Clear all

Hospital necessities?  

Page 2 / 4
  RSS

FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Registered
October 22, 2017 10:21 pm  

Dona, hopefully my brain will be working well enough to read. When I had my resection 18 years ago I could not even concentrate enough to read. Favorite gift was my brother bringing me a huge bag of comic books to read. I'll have to throw some favorites it just for the hell of it. I'm a fan of non-superhero type comics and supernatural type ones. They were just about perfect and saved me from the toxic tv sludge. I seriously dislike daytime tv/ reality tv, very toxic with all the screaming and general nastiness.

Crohn's Colitis, Ilieostomy, Proctocolectomy November 2017

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 23, 2017 11:07 am  

I like the suggestion about bringing real salt!

I'm a guy can do everything from a smartphone, so that's nearly always a "must bring" for me (and don't forget a charger!). The only caveat is that you need either a data connection or be guaranteed that your hospital will have WIFI (during one of my stays, the hospital WIFI was out of order... luckily, I had a mobile data plan). 

It may also help to bring earplugs, especially since some hospitals can be quite loud.

Best of luck, Felicity - whenever you're back in there! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
FelicityG
(@felicityg)
Registered
October 23, 2017 11:29 am  

I'm definitely going to throw a salt and a pepper grinder in the basket. I remember how I was wishing for them while there, the eggs and sandwiches could have used them. Maybe some Tony Chachers seasoning salt, a girlfriend from Louisiana introduced us to it. We use it for sandwiches, eggs, just about anything savory. 

Also have to make sure my sick buddy, Cappuccino the Bear is clean/ non funky smelling. He was so musty last time, he'd been hanging out in our basement bedroom.

I'm fine with noise as long as it's not yelling/ screaming. Helps me sleep better when there is some noise.

Crohn's Colitis, Ilieostomy, Proctocolectomy November 2017

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 23, 2017 11:44 am  

OH salt, I know we need a little more than other folk but I may be over doing it. Even when having bread and butter the salt comes out. Has any one try Himalayan sea salt, my sis in law uses it and not half bad

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 23, 2017 11:59 am  

Yep I did say sea in that last post!! lol

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
October 23, 2017 12:41 pm  

Hey John

I too like my salt but with bread n butter ? Lol . We started using kosher salt and it s actually pretty good . Like you I poor it on .....

Subtotal colectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 23, 2017 12:45 pm  

I some times even have food with salt!

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
October 23, 2017 12:50 pm  

Hi Felicity

Don't forget a little hot sauce it  can spice things up a bit or cover up flavor of something if need be ...

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 23, 2017 1:11 pm  

During one hospital stay (not for Crohns) the guy in the next bed owned a local Indian Restaurant. We got chatting and just to wind him up I said I preferred Chinese or Thai food. After a long debate he said "only one way to sort"  took out his phone and called the restaurant, around 8pm another Indian chap walks in with enough food to feed us 8 patients and the 2 nurses. Was delicious. He did win the arguement

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
October 23, 2017 1:14 pm  

Hi Marcie

I see you figured out the picture too . Nice to see you on there .

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 23, 2017 2:05 pm  

Robert, Ya, it is me.. skinny me.. //Eric did it....... Computers and I don't get along..  HE has been such a sweet heart to me from the start-I was so excited about this post-I just couldn't get anything right!!  Not going to bug him again--He is SOOOOOO NICE!! Just got back from 4 pounds of fluids into my power port, at my "pumping station" or "club med" as I call it.  Done with the medical terms.. SO DONE!!! Been rather dizzy (don't say it!) as of last night--nearly crashed into a tree on the way home.. Hanging onto the bed for dear life over here..  Should pass. My Nellie is singing to me.. AND bells in my  head.. 

I like your picture too!  Wife is beautiful.. Nice couple.. 

YES< salt and pepper is indeed a must for the back pack-- Mine is getting rather full-Woman huh? 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 23, 2017 2:21 pm  

Felicity, your a hoot!!  Nice colors.  I have been to your town. Rather nice.. Lived in Pittsburgh for 6 years-So yu were 4 hours from me. Tom was working at Westinghouse Nuclear - He pretty much spend time in S. Africa. during that time.  Kinda lonely-2 boys nursery school-1st grade.  But Westinghouse took us to the super bowl, and cocktail parties with the Pitt. Steelers, and the Pitt. Priates. And a nice trip over seas. Found one nice elderly lady to care of my kids, - if she couldn't come- I didn't go- I really didn't want to leave my boys - so I picked just a few-Tom went on all others.  They were good to him that way-upper management-took his brain-then layed him off-back to ct. Fine with me.. To big of a house-43,000sq. ft. living space and huge in ground pool. Beautiful brick home-tooooo BIG!!! But we were able to see Toms family much and they were able to come and stay with us.. for a change. So, that was nice. Fostoria, Ohio where Tom is from-so flat!! and boring!!!  4 hours from us also-north tho-. Now, how long did that body paint last? 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Bill Bell
(@bago)
Registered
October 23, 2017 2:45 pm  

Last time I was in was for a blockage which cleared itself quickly.  The doc made me stay for two nights.  I had my wife smuggle in a vodka and tonic to go with the bland hospital dinner. An old friend of mine said his doctor told this wife to always bring her husband a bottle of scotch for his nightly cocktail. 

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
October 23, 2017 2:56 pm  

Don't remember it but over here patients used to get a 1/4 bottle of stout as it good for building up strength

Robert and Bill Bell liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
October 23, 2017 3:01 pm  

Marcie remember don't over do it rest a little . Tomorrow another day to deal with . Thanks for the nice comments too . 

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 23, 2017 3:16 pm  

John, I think that is helped me finish off my C.O.P.D. now Emphysema.. Seems like very time I go to the Dr. "did u know that you also have_______________?"  "U didn't know that?" I'm getting hit hard lately... I just shake my head..  In total did-trust of them..  They are not connecting to me or for me.. Wish they were like our- ERIC!! Knowlgeable(sp) and trust worthy. And sooo NICE!!! (hi Eric)

I did drive that car for years. Couldn't afford to fix it.. But then again Europeans do have the good old days of med's. of such early times.  Over here, They mix them so much with what is good for you that there is hardly nothing in it that your paying for in the first place.  

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 23, 2017 3:22 pm  

Bango- I am on board.. Vodka- Orange juice, cranberry juice, Can't smell it either..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 23, 2017 4:03 pm  

I love dill pickles, Cant eat them I was told, so, I eat them like corn on cob..  Gives me that picnic feeling.  But, I can never have corn tho-------  So I ask Tom to bring in a nice fat pickle!

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 23, 2017 4:34 pm  

Zuitusk, I found out about the rehab-after you leave the hospitals here in the U.S.  If your on Medicare, and u return within 30 days of the same/close to why u went there in the first place, is that Medicare will out and back X on them-So, they sent u to a rehab. and then the hospital is off the hook..  So far I have been sent to 3 nursing homes-- the first I did need to learn how to walk- but the others? no way!! So, now I watch them with their so "called" concern of me" -"we r worried bout your walking and balance" Hello?  I have been taking care of myself with all bathroom issues etc. I even had to make my own bed after  my Gull Bladder surgery last year-on the same day- Nothing wrong with MY BLANCE.. I take care of myself!!  If I cant, then I will stay in the hospital longer-The nursing homes?  They don't know which end is up when I get there.. I can throw the big red/blue ball and bounce it - I am OUT!! Be on the look out everyone with that one!!  IF u DO NEED IT?? go- Home rest is better because you do get to rest!!! finally!!!!!!!!! Food is better also..... And they wont take away your salt container!!  Nursing homes don't use salt at all-because they think that you have a heart issue.....  We know our bodies better than they do--Once again we are in their TEXT BOOK program....... Got to fend for ourselves... And, we can do it!! OUR talk is NOT cheep!!! Lets stay out of the medical programs that make money for just them--  and take our salt away.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
October 23, 2017 4:39 pm  

YAAAAAAAAAAAA ERIC!!!!!!!!!!!  did a great job Eric!! Thank you so much!! took the stress away from me-and I can't have stress..now I feel like I belong! -Such a NICE man.. Huh guys?? wont bug u anymore Eric... Marcie..

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4