Children's Pets

18 Posts
10 Users
14 Likes
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone,

It seems that there are topics out there that have been heavy, and I thought I would write something a little on the light side. I have a dog - or should I say it belongs to my son who deposited her here  with the promise that he would take her as soon as he bought a house. Here it is 7 1/2 years later, he has a home and she is still with us. Not that I am complaining, because she really is a sweet dog (though her unexpected barking can cause me to jump ten feet in the air!!!) I was just wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience.

Stella

VeganOstomy reacted
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Yes I do.  My 2 sons moved back in and left their pets at the other place.  

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Nope, can't say my kids ever dumped a pet and left it here. However, when my daughter was in grade six, she asked me if she could bring the bird home from there classroom for Easter break.  One week long. Well, I love birds. I always have my eye out looking for the array of  lying  colors they come in around here.  The other day I actually picked up a hawk feather, so beautiful. This child of mine had such beautiful eyes and asked so nice that I said yes, of course you can bring the class bird home.  It was cold out so I took the car to pick the kids up at school. Karen proudly comes out of class, holding the cage securely and smiling so brightly. It was really sweet to see the pure joy on her little face.  Once secured in the car, we decided just where this lovely little bird should be placed for the week.  All set up, she takes me  by my hand and says well mom...I could not bring the bird home. I had to bring another pet home instead. I lost the draw she said.  Alright, I was game, a hamster maybe, no, we killed that one last time. He had a bladder infection and died in the two hours we were gone to church. We later, had found blood in his tiny puddle of pee.So I thought, maybe it was a gerbil at worst.  She made me promise not to be mad. No, no, that was not an issue.  She took this really deep breath, lifted the large cloth off the cage and imagine my surprise when she unveiled the classroom RAT!  He was alive and well when he was returned to school the following week.   I hate rats!

Linda

ReplyQuote
(@john68)

My Brother in Law had a Boxer but after a few years work took him over seas, the dog was sent to stay with his Mum and Dad, it became a much loved part of the family. This dog was as big as a bear, daft as a brush and drooled a lot!! Sadly after 5 years he took unwell and had to be put to sleep. He was taken home and buried in the garden, it was like losing one of the family and he is still missed.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)

My brother did this to me a few of years ago.  He moved back home from Tennessee for a job, then decided he wanted to go back about a year later.  He brought his 110 pound Mastiff/Lab mix with him, and left him with us when he went back.  After about a year he wanted the dog back, I really didn't want to give him up, but I gave in.  I got really attached to him while he was with me.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

We currently have five cats, one dog, and one 43-year-old parrot - all are rescues. 

My wife and I have fostered animals for a very long time - I estimate we've housed or transported over 1000 animals in the last 20 years or so. 

Working with so many shelters, it's quite common to see abandoned pets (especially from those going to college or moving into an apartment that doesn't allow animals). Sadly, many don't end up in good homes right away, but I'm so glad that you decided to keep her :)

It's really sad to see older dogs and cats become abandoned when their family decides they're bored with them. 

Something I really to try advocate is for parents not to adopt/buy pets for their kids unless they are 100% willing to take on the responsibilities. Most good shelters will say the same - most pet stores will not, unfortunately. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Robert and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Wow a 43 year old Parrot!! am amazed and looked up Parrots and some species can live to 95+.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: john68

Wow a 43 year old Parrot!! am amazed and looked up Parrots and some species can live to 95+.

Yup. His previous family had to give him up because his primary caregiver was in her 90's and couldn't care for him any longer!

He's a Double Yellow-Headed Amazon Parrot, and they have life expectancies between 60 and 80 years! 

1533150059-IMG3135.jpg

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

What a beautiful creature, my wife wants to know what he is called. sorry for being forward :-) 

ReplyQuote
Raine
(@raine)

We have 2 german shepherds that are a constant source of joy and entertainment.   Couldn't imagine life without a dog.

Raine

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Oh my goodness, what a very pretty parrot!  Tell her she is a beautiful bird!  I too would like to know the name of such a beauty.I have one dog. Romeo, he is a shitz-zhu or however you spell it. He was a real blessing at the time my hubby was dieing of cancer. A little something to distract us all.  Before that, we had Trooper and Xena, she had to be put to sleep two months before my man died and then two months after, her son Trooper had to go to sleep also. I cried like a baby for each one. I have their pictures on my dresser.  I did not know you could love  dogs like this. I can not imagine ever loosing my little Romeo. He is ten years old. The only survivor of 7 puppies, and the runt. He is such good company and we know each other very well, I love to play with him. I do all his grooming as his hair grows a lot. True puppy love from this home! 

Sasquatch, that was kind of you to give him back. Very precious move on your part!

Linda

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

What a beautiful Double Yellow Headed Amazon! My mother-in-law had one for 46 years, but his head was fully yellow. Sadly, they had to leave him in Florida with another parrot lover when they moved up here to VT, USA to be closer to their sons. His name was Bill Byrd and he absolutely adored my mother-in-law.

I find the behavior of the Amazon to be fascinating as they mate for life, and he decided that Mom was his life partner. Bill was forever preening Mom and was very protective of her. He even shredded a few of my father-in-law's sweaters to make a nest for her! They would allow him to fly around in the house, but when it was bedtime, he'd quietly go into his cage and say, "Nite,nite." One time, he flew onto my shoulder thinking I was his beloved, took one look at me and said, "Erh?", then flew off to find Mom. It was a neat experience!

Stella

john68 and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: john68

What a beautiful creature, my wife wants to know what he is called. sorry for being forward :-) 

His name is Coco, although you may hear him say "Polly wants a cracker" from time to time ?

sjlovestosing, it's taken him nearly a year to be comfortable with my wife to be lifted up - he still tries to kill me, but I can get him whistling back and forth for a while if I start first ?

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

All parrots are one-person birds. Though Coco will learn to tolerate you. Bill Byrd hated my husband, who was 14 yrs. when his family got him at the tender age of three months. One time, while Lee was asleep, Bill flew over my father-in-law's dresser, grabbed his after shave and flew over Lee dropping the bottle, but narrowly missing his target! (TRUE STORY!) He always tried to bite Lee and his father and brother. I guess he saw them as competition!

Stella

john68 and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Like a lot of people we too have adopted many pets and yes they are family to us . I believe if you get a pet it is yours forever . I agree with you Eric I hate to see someone get a pet then get rid of them . They will give their all for you and I think you should give your all for them . We have 3 cats 2 of which were rescued and have past ones with us who have passed and our with us still after being cremated . We also have a small Shih-Tzu named Louie 1o lbs at best . We had gotten him for our daughter as a combination graduation birthday present . But as it turned out he ended up somehow being more of ours than hers . He now is almost 14 years old has had recent surgeries etc. and it gets kinda pricey but thats ok because he is our boy . He goes everywhere with us where he can go . When we go camping of course he goes too . He can't walk to far because of back problems so we have a wagon we pull him in and he loves riding in it or even just hanging out in it . We have always had pets (family to us) Last large dog we had was a Rottweiler he was my buddy too . When he passed away we had him cremated also . But on a sad note one night someone broke in and must have thought the box was something of value (it was to me) and they took him . He was my big buddy now I have my little buddy and we will probably always have a 4 legged family member they add so much to our lives .

Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

What's the ol' saying?  A home is nothing unless there is a woman in it???  So True---  :-)

But in My home?  It is nothing without a pet in it also!  That is a must to have!! 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

Robert reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bubbles)

Right now we have a Bijon we got from a rescue. Before that we had two Maltese . The Maltese have gone to heaven but we still talk about them daily and miss them terribly. We do not have children so these pups are our babies spoiled rotten . Our Bijon rides in the front passenger seat in a custom pup seat all strapped in and I ride in the back seat . He can see better sitting up front and I know how happy he gets going for a ride he deserves to  ride shot gun with his Daddy . 

Robert reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Eric, that bird is really beautiful! 

For us it is an endless stream of wayward cats. I leave the door open ( metaphorically) and they move right in. Right now we only have only two. Down from seven a few years ago.

We also walk the neighbors giant chocolate labrador ( 130 lbs). Walking is so much more fun with a dog!

We have some friends who foster endless litters of kittens that have been brought to the shelter. They keep them until they are ready to be adopted...hand raised and happy. Permanent kittens! What a fun treat.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote