Bermuda

8 Posts
5 Users
3 Likes
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

Hi all!

My husband and I just came back from Bermuda - it was a gift from friends of ours who live on the island. We went down there ten years ago, and our friends have been asking us to come back. So for Christmas last year they gave us this trip. We stayed at their place, which is a 200 year old home with all the beauty of traditional Bermudian architecture. The temperatures were fantastic as they were constant at 74 degrees fahrenheit. On the days when there was sun, the water was an amazing azure. We did do some sight seeing and  drove a Twizy for one day while we were there. Our friends went above board to make sure we had a nice time.

The only glitch to our stay was that one of our friends ended up having emergency surgery. He hadn't felt well for a while and was admitted in the emergency ward. The doctors found that he had a fistula between his bladder and colon and ended up having a resection done. He is doing well so far as we know, but it was a rough go for him at first.

I would like to wish all my American ostomates (and any others who celebrate this holiday) a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow. I look forward to my first since my operation, since I have much to be grateful for. God bless!!!

Stella 

LK and john68 reacted
(@john68)

Hi Stella Good on you that sounds wonderful, yep Happy Thanksgiving to all ?

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hey Stella, that sounds like a wonderful place to go. Beaches steal my heart and soul every time I am on one. I love to collect shells and try and bring home a bit of sand when I get opportunity to be on a new one. Spice jars come in handy for that. It sounds, with the exception of your friends situation, that you still had a wonderful time. I am so glad for you that you had that opportunity with your hubby.  What a very thoughtful gift these friends of yours gave you. Was this your first holiday since your surgery? I am so very happy for you both and I hope your friend recovers well. Are they adopting strays? Lol!

Linda

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

Yes, Linda, this was our first holiday in ten years. My husband is a self-employed carpenter/remodeler, and he doesn't have many opportunities to take time off, so this was truly a blessing for us both. 

In regard to shells right off the beaches, it is against Bermudian law to take any shells or sand from the beach - unless you buy them from a shop. So, I bought a little bottle of pink sand (corral mixed with white sand that is found on the beaches) for our granddaughter as well as a few other trinkets for her.

Thanks for asking! God bless!!!

Stella

ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Oh Stella, I love that you could buy the sand and shells, that is always my first option...to make sure I am not breaking any laws. However, the majority of beaches I have been to are in British Columbia, so because my Dad had a yaught, we were able to visit many beaches. Grey sand is what it is...Grey, so I only ever borrowed some of it was a different colour, but I do love being able to run my fingers in the sand...on occasion a toe! Kidding.  Our trip to Hawaii, after my hubby was diagnosed with cancer, was also a gift. That was our first  holiday like that since 1987, when we magically afforded a cruise to the Caribbean. Hawaii was really special, you can imagine, we too were among the working poor so we went with three hundred dollars for food and souvenirs! We were gone seven nights, and my stoma was still very new to me. I was terrified of the issues, plus I seemed to always be dealing with hospitalizable...I don't think that s a word...we should make it one...that is a mouth full to say...I digress...LOL... blockages. We did have a lovely time together and appreciated the kindness in the gift like you would, yes, you would believe! When we got home, my Dad took all of our pictures and put them on a disc for us as well as the music he added. I love him so much for that. It is a real treasure to me. I would love to go back some day and see the sights as we stayed pretty much local to the hotel and walking distance. I can dream right? Thank you for sharing your holiday, it brought back a lot of memories for me, and at this time of year that was always so special to us, I need the walk down memory lane. Later...Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
Raine
(@raine)

Stella, I'm so glad you were able to get to the beach and relax.  I find that the beach is a healing place both mentally and physically.   My surgery was in April and in June we went to the North Carolina coast (my fav place in the world).  I didn't know if I would be able to get in the water or not but when I did it was like a victory!  

Raine

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Topic starter  

Hi Raine,

I didn't go into the water, because they were very rough, and I am not a strong swimmer. My husband did and enjoyed it thoroughly. I just love wading in the water and feeling the sand beneath my feet and between my toes.

My brother and his wife go to the NC coast every year. Where did you stay? One day, I hope we can go there, too. Other places on my "bucket" list is Old Quebec City and the Biodome in Montreal. I am hoping that we can go both places with my brother and his wife as she understands French very well. (Her parents were French Canadians). My husband understands some, but some words escape him. 

Stella

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Woah, I hope your friend is ok! That sounds like quite a serious thing to have to experience while out on vacation!

But I'm glad that you guys had fun! 

I haven't been to Montreal in over 25 years, but I'd love to visit there again - Old Quebec City also sounds wonderful. Like going to Europe, but staying in Canada :) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote