Community Forums

Shoulder Replacemen...

Shoulder Replacement  

RSS

shortnsweet
(@shortnsweet)
Registered
November 10, 2019 7:22 pm  

Yes, total shoulder replacement coming up. I will be in a sling for a minimum of a month and have expressed my concerns to my surgeon about coping with my ileostomy. She has other ostomates as patients and she said they have managed their appliances fairly easily as their arm does not have to be raised. But...the problem seems to lie with the bulk of the sling and related equipment resting on the stoma. A stoma guard would make sense if it didn't involve a belt to cope with. Plus I don't normally need/use one so it seems a pricey option for a month of use. Has anyone here dealt with a shoulder replacement? If so, do you have any suggestions to make life easier while recovering?  Tennis ball cut in half with a little duct tape?

LK liked
john68
(@john68)
Registered
November 11, 2019 2:20 am  

Hi Shortnsweet, Yes some of the stoma guards are quite pricey, Have you looked at the “Stoma Dome” it is cheaper and doesn’t use a belt, Eric has done a review on the pros and cons. The very best for the surgery 👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK, shortnsweet and Tony liked
ReplyQuote
Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Registered
November 11, 2019 6:26 am  

Hi @shortnsweet,

Just a thought, but you might ask about an abduction pillow as well, which is designed to help hold your arm "away from your body (abducted). Maybe a combination of that with the Stoma Dome would give you what you need.

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

ReplyQuote
shortnsweet
(@shortnsweet)
Registered
November 11, 2019 7:04 am  

Thanks for the tips!

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered
November 11, 2019 8:02 am  

@shortnsweet

Hello there and welcome...your new to me! ;)  Sorry you clipped your Wing!

I had a torn  right rotator cuff with my ileostomy.  Raising my arm to brush my hair and bathe, was brutal, but I managed everything  else relatively fine, just closer to me. I am  left handed, but I do so much  more with my right wing  then the average southpaw... I think.  It is a right handed world in so many ways! Because you have a bit of time, practice managing with your opposite wing while there is time to work out the possible difficulties. Keep us in the loop on your discoveries and tips. I love what your little sign up ⬆️ there says! Lol! I fall under that category too!!! All the best.

Linda

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
November 14, 2019 12:25 pm  
Posted by: @shortnsweet

If so, do you have any suggestions to make life easier while recovering?  Tennis ball cut in half with a little duct tape?

While I'm sure we can come up with some DIY solutions, I do recall ConvaTec giving away free (but basic) stoma guards. You may want to see if they still do. 

Good luck! Please, let us know how you manage while you're recovering as I'm sure you will come up with a few solutions that only experience can bring :) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Tony liked
ReplyQuote
Share:

Please Login or Register