Clear all

.... and we have lift-off  

RSS

LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
March 7, 2020 11:15 pm  

First, I am a pancaker.

Is this what is considered a blowout? - New wafer, barrier ring and pouch this morning, went to a meeting and shopping, when I got home my stoma seemed rather active; it slowed down,  I emptied (output was thick and pancaking) and then  took a 20-minute nap on the couch (not on my back). Woke up and the pouch seemed to be really pancaked at the top. Well, when I took a look I saw that new output, which was quite thick, had pushed under the new barrier ring and wafer, and actually lifted the wafer up on the right side - what a mess. The barrier ring really stuck to my skin and and had actually seemed to fuse with the output. in trying to clean my skin I scratched something at the base of the stoma, which then bled .... blotted and eventually lessened that, put a tiny bit of tissue under the new ring to try to blot it, then put on a whole new appliance.

What if this happens again when I am at work? - it is the pancaking, which is getting worse. I try to remember to drink, but my output is getting thicker and thicker.

Would really appreciate any ideas, I am game for experimenting.

glenn.giroir
(@glenn-giroir)
Registered
March 7, 2020 11:30 pm  

I've had one blowout.  It was at night, and like you describe, one side of my wafer had been lifted.  It was lifted to the point that output had pushed under the wafer and spilled out onto my stomach.  Not just a leak, half of the wafer was no longer attached to my skin.  I've since started waking at about 2:30am to empty the bag (which is normally ballooned by that point).  No problems since.  I hate bags with filters because they cause a lot of pancaking for me.  But I have to be careful at night to not get the bag too ballooned.  As far a consistency of output, I tend to have pretty thick output also, and drinking lots of water does little to thin things out.  I rinse the bag with every emptying to get the thick stuff out.  I empty as much output as possible, then I pour a cup of water into the pouch through the outlet, close it up, swish the water around, then re-empty.  Gets everything out.  I hope you don't have any more problems.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 7, 2020 11:32 pm  

That was unfortunate! If you are awake, try to direct the flow of your output or push it down if you need to before it pancakes too much. Of course, you can use other methods to help (like drinking more) but there is no single solution that will remedy it so you'll likely have to use a combination of techniques. Are you using any lubricating products to make the inside of the pouch slippery and more difficult for the stool to stay stuck? 

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
March 7, 2020 11:47 pm  

Thanks, Glenn and Erik. Like happened in your event, Glenn, the wafer was no longer attached to the skin on the one side - yeck. I have been using a lubricant but only when I change the bag, will try adding a little after I empty each time - hope that will help. 

i have been lucky in that my stoma is usually all but inactive during the night (I am knocking wood here!)

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
March 8, 2020 4:24 am  

I can tell this has rattled you, the thickness of the output obviously is a factor. Have you been eating more starchy foods, I find prune juice helps me, just be careful how much you take 

LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 9, 2020 10:47 am  
Posted by: @llholiday

I have been using a lubricant but only when I change the bag, will try adding a little after I empty each time - hope that will help. 

Remember that lubricant needs to be spread around the inside of the bag, not just put in and left. It's especially important to make sure that the top of your bag is lubricated so doesn't collect up there - just be sure to avoid the filter as the lubricant may clog it faster.

LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)
Registered
March 10, 2020 6:47 pm  

Thanks again - Erik, I have been using the lubricant too sparingly, I think, and am experimenting with using it more often. John, I have begun drinking a little prune juice and that seems to be helping. Yes, I was rattled, indeed, but have been pulling myself together!

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
ChrisandBagpus
(@chrisandbagpus)
Registered
March 11, 2020 4:18 am  

@llholiday

I personally have noticed Bagpus's volume and activity is directly proportional to how I'm feeling and how much stress I'm under. I'm on a chemo/radio treatment program on the weekend off the radio treatment Sunday morning Bagpus just kept emptying and emptying and emptying and emptying obviously the stress and treatment really upset Bagpus.

So yes if your rattled it might cause more pancaking.

I have also noticed with the bag off output is more shall I say forthcoming :roll: when its busy time! could be something to do with the air pressure building in the bag

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
March 11, 2020 12:02 pm  

Hi Chris, I agree, I have always noticed that even when I empty the bag it’s encouraging more movement 

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered
March 12, 2020 11:16 am  

once you have drained a bag, i wouldn't add a lubricant after.  the best lubricant at this point is just a little bit of water.   watered down output is its best lubricant.  save the lube for new bags.

sounds more like you had a weak attached flange.  as I've said before,  my output is usually play-doh thick.    I have had few blow outs over the years to the point I never worry about blow outs related to pancaking, unless the bag is a couple days old and I am wearing a wet suit.

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Registered
March 12, 2020 10:13 pm  

@llholiday

I had this happen to me at work, I was lucky to be hidden from others, when my bag fell off as a result of pancaking pushing it off. I picked it up, put it back on and ran to the bathroom. I am lucky I have Colostomy, all output was contained in the bag. To lube the bag I have started using (and still do) baby oil, it does not harm the Stoma, and keeps the bag slippery for output to fall into bag. Just remember to make sure you have it all over the inside of the bag. it is cheap, and a bottle of that lasts me a month or more. Every time you you empty the bag, add a bit, and it really works.

Good luck

Dan

LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Registered
March 12, 2020 10:18 pm  

Eric,

I think you should remind people about the "Brava elastic barrier strips", I seen it I think in one of your videos, and never put any barrier with out that strip. Can not tell you how many times it saved me.

Just a thought

Dan

LLNorth liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 13, 2020 12:23 pm  

@danbh

While I use this type of product to prevent the edges of my wafer from peeling, I don't usually recommend them for leak prevention around the stoma. However, in the case of a blowout, they can be useful as a last line of defense in case there's a breach. 

ReplyQuote