I’m very proud to announce Ostomeme, a new project that I’ve been working on!
When I started VeganOstomy in 2013, I wanted to share my experiences and offer helpful information for other people living with IBD and/or an ostomy.
I’ve always tried to use humor to help diffuse stressful circumstances, including coping with living with a chronic illness.
Internet memes have been something I’ve enjoyed reading and making over the past many years, and it only makes sense to combine the humor in memes with helping patients to better enjoy life.
An Internet meme is a concept or idea that spreads “virally” from one person to another via the Internet. An Internet meme could be anything from an image to an email or video file; however, the most common meme is an image of a person or animal with a funny or witty caption. SOURCE
Ostomeme has been created to give the community of chronically ill patients (and those living with an ostomy) an opportunity to both create, share, and consume memes and humor in a safe environment.
One goal of Ostomeme is to create an interactive, community-driven experience for its users.
Several of the features currently available today include:
- Creating and uploading memes, either from scratch or from memes you’ve already created.
- You can vote on memes and also “react” to them. These votes and reactions will help to promote popular memes and will (over time) help to sort memes out into various groups of reactions.
- There is a point system that rewards users for interacting on the website, posting new content, etc. The leaderboard shows your standing and the points will be used to unlock “achievements” in the future :)
- There’s is a commenting system for users to comment and reply to specific posts.
- Sharing options are available on every post (please use them!).
More features are planned, and I’m hoping the community will offer feedback on features they want to see. Just like how VeganOstomy has evolved to serve the patient community in ways that it needed, I hope that Ostomeme can do the same!
Please, join Ostomeme.com, and let your humor run wild! =)