on to a facial pad and clean around the stoma to remove more residue. Also I often put some Calamine lotion recommended by the nurse to reduce the stinging and redness

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
June 2, 2020 7:01 am  

@chrisandbagpus...hey there Chris! Lol!! Yes, the remover spray is highly helpful to reduce skin trauma. If your still getting red skin, go slower and use more spray but give a tad more time to  soften the adhesive and remover it in smaller sections. I spray it on the wipes also, it does help. I might go thru one can over three  changes depending on how stuck it is.

Do you use the Skin Barrier Spray or Wipes? If not you should give it a try. I have super sensitive skin and use a little more then I used too, because of the spray. I found wipes took off what I put on and never allowed for a good cover, dabbing them or not. Try it on the inside of your arm first. Dry it and see the difference in a good light. I find this helps tremendously with irritated skin  I rarely experience that warm sometimes puffy  redness anymore and I fan it dry with the wafer cover. They will send you spray samples too. I would hate to be a man growing hair beneath it! Yikes! My fine hair is nothing to compare or complain about! 

Believe you me, had I not experienced "locked in syndrome" on that scope, I would have bopped him one for sure! Lol! Drugged but fully aware! Wow, some experience  that was!

After waiting till my skin healed and taking dated  pictures to show him of his work, even before replacing the pouch in the hospital that day, I had pictures of it all, including the output all over my abdomen.  I waited to have the chance to get my words together then I did a show and tell He said He  would never forget! He apologized profusely when I told him I heard everything said during it and  a personal conversation, plus I had a pretty accurate  count of  the times he told me to "settle down and relax" withou even looking in my direction. The physical pain,  hurt and anger I felt toward him that day led to a lot of TRUST issues. I'm grateful he apologized and the look on his face told me he knew it was enough to warrant a lawsuit of some kind, but I don't believe in sueing an individual. Yes, I told him that too.  I told him I would not be going back to him unless it was a life and death emergency and he was the only surgeon available. 

I so appreciate my GP's month long replacement,  locating a competent GI who specializes in malnourishnent/absorption issues. She is a wonderful young woman who did my last scope ever successfully and used enough of the right drug combo to knock me out and  diagnose me correctly. 

Chris, I believe in God and the power of prayer and I have been praying for your battle & recovery. My Dad  lost his Cancer battles  last July but it started in his bowel. I'm afraid his opting off certain treatments, a stone also,  led to his final call. Continue to be strong, get your rest, and heal up! It's nice having you here! 

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
June 2, 2020 9:19 am  

@dlkfiretruck

Thank you, Linda for the advice. Usually, I put on my bag right after a shower. My stoma nurse showed me how to do exactly what you described - I also put pressure on the barrier around the stoma area. This is particularly important to me as I have a light convex system. When I need to change my bag before I get a chance to shower, I take the barrier and place it against my skin using my underpants to hold it there for a few minutes. This is a trick my stoma nurse taught me as well. 

Stella

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2