Road Tripping  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

Tony
 Tony
(@ileostony)
Registered
November 27, 2019 11:55 am  

One of the marks of a good spouse is to care about those little things enough to remedy such mishaps where possible. Tom really sounds like a great guy.

I remember the ride in the car on the way to the airport knowing I was going to get an an airplane, whatever that was, and my younger brother saying over and over that he too was going to be on the plane but the adults thinking he was saying that he too would be going to New York. I was the only one who could understand anything he said at the time. This was in Spanish, and "avión" and "Nueva York" sounded pretty much the same when a 2-year-old was trying to say either one.

I remember that they seated me away from my mother and siblings on the plane and that I was afraid when my ears were doing that funny popping painful thing where I couldn't hear very well, and I really didnt' like the feeling of ascending, so the couple next to me tried to reassure me that nothing was going to happen to me.  I didn't believe them. My brother really, really didn't want the seatbelt and let the whole world know it in window-rattling fashion, making me kind of glad I was not sitting next to my family. I fell asleep until the plane had landed, and the lady woke me up so I could go with my mother. I got my very first sweater ever at the airport because it was September and not terribly warm. My dad was there, who had preceded us to the Big Apple and met us at the airport. I went to stay with some cousins, one of who introduced me to snow in the aforementioned manner. My aunt explained to me that I had passed over the sea to get to where I was, and I voice my assumption that we would go back over the sea at the end of the day to go home. She explained that that was not going to happen and that home was now New York, and I remember thinking in my unsophisticated 4-year-old mind that that sucked but that there was nothing I could do about it and thus no point in crying, which I wanted to do. I stayed quiet and just accepted it.

Yep, I remember. Haha!

Tony
Crohn's diagnosed in 1995.
Spontaneous colon perforation and emergency end ileostomy surgery in 2018.
No colon - still rollin'!
No eyesight - life still bright!
Stomaversary - December 4th

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered
November 27, 2019 2:16 pm  

Liza, Glad you got home O.K. after your trip. I know it was a good/bad/interesting trip. We too are expecting rain here in Southern California ( we need it, always...unless there is flooding Ha). At least it never snows here.

Tony thanks for posting your experience of flying to your new home as a chile! You write so well. I really enjoyed it.

And to everyone who is traveling or staying home over Thanksgiving I wish you a wonderful time.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register