Notifications
Clear all

Strange foods/customs

6 Posts
4 Users
8 Likes
(@john68)
Topic starter  

Since joining the forum I have been introduced to creamed corn and hopefully soon pumpkin pie, Every country has some thing unique food or other wise. In my local town, cafes will put out the menu for the day, included will be "Soup and a half" now all the locals know what that is. and I am sure the staff are fed up telling visitors. Its a bowl of soup, half a sandwich and half a plate of chips! How or who started it no one knows!

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

On another note, I think it would be awesome to try local food when traveling, rather than visit a restaurant that serves food you're used to =)

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)
Topic starter  

If you don,t try iti how do you know you don,t like it, some times we eat with our eyes and not our stomach.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

My husband and I lived on an island in the Soloman Sea in Papua New Guinea for a while (anthropologists) where  we learned  about the concept of 'meaty insects'. We came home as almost total vegetarians ( except for the plentiful fish ...who did get eaten). Plenty of yams, taro, green leaves, coconut etc ... and I couldn't eat another  banana for several years. after our return. Bon Appetite!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
(@john68)
Topic starter  

Food falling off the plate is one thing Dona, but walking of it is another lol

VeganOstomy and Robert reacted
ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)

Here in Cincinnati we have our (in)famous Chilli. I grew up eating this and my moms more traditional chilli. https://whatscookingamerica.net/Beef/CincinnatiChili.htm I love the stuff. If your close enough to be familiar I am an Empress fan but their few and far between anymore. Goldstar and Skyline are the most common places.

We're pretty blessed to have some good Chinese places that do traditional stuff, a Sushi place where the chef had his training in Japan, several Indian places and a wonderful Vietnamese place.

Insects don't tempt me at all. I keep watching Bourdain eat his way around the globe and just cannot imagine eating the bugs. But I guess if that is what your folks ate your more likely to. Gods know I've dodged some of the Appalachian goodies my granny tried to feed me. Cow Brains and Scrambled Eggs? No thank you.

Crohn's Colitis, Ilieostomy, Proctocolectomy November 2017

ReplyQuote