Notifications
Clear all

New Years Customs  

RSS

john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 27, 2017 2:35 pm  

Folks, in this part of the World their are certain customs and traditions that go with New Years eve and day, "First Footing" the first visitor to you home must be dark haired and not red or ginger! It is a custom to bring a gift. In Scotland New Years (Hogmanay) is massive. interesting to hear from other parts

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

Robert liked
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 27, 2017 4:30 pm  

LOL. I'm not aware of any specific customs here, but that one sounds too funny to be true! haha

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 27, 2017 5:02 pm  

Strange thing about Ireland full of weird customs, seriously have a mate who is ginger and he says New Years Day is terrible for him, lol

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
December 28, 2017 11:23 am  

Good Morning All .  John I guess if you are red haired or ginger all you can do is stay home huh ? Lol . I will have to Google Hogmanay to see what it is . Over here we don't have much that I know of except the dropping of the Ball in New York . And of course a lot of people party party party ! Then forget what even happened and fell terrible the next day . Oh but of course I've never done that ....... Lol

Subtotal colectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 28, 2017 11:48 am  

Hi Robert, Hogmanay is what the Scottish call New Year, as I said they take it very serious and lot of people go over for the events. Booking a hotel in Glasgow or Edinburgh would need to be done a year in advance

https://www.edinburghshogmanay.com/whats-on/street-party

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
December 28, 2017 12:18 pm  

Wow John I watched some of the videos they really do take Hogmanay in Scotland serious don't they ? Ha . Looks like quite a party for 3 days !  I don't think I would want to go jump in the freezing water like that Haha but it does look like a great time with all the fireworks n torches . Looks cold too . What will the weather be like for ye ? I heard for New York they are looking for temp of -50 for New Years that's close to where Marcie is . Here where I am I am wearing shorts today n they are looking for 75 on New Years Day . Thanks for the site on Scotland it was interesting .

Subtotal colectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
December 28, 2017 12:24 pm  

Some difference we have a light fall of snow and very icy. some of the airports in the rest of the UK have been hit badly and lots of folk get back after the hols

ReplyQuote