Clear all

Ive been sick

12 Posts
5 Users
9 Likes
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

I've been very sick from working cleaning offices from all the hard core chemicals they use. I ended my employment 3 weeks ago. Im.still sick from transferring into my home and vehicle. I have not gotten in my vehicle since quitting. I'm afraid to. My sinus are burning and my hands and wrists are bleeding and breaking open. I went to the doctor and im.testing positive for some autoimmune disease. She's sending me to rheumatology but can't get in till mid March. This is very scarey as we need for me to work. I can't get in that car like that and im.just so sick. I've been losing hair, lost 30 pounds in 3 months, some vomiting and nausea, diahrhea bouts and high sensitivity to smells. Im.scared this is the end of my working life and my husband cannot do it all. 

Sorry just venting

Tony H reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Hi @chelly. I know in the other post you mentioned that you might looking into a disability lawyer.

If you believe that much of what you're experiencing has been as a result of the chemicals you worked with, you may be able to also look into a personal injury case.

Back in the late 90's, early 20's, I was working at a place where we used to disinfect equipment with bleach. Unfortunately, this was done in a small room with next to no external venting or fresh air. My eyes would be burning all the time... no doubt it wasn't safe, but I was too young and naive to even think about it. Looking back now, I can only imagine that this must have had an impact on my health.

I'm sorry that you're going through that, and hope that you find some physical relief and compensation in some way.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy that's exactly what happened to me is eyes and nose burning. Very strong industrial cleaners and I'd have to waitvto eat until I got home because one worker kept getting into my bathroom bag. Once she took my baggie that had gloves. Problen is she did not wash her hands and the cleanung supply residue from her hands got onto all my things so I rinse and it all got into my stoma and I could literally taste it. It was evenings part time so no problem just waiting to eat when I got home after that although sometimes these strong chemicals even getting onto my hands absorbed through my skin would give me diahrhea.  I would then of course have to empty. I tried going to upper management to see if I could leave my bag hidden in a closet in one of the suites until I go home but no sympathy and was expected to leave it in the janitor work room with all the chemicals and for employees to snoop and ruin my things. Could not leave it in the car as it was just as bad from me tracking the stuff jnto it. 

Just washing the work cloths upon returning home would fill my apartment with strong chemical smells it's been a challangevto say the least. I keep making poor career choices that cause me trouble. 

I highly doubt that I'll get disability as I'm reading it's very hard to get and j first have to the rheumatologist to get further tests to see which of these autoimmune disease I have. The doctor said by the tests she did its either sclerdoma. Lupus or sjograns. I'm further reading that it's hard to get disability for it. Sad to say but the United states is not so good to us. You cannot use all your health problems to apply so you have to pick one and can't mention the others. In July I will be eligible for my retirement ssi so I will at least take that for the interim and maybe work 2 days per week somewhere. 

You have a good idea about the personal injury but problem is I did not go to the doctor right away . I may have a good case though with them.not making accommodation for my bathroom issue and for not properly training employees on the chemicals. I'm going to call a personal injury lawyer as well since you mentioned it. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @chelly

but problem is I did not go to the doctor right away .

If work conditions cause some or all of your health issues, I don't think it matters how quickly you went to see a doctor. A lot of people don't run to the doctor at the first sign of symptoms, and that doesn't get these companies off the hook for failure to make the workplace a safe environment.

I guess if your personal injury lawyers are the same as they are in Canada, most (if not, all?) offer free consultations. If one of them feels that they do have a case, they often represent their client and don't ask for payment until a settlement is reached.

Good luck!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Tigerlily reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@veganostomy yes I'm going to contact one to see what options I have. No job is worth the amount of suffering, damages to my things ,my car and heath . As I'm getting older.im realizing I need to put a lot of thought into what types of jobs to take with health issues. That is if I'm ever able to even get well enough.

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)

@chelly you have been through so much. I agree with Eric - find a personal injury lawyer who will listen without charge for the first appointment. And then see where that takes you. I hope you can find some relief soon - we’re all cheering for you here, Chelly. Take care.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

I spoke with a personal injury lawyer just about an hour ago. He says the doctor would have to say it's work related in which she did not because she's looking at this autoimmune thing. So now I have to call dusabilty to see what those requirements are. 

Thank you all so much for the support. It's good to know I have people to support me and not only this but my ostomy woes as well.

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

Little update but not much change. 2 ER visits. The first one a joke and unprofessional.  The 2nd very thorough. No change though. They think this may have something to do with either my past and present chemical exposures and possibly an autoimmune problem maybe the chemicals triggering it. They say diagnosis for autoimmune takes a long time and maybe years. It's a crap shoot for them.to catch it full blown on the blood tests. My smell issues have now returned as well really struggling everything smells so strong that I can taste it. 

Got a job lined up that i think will work out though. Going to take my retirement ssi in 2 months.then cut hours. 

No way I can do a lawsuit as I've had these issues in the past and in my records but it did trigger whatever health issue I have.

Sometimes my limbs even.lock up.next week and into thev18h starts all my appointments. I wish I could just retire but I do know if and when I felt well again I'd go stir crazy sitting Home. 

ReplyQuote
Tony H
(@tony-h)

hope you feel better soon Chelly , feeling sick and still having to work is hard going ,

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@tony-h thank you for the well wishes. The damn saga continues. Appt line set me up with yet another primary doc who does not accept new patients. Uggh.... new appt with someone else in April but the rheumatologist is this Thursday.

Tony H reacted
ReplyQuote
(@davidinthailand)

Chelly

disability is a loooong slow process ( usually 3yrs ) BUT,  if successful you get back pay,   the down side is you CAN NOT WORK during the process.   i know.      makes zero sense.   

also,    severe UC or ostomy patients usually are approved for disability.   it just takes a loooong time.    find a well reviewed disability lawyer and go have a chat with them.  

good luck 🤞🤞🤞

ReplyQuote
Chelly
(@chelly)
Topic starter  

@davidinthailand hello. Yes I've contacted a lawyer  so that was my first step. I have an appointment  soon to get analyzed to see if I will qualify by this lawyers office. Things ate not good. My skin is do bad and along with other disturbing symptoms. I pushed myself to a job orientation last week and I was hired until my hands broke open and started bleeding in front of all of them at the table. I was told when leaving you will not be able to work this job. I knew I can't work going into it but I was trying.

ReplyQuote