Community Forums

Any ideas for pumpkins  

RSS

john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 25, 2017 2:37 pm  

My other half has been buying pumpkins for Halloween decorations, any one got any recipes for soups/pies or indeed any thing else pumpkin related. Would you believe before these strange orange objects landed here on the Emerald Isle it was the humble turnip that was hollowed out and fitted with a candle! Next time you meet an Irish person with a finger missing it was probably a turnip related incident.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK and Robert liked
Bill Bell
(@bago)
Registered
October 25, 2017 3:41 pm  

I was driving by a Mexican restaurant this week and a sign out front said:

Try out pumpkin spice tacos.  Underneath is said: (Just Kidding)

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

LK, Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 25, 2017 4:24 pm  

Thats a pity cos it sounds good.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
October 25, 2017 5:10 pm  

Hey John I read something on that the other day . Can you imagine trying to carve a turnip ?Lol

Subtotal colectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 25, 2017 5:17 pm  

I've had roasted pumpkin before, but haven't considered making anything this year. Soups do sound nice, though!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 25, 2017 5:55 pm  

Yep never thought of roasting, the soup needs a lot of spice to give it some flavour and goes well with crackers

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 25, 2017 8:05 pm  

Ohhhhhh  Johns not talkimg to me>>>>>>>>>

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 25, 2017 8:11 pm  

I always love the roasted salted Pumkin seeds..  Snapping them on an open fire?  Brings in the holidays..But that is a gonner on OUR diet.. And remember the pop corn balls? that is a gonner too- Fun to make anyway.. 

But the pie for the holidays????? Yummy!!! 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

LK, VeganOstomy and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 26, 2017 1:56 am  

Never had pumpkin pie so would be to hear recipes , any tips would luv to hear

LK liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 26, 2017 11:09 am  
Posted by: john68

Never had pumpkin pie

This is shocking! Pumpkin pies have been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. Even now, I don't get a cake for my birthday, I get a pumpkin pie! 

We've made several already using store-bought pie crust, canned pumpkin pie filling and an egg substitute (I believe my daughter will use ground flax seeds in some water or non-dairy milk to make the "eggs").

I don't believe we've made one from scratch recently, but if we were to, it would likely be this one:

Vegan Gluten-Free Pumpkin Pie

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 26, 2017 11:27 am  

Gee that's great, it looks so different than I imagined, growing up we had more turnips than pumpkins lol.

LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Registered
October 26, 2017 4:56 pm  

Try making a warm wonderful stew (vegan or mear). Hollow a good size pumpkin and remove seeds. Bake the stew inside the pumpkin instead of a pot.  You end up with the stew and roasted pumpkin (a lot like squash).  Have a fun party and bake the stew in small individual pumpkins for everyone.  Yummy!

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, polymyalgia rhumatica, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. 6 bouts of c-diff, failed fecal transplant. Complete colonectomy and ileostomy July 30, 2018. ENOUGH!!

LK, VeganOstomy and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 26, 2017 5:48 pm  

That's sounds class and so different, plus no dishes to do

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 26, 2017 5:54 pm  

Hey John, read the back of the can of pumpkin.. That is it.. 

LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 26, 2017 6:24 pm  

John, you have missed something real good!!  Just plop on some whip cream on your slice of pie, and heaven.. Hum  Looks likes these holidays I will NOT be in the hospital like all the other years, Maybe I can gain some weight during them huh?  Which me luck!!  Something has to give!! 5"8 and 114 pounds not good--  I gain 4 pounds one day and loose 6 pounds the next.. Every year I loose 4-5 pounds as a keeper.. Cant go on this way-Maybe my sons should hang me outside as their skeleton huh? Put on body tights-Kids will laugh at me or scream that a human can look like this-so bad!!  Anyone having trouble gaining weight after an ileostomay out there? 

LK and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 26, 2017 6:30 pm  

Now that sounds good, plus don,t be so hard on yerself

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 26, 2017 6:41 pm  

John, I am just so upset that I don't have fighting weight!!  I keep loosing-keep eating and nothing..  I am sure there are many out there that say wish that was me-but sick weight loss is not healthy weight loss. Like stress weight loss is not healthy either..  Been 3 years now, and going down 4-5 pound even more the passed 2 years, as a reg. weight for  me.. I don't want to get s sick again at this weight.. (well if I do, I do)   Funny, last year during Thanksgiving, I was sent to the nursing home and they were giving me weights that were 1/3 my weight to lift.. (seriously?) Like-- I cant do this lifting!!  It will kill me number one, and number two, I am not allowed to lift these weights in my condition.. READ MY CHART!!!!!!! 

ReplyQuote
stellajames942
(@stellajames942)
Registered
November 14, 2019 12:01 am  

@veganostomy

It seems a great recipe. 

Black Friday discount codes

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
November 14, 2019 12:10 pm  

You can add mashed pumpkin to muffins, loaves, coffee cakes ect. Eric posted a guide for replacement eggs. If you buy pumpkin in a can make sure it is pumpkin only, not the pumpkin pie filling this way you can add your own spices to your taste. E. D. Smith makes a great can if pumpkin filling and there recipe on label is what I use too. I add cloves (ground) to mine. To add to muffins and such, start with a 1/4 - 1/2 c. Pumpkin only. Then adjust a bit of flour to the right consistency you like to work with that makes you muffins look like the batter usually does look. You can add any spice in any amount you like. Test with a toothpick, to come out clean and no batter or sticky crumbs sticking before removing from the oven. No temps. Adjusted, just the same as called for. Time will vary on baking. You can add to cookies as well. Brand names often have recipes you can make from there products. Check out there website! Have fun with it. Now I want pumpkin muffins! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register