Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Flu shot woes  

Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered
Topic starter  

I got my flu shot 2 days ago, and have had diarrhea now for a day and a half. Anybody else have this reaction?☹️ No fun! My stoma is sore. The contractions I am having are ridiculous - like my bowels can’t get rid of their contents fast enough. I have never had this reaction before - usually it’s no worse than a little tenderness at the injection spot. But this time! Holy cow, Batman! I looked up possible side effects, and diarrhea is one of them. Even Imodium isn’t doing much; I think it will just have to play itself out. 

Just a semicolon

john68
(@john68)
Registered

Hi Tigerlilly, I had my first ever flu jab this year and no side effects. I am sorry to hear how you have reacted. Is there any chance it’s a bug that’s coincided around the same time. Drink plenty and maybe try and thicken by eating more starchy foods. If it continues I would speak to a medic. Hope you get sorted 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks, John. Much better today. I was eating nothing but the BRAT diet for the past two days, so hoping I can branch out a little today. It is possible that this is related to a bug, but unlikely since I and my family are behaving like hermits right now, like everyone else.  They didn’t have the same problem, but I seem to be the Queen of Side Effects, (alas, my only claim to fame) so no surprise that I would be the only one to be sidelined.

Just a semicolon

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)
Registered

Hi tigerlilly,

I get a flu shot every year and have never had an adverse reaction. I hope, as John said, it may be some other thing causing your troubles.

We are also behaving like hermits....maybe it was something caused by food? I hope not, but I am reading the book : The Secret life of Groceries by Benjamin Lorr.

Eye opening.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @tigerlily

I got my flu shot 2 days ago, and have had diarrhea now for a day and a half.

Hmm. My reaction to the flu shot tends to be "flu-like symptoms", but never diarrhea. I'm sorry you've been experiencing that. 

Have you ever had a reaction like that before? 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

Never. I typically don’t react at all, other than a bit of a sore arm. This time, I was really tired too, and then the diarrhea. I am fine today though, so whatever it was has passed. Off the BRAT diet and eating pizza and Guinness. 😋 Much better than BRAT.

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

@tigerlily...I would be willing to bet that because the Flu shot is a dead bug that they give us, that you more likely picked up a bug or ate something your guts did not care for before or shortly after your appointment.  Things I can eat one week may react differently the next. It is very frustrating all around.  Did the rest of your family go in for the Flu Shot at the same time as you? Did you stop anywhere? 

Over the years my Doctor practically gives me a complete physical before a flu shot. This is to make sure I am at my best health for it.  Did you eat the same thing as others you may have been with?  The flu is often misdiagnosed by the public for mild food poisoning or eating a bad food of some kind.  I have had the dreadful experience of knowing how little bacteria, even from an unproperly washed restaurant mug that it can take to throw my body for a major loop. So not fun!

I'm sorry that you have had to experience that unkindness to your body!  I hope the next few days help you fell even better as your guts stabilize!   

Linda

Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

@tigerlily

I am glad to hear that you are fully recovered from your experience. Years ago, I had gotten a flu shot for the Hong Kong flu (I am dating myself here!) and I was seriously ill from it. I have since heard of others having the same reaction - though it's very rare. So, that must mean that I am a rare breed! :-D 

Stella

LK and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
Bill Bell
(@bago)
Registered

@tigerlily

I believe that you have found the right medicine.  Pizza and Guinness will cure most ailments.  If not try more Guinness. ;-) 

Bill
Ulcerative Colitis... Ileostomy June 2016

LK and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered
Topic starter  

Thanks for all your responses. I am fine now. I am fairly certain it was the flu shot that was the culprit - diarrhea is on the list of possible side effects of this year’s flu shot. Another one is fatigue, and I did have that as well, as did my son after his flu shot. Because I didn’t feel ill at all through this, I don’t think it was anything I ate (my family ate exactly the same things I ate) or some kind of bug. I haven’t been near anyone else, with the exception of my GP, who gave me the flu shot. Medications can wreak havoc with one’s system; I think that’s what happened. All better now 🙂.

Just a semicolon

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

@tigerlily...make sure you let you GP know you had this rare reaction. I know Doctors report these kind of things to the CDC. This is one way they know to make changes in the Labs in the formulas  to improve them.  They need to know if folks react so changes can be made. I'm pleased to hear  your are  both recovered! 

Linda

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered
Topic starter  

@dlkfiretruck Excellent point! I will be sure to let my GP know when I see her next. 

Just a semicolon

LK liked
ReplyQuote