Scopes and Colonoscopies ,  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS

Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
October 25, 2017 12:19 pm  

Good Morning Everybody

I'm sure we have all had to have a scope and colonoscopy done many times and we all know that their not much fun especially the prep before . One thing I have to say though is prep is a lot easier when you don't have a colon or a rectum don't have to drink all that crap . Lol . Had to have another one yesterday been having blood from what little is left of my rectum for  some time now . Waiting on report back from biopsies but so far all looks like just being caused from UC acting up in what little is left of my rectum not cancer . Now more medication OH BOY ! My things all seem small compared to what a lot of you are going thru . Hang in there everybody ! Thanks for letting me bend your ear .

Subtotal colectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 25, 2017 12:44 pm  

Hi ya Robert, Sorry to hear that buddy, Wee buns compared to what you have been through but you could still do without. Hope the results come through quickly and all the very best and keep us posted

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 25, 2017 1:06 pm  

Good luck, Robert. 

You're right about the prep, though! Way easier with less "plumbing" down there. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 and Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Zvitusk
(@zvitusk)
Registered
October 25, 2017 2:37 pm  

Having been there and done that, we can can all empathize with you. Then again, that is the benefit of this forum. We talk out loud to our friends and they do listen to our concerns. If we can help, or sympathize, or advise or ...then you will benefit.
I did. And therefore I am happy to help you.
The screening tools such as colonoscopy are used to keep us from getting into more or even worse trouble than we are presently in. Fortunately, getting a clearer view of our internal situation is somewhat easier than drinking a gallon of GoLiteLy.
I hope that you join us and enjoy our rollicking ways.

Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
October 25, 2017 3:18 pm  

Thank you all . I'm sure it will workout in the END ! Lol

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Bill Bell
(@bago)
Registered
October 25, 2017 3:37 pm  

I went in Monday the 23rd for a flexible sigmoidoscopy of my little 16 cm rectum.  I have proctitis and my doctor scopes once a year to make sure that it doesn't change to cancer.  I too am still waiting for the results of the biopsies.  

The prep is almost nothing and I go without anesthesia and can watch the whole process on the tv monitor.  Probably some day will have to go for the proctectomy surgery but not now.

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
October 25, 2017 4:54 pm  

I get scoped every year too. Just to make sure nothing else bad is happening.

I saw a cartoon in the newspaper the other day ( LA Times...Bizarro). Sorry I can't find it to post the real thing:

It has a guy in his doctor's office getting a prescription for bowel prep for a colonoscopy.

The caption read:

And, as a seasonal special we are offering  both regular flavor or pumpkin spice.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
October 25, 2017 5:02 pm  

Hey there Bago . OUCH ! I fell for you . We have similar issues . I have UC and my doctor keeps an eye on me to for the same reason . I have had some of mine removed not even sure how much is left and I have no colon so he can't go to far Ha . You are braver than me I told them to knock me out this was my 7th time but easiest prep so far . Good luck to you Bago let me know how it comes out .

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
October 25, 2017 5:06 pm  

Hi Dona once a year weather we like it or not huh . We gotta do what we gotta do I guess .

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
October 25, 2017 5:32 pm  

I ALWAYS get knocked out! I had one once without  the good drugs when I was just new to this whole UC thing. I wanted to kill people. right there on the table in my gown while lying on my side with my bare hands!   The nurse just ending up kind of petting me like a cat or dog.....that, strangely helped

.Not a good experience! HA. Never did that again. Unconscious is good.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

john68, Tony H and Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
October 26, 2017 4:48 am  

getting colonoscopy's for over 30 years and things have changed a lot since the first one , the first prep was a large glass of epson salts which was vile to take but really works well , the first scope I had no sedation and was told to shut up and stop crying and to man up , it was horrible and still gives me nightmares , getting a scope with sedation is the only way to go , you are kind of aware but mostly you just fall asleep and wake up in the ward to a nice cup of tea and biscuits .

since I got the ostomy all I have to do is get checked once and year and biopsies taken ,

Robert I had/have UC and only have a few cm of colon left , I had a little bleeding on and off since the op (12 months ago yesterday) and pentasa suppositories and colifoam enemas keep it under control , hope the biopsies come back quickly , its no fun waiting for results . 

Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 26, 2017 6:17 am  

Tony that's terrible for any one to treat you like that, its an embarrasting test full stop and painful. I am no hero and have always went for some sort of drug. yep like you I have a little bleeding once in a while nothing major so Robert ye as well to get this checked out but don,t be letting it get to you.

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 26, 2017 6:22 am  

Hi Dona, aye this petting thing, I have come across this as well while a strange practice it does have a calming effect

ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
October 26, 2017 7:02 am  
Posted by: john68

Tony that's terrible for any one to treat you like that, its an embarrasting test full stop and painful. I am no hero and have always went for some sort of drug. yep like you I have a little bleeding once in a while nothing major so Robert ye as well to get this checked out but don,t be letting it get to you.

those were the days John , the doctor was a general surgeon and he was an ignorant bully , now my doctors are great and I have the best of care and lots of anaesthetic when needed. 

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
October 26, 2017 3:18 pm  

Tony that sounds terrible Epson salt no meds and then tell you to man up ! Wow Wonder how the Doc would like it if he had to man up like that ! I sure am glad things changed before I started getting them . I'm like Dona and John knock me out . Man you guys have it made over there you get tea and biscuits here we get . Put you're clothes on and when you pass gas you can go ! Lol what a difference . Tony suppositories are what I get to do now too . We had our surgery almost the same time . My second surgery was Sept. 2016 that's when I got my stoma .

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 26, 2017 4:15 pm  

That's the Irish for ye Robert, Birth, death marriage, nothing happens without tea

Dona and Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)
Registered
October 26, 2017 4:21 pm  

ah John you cant beat a cup of tea exept maybe a pint of few pints of beer ( which the wife won’t let me have  anymore )

Dona, john68 and Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
October 26, 2017 6:06 pm  

Ah Tony that's one thing I haven't given up  .  

Dona and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 26, 2017 6:09 pm  

I have to confess, still like a cool beer and a wee one.

Dona and Robert liked
ReplyQuote
mykirbyroo
(@mykirbyroo)
Registered
October 29, 2017 12:09 pm  

Dona, now, THAT made me laugh:  'regular or pumpkin spice'.  We are bombarded by almost everything being offered in "pumpkin spice".  I'll be glad when this season is over because I'm just not fond of "pumpkin spice".  But anyway, it struck my funny-bone and I got a good chuckle.  Many kind thanks!!!!

Dona liked
ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3