Colostomy total abs...

Notifications
Clear all

Colostomy total abstruction  

danbh
(@danbh)
Registered
Topic starter  

First I hope all had a good Thanksgiving, and hope all is well with everyone.

Last Friday Nov 20, I woke up at 2:00 AM with a real bad pain in the lower abdomen,  and around the Stoma. I have had before a partial blockage, and after drinking some prune juice it went away within half an hour, but not this time. Even gas did not get out, and around 9:00 AM I called my Doctor, and was told to get my butt to the E.R (The last thing I wanted to).

After waiting in E.R for a while I was taken to C.T scan, and once results came back, I had a tube pushed up my nose, all the way down to pump out everything and relieve the pressure so what was stuck in there could get away. I was admitted, and was in there till Sunday, when the tube was removed and first time I got to eat some solids. I was released Sunday afternoon, and doing well since.

Like Eric says all the time - take your time eating, chew the food well, and drink a lot. I join Eric with this recommendation, and if you don't want the agony of tube going down your throat, take this advise.

Wishing you all happy holidays, and try keeping the E.R out of the holidays.

Dan

LK, Tony H and Tigerlily liked
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

Advice heeded, Dan. Glad to hear that you’re OK, but sorry you had to go through this. Thanks for telling us your story. Take care.

Just a semicolon

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered

Glad that you are feeling better, Dan - what an ordeal, and thank you for the advice/reminder. When I read this I went and got a drink of water. Like you, my wish is that we will all be well during the holidays, and that they will be happy. LL

Colostomy 4/30/18
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK and Tigerlily liked
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered

Advice well heeded indeed. I am glad that you are doing ok now. Sorry to hear about your ordeal, though.

Stella

LK liked
ReplyQuote
LK
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)
Registered

Dan...my goodness, I'm sorry to hear this! For me the GI Tube going in is the worst!! I'm so glad you've recovered from your experience. Eric has given excellent advice & I'm sure we can  all use the reminder here & there!!! Be well & lol...make like a train... chew chew chew!!! (Lol.. sorry)

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@danbh That's definitely not the type of Thanksgiving weekend you'd want. I'm sorry you had to experience that. 

There's a lesson here, hopefully: Do you know what food caused it or why the blockage developed? Seems you already hinted at chewing or eating fast, so those are easy to correct in the future. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered

dan, it kind of sounds like the blockage was not at the stoma?  were you having normal daily output and then it stopped?    this sounds different than the typical ileostomy  blockage. 

as a reference, a friends father had a rupture that started as very slow moving digestion that finally stopped,blocked and ruptured..

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Registered
Topic starter  

@veganostomy

Hi Eric, hope you and your family had a good holiday. I did not eat anything I should not, it was a lesion where the rectum was removed. I got warned that this may never happen again, or happen at any time. What ever it is, I am alive, well, and happy, just taking it one day at a time.

Got to thank you again for this web site, you work very hard on it, and help us all, THANK YOU.

Dan

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

@danbh Dan, I'm glad that you are well and happy (that helps!). I hope that's the first and last time you get that type of blockage. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote