Community Forums

vegan dogs  

RSS

Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
December 27, 2017 11:06 am  

Here is a link to an interesting article about feeding dogs a Vegan diet. Hope it is helpful:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-dawn-dogs-vegetarian-20171227-story.html

It is from the Op/Ed pages of the Los Angeles Times. January 27, 2017.

Worth a read.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 27, 2017 11:17 am  

Thanks for sharing this.

We gave vegan dog food a try several years ago when we were fostering dogs - our results were pretty mixed.

Some dogs seemed to do just fine and others developed loose stools, skin problems, and exacerbation of joint issues.

I do believe that anyone with a dog should at least give it a try to see how their dog tolerates it, but I disagree that vegan dog food is affordable like regular brands. 

While I don't buy cheap dog food, the vegan equivalent is approx. 2-3x more expensive. 

Mind you, I should add that if you have a small dog then cost won't be too substantial. Some large breeds can go through a lot of food, and that's where it can become expensive.

Edited: 4 months  ago

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 27, 2017 11:18 am  

Hi Dona, most of the time it would be shocking to know whats in our food, you really don,t wouldn,t want to know whats in yer pets. My wife has a friend who feeds her Old English Sheep dog on veg, ye want to see the dog going BANANAS for carrots. and apples it love as a treat as well but remove the pips

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
December 27, 2017 11:46 am  

Yes, I figured it would depend on the dog and the relative cost. A lot of people already spend huge amounts on their dogs trying to fix things like itchy skin etc, so for them it might be worth a try. I thought the part about how dogs have evolved to live with humans was interesting.

Our next door neighbor dog ( who we walk) loves carrots but won't touch celery. Maybe a cautionary tale. P.S. he is a 130 pound chocolate Labrador..a real sweetie too ( good thing!).

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register