Wishing you all a H...

Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving  

RSS

sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
November 25, 2019 9:09 am  

Hi everyone,

Wishing you all here in the USA and wherever else it is celebrated, an early Happy Thanksgiving. My hubby and I are going to see relatives for several days, so if I don't respond to the posts or emails, I am not snubbing you - we just don't have a data plan with our phones.  In fact, I am not much of a techy, so the Internet and all the social media is not that important to me. (Though I do enjoy the conversations here on this forum!) 

Take care and God bless,

Stella

LK, SqueakyandLiza, VeganOstomy and 2 people liked
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
November 25, 2019 9:17 am  

Happy Thanksgiving to you too, Stella. I wish you and your hubby safe travels, good times with family, and of course, good pie!  😀

-Liza
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK, LLNorth and Tony liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
November 25, 2019 11:30 am  

I will be cooking this year. Went to the grocery store yesterday and bought everything - keeping things as simple as possible. Last year’s Thanksgiving  I was unexpectedly in the hospital (where they brought me a really fine turkey dinner - as good as home cooked). Glad and thankful to be here, for sure. My kids live in the area so they will come over. The logistics of their in-laws and children and ex’s can get complicated but my husband and I decided years ago to always, always be undemanding and accommodating  - this has made life easier. For us, anyway. Happy start to the holiday season, everybody.

I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
November 25, 2019 12:53 pm  

Happy Thanksgiving, just remember what goes up must come down and what goes in must come out 😂 so don’t over eat. Enjoy ye all 🇱🇷🇱🇷🇱🇷

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK, Tony, LLNorth and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
November 25, 2019 2:31 pm  

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Stella! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK, LLNorth, Tony and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Registered
November 25, 2019 8:22 pm  

Thank you, Stella, for the kind Thanksgiving wishes. Peace and safety to you and yours.🦃

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
November 26, 2019 12:40 am  

I hope you all have a wonderful family and friend time as can be. We woke up to a dash of the white stuff this morning and it felt too cold outside! May those of you travelling have a safe drive and an enjoyable time together in your vehicle. I always enjoyed that part of  a trip.   The chance to interview each other and really catch up without anyone having to go somewhere at a certain time! Lol! Happy Thanksgiving you all!!!

Linda

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
November 26, 2019 12:13 pm  
Posted by: @llholiday

Last year’s Thanksgiving  I was unexpectedly in the hospital

The logistics of their in-laws and children and ex’s can get complicated but my husband and I decided years ago to always, always be undemanding and accommodating  - this has made life easier. 

LL- last year I was on home health care, so my hubby just went and got us dinner from Honeybaked Ham. Their honey baked turkey was amazing. It was a little spendy but perfect for just the two of us to have a Thanksgiving dinner without having to cook. 

I’m sure your kids appreciate you and your husband being undemanding. That is one of the most stressful part of the holidays for us - trying to spend time with everyone. Both of our sets of parents are divorced. We have found ways to make it easier, but it is still hard to make everyone happy. 

-Liza

LK, Tony and LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
November 27, 2019 4:16 pm  

.... and the Marie Callender (bless her!) pumpkin pies are in the oven!

Preparation for this big meal is so different from when I was a kid. I can remember my mother making things from scratch, plucking the pinfeathers from the turkey, simmering cranberries, even using the meat grinder to make the stuffing.

LK and SqueakyandLiza liked
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Registered
November 27, 2019 4:30 pm  

The first time my doctor told me I might eventually need an ostomy was in 1995 shortly after my diagnosis, which was actually ulcerative colitis and was later modified when another GI doc noted the telltale cobblestoning indicative of Crohn's. If he had told me that I would be thankful for my stoma, I would have laughed him to scorn and told him he was insular and insensitive. Here it is 24 years later, and I have had a stoma for nearly a year. I am thankful. I haven't been this healthy since I was in my 20s. Sometimes it's good to be wrong.

Tony

LK, SqueakyandLiza, LLNorth and 1 people liked
ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
November 28, 2019 3:38 pm  

Happy Thanksgiving US ostomates!!  To everyone else, Happy Thursday. 😂😂

Many of you have probably eaten already or may be eating now. Here, we are eating at 4:00 Pacific time so still 3 1/2 hours to wait. The turkey is smelling delicious!!

I hope you are all enjoying time with family and friends today and focusing on all the things you have to be thankful for!!  

-Liza

LK, LLNorth and Tony liked
ReplyQuote
zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
November 30, 2019 9:39 am  

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving as well. 2019 was the first time I didn't get a turkey dinner because I spent it by myself in my apartment. My parents alternate having dinner at their house every other year since all my siblings are married, and this year was the in-laws year for them.

My grandma passed away a couple weeks ago and the funeral service was last Saturday. My anxiety about getting ready for that was off the charts, so I decided not getting a regular Thanksgiving dinner was better than having crazy anxiety again, which my parents understood. So I just munched on snacks and watched football, and then Door Dashed it the next day.

LK and Tony liked
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Registered
November 30, 2019 9:43 am  

Hi there Brian,

Glad to see you drop by, friend. Sorry you had to forego the turkey this year, but as long as you were okay with that, that's what matters. I'm so very sorry for your loss, Brian. It's no wonder you were so anxious; this is huge. Thank you for graciously sending your good wishes. Don't be a stranger.

Tony

SqueakyandLiza and LK liked
ReplyQuote
zhtfreak
(@zhtfreak)
Registered
November 30, 2019 11:08 am  

Thanks Tony,

It was definitely a harder couple days than I thought it would be. I'm actually surprised my grandma made it until now as she'd been fighting a long battle with dementia for the last 8 or 9 years. So I'm glad she isn't suffering anymore.

I was really close to her growing up. She was the only person other than my mother that I was comfortable with emptying and changing my bag when I had it. I used to enjoy spending the night at her house, and there was a brief period of time when I wouldn't go there unless I could stay the night. She also made the best pancakes, crapes, and syrup in the world, which my mom hated. Probably because she grew up with it. What a difference a generation makes huh? lol

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
November 30, 2019 12:40 pm  

@zhtfreak...hey you! I was aware of your slight absence here and was so glad to see you were checking in. 

Brian, I'm  so sorry to hear of the loss of your Gramma. It sounds like you may have more special memories in store of her. Pancakes and syrup sounds good to me. My Gramma, made her own syrup and she too  will always hold a special place in my heart. She passed on an Easter Sunday morning many years ago now.  I had made frequent trips with my parents to Alberta, Canada,  where they had lived,  but this was one trip I could not make even as badly as I wanted to go and say a last farewell to that precious, sweet lady! I was not ill, but it had dawned on me about 15 min. after my Dad  called with the news,  that He and Mom would be trying to figure out how to "hotel it" with  a total of 16 small dogs!!! Thirteen of them were 10 day old puppies! You see, my Dad was grammas executor and he would need to be there for at least 3 weeks in the end.  The big issue was, his two little female dogs had just had the "13 puppies" between them! 

On speaking this realization out loud to my husband, I knew immediatly which direction I would be headed!!! On calling my Dad back to excuse myself from attending Grammas funeral,  you could hear the instant  relief in his voice. I took the bus home and arrived 7 hours later. Dad gave a few instructions but I was well aware of the care all the dogs would require to meet his high standards. Lets set fears aside right here, no, this was not a puppy mill operation.

For 3 weeks,  I spent my days on the floor watching little tiny puppies virtually grow overnight.  Feeding and supplying lots of water to the momma dogs,  and letting them  in and out to the grass on demand!  As the  puppies got bigger, there was lots of  changing of the wet and poopy paper over for clean and washing of their bedding!  What a way to spend 3 weeks! What devotion mother dogs have to their babies!!!     I was  socializing with 13 puppies under the watchful eyes of the momma dogs. I learned the mother dogs  could count. As each puppy I held and set eventually set free from the confinement of their beds to run and play, I was allowed thru the thru the trust system,  to cuddle puppies  close by under the watchful eyes and supervision of their mommas. These mother dogs, faithfully &  carefully sniffed over  and washed each puppy on return until momma dog was satisfied all her babies had been returned to her. It was the most tireing but puppy loving 3 weeks I had ever spent on the farm and on the floor!

Knowing full well my Dad needed this time without worrying about puppies, made my stay all the more enjoyable, plus, I knew my Gramma would fully understand! 

As your heart swells with memories Brian, allow yourself the time to ponder them all, allow the tears to fall,   they are good for the healing process. Spending a day with snacks and a football game sounds like a good trade off for our kind of stresses  anyday! If you desire that Turkey dinner soon, order up a big drum stick and breast  from the meat department, buy a boxed of dressing, boil a couple spuds,  and make a packaged turkey gravey and cook your up your own masterpiece of a dinner.  Mind you, I hear restaurants do a pretty fine take home turkey dinner too! Thankyou for sharing and for  the memories. All the best Brian.

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
November 30, 2019 1:37 pm  

Zht, I am sorry to learn of your loss and send my sympathy. You now have an angel grandma, and you have lovely memories from when she was on earth. Bless you.

ReplyQuote
SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered
November 30, 2019 5:03 pm  

Brian,

I am so sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose anyone, but especially someone you have had such a close life-long bond with. The holidays are particularly difficult without your loved one. May your pain lessen with time. 

-Liza

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 2, 2019 1:19 pm  

@zhtfreak

I'm sorry for your loss. It's never a good time to lose a loved one, but around the holidays makes it especially harder. I'm glad that you have an understanding family.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register