Clear all

Prevent skin trouble around the Stoma

9 Posts
6 Users
11 Likes
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

Many of us have all sorts of skin trouble around the Stoma, sometime it's a minor irritation, and other times it's a full blown broken infected skin, which hurts cleaning, or having the wafer attached to it. 

Since my surgery, and the home visiting nurse, I have been doing it one way only, and never had any skin trouble what so ever.

I have watched a lot of people on u-tube take a video of how they change their bag and wafer. After removing the bag they just pull the wafer tape off their skin, this is a request for trouble, specially if you already have an irritation. Pulling the tape off the irritated skin can start the skin tearing, and from there it's a short way to trouble. I use the Adapt 7760 no sting universal remover wipe (Not the spray). pull a tiny bit of tape up, put the wipe between the tape and the skin, pushing down on the skin (not pulling on the tape), it separates the tape from the skin gently, continue this all the way around till the wafer is off. Clean the area with warm water using a gauze or what you are using to clean around the Stoma.

If your skin is doing good now, you will not have any trouble with it doing it this way. I have been doing it now for 26 months, and the skin is as good as the rest of the body.

Let me know how you are doing, or if you find a better way, to do the same.

Dan

Tony H, SqueakyandLiza, VeganOstomy and 1 people reacted
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Thanks for the reminder, Dan! 

Funny story : I was given a samples kit before my surgery so I put an appliance on to see how it would feel. 

Things went well but when it came time to remove the appliance, it would not come off. It took a very long time to get it off and I had resorted to everything from soap to rubbing alcohol before finally getting it off. 

I was then introduced to adhesive remover wipes and sprays and it changed my life. 

It's something I would definitely recommend.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK and SqueakyandLiza reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Thanks Dan. My skin is pretty irritated and I probably don't take the proper care in removing my bag. I have had so many leaks lately that I have gotten out of my usual changing routine, and the majority of the adhesive is still sticking, so this reminder is very helpful for me. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Thanks for the reminder, Dan. Sometimes we can get a little lazy and not do what's best for us!

Stella

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Thanks Dan, It is good to remind people about the adhesive removers. Care of that skin area is key to an appliance that will stick well. And  also helps to maintaining  smooth healthy skin.

I use the Adapt wipes too ( Hollister 7760).

In every pouch there is a small wipe in the liquid solution. If you carefully open the sachet, you can then remove the wipe a then pour whatever liquid is inside over the top of the wafer. I find this helps the adhesive begin to dissolve.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Dan, that is a great reminder!  I learned from the best about the skin adhesive remover sprays. I LOVE that little can! My pouches would seal to me like velcro and you could actually see the wafer material stretch as I tried to remove it.  The morning of my last scope, I had put on a clean pouch and took care of the skin as usual.  It has been doing beautiful since the sprays, which  I use in combo with the wipes, same with the barrier sprays and wipes. That last scope really upset me because the doctor just simply hauled off the pouch and stuffed the garden hose, oops I man scope,  in, and in doing so he tore the skin in five places and the pressure from the scope going in tore a small area around the stoma and skin.  I felt angry when I got home and tried to look after the skin, and I will be talking to the gastro surgeon (or what ever he was) who did the scope about this when I see him in October and I am bringing a friend in the room so he has to listen to what I say and there is a witness.  I would at this point advise anyone having a scope with a stoma to ask the one performing such a thing how he plans to get to the stoma and the let him know he can well "get to it" thru the opening of the pouch where we drain it from and to do this to avoid the tearing of skin.  I have never had a scope with this stoma where the pouch was removed. He, removing the pouch left my whole stomach on an awful mess and I had to put on a new pouch so out of it from the sedation, but not sleepy (wrong combo of drugs for me) and had to redo it once at home. I deal with eczema so taking care of the skin has been vital for me.  Thanks again for this forum!

Linda

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

While reading all the posts left by you wonderful people, I thought of one more thing. I am using the Eakin ring, which does great keeping any output leaks, and wafer problem. The Mfg of this ring say you should not worry if any sticky stuff remains around the Stoma (Eric also in his video says the same as the Mfg) and I do not like that idea, I clean it all, till there is nothing left on the skin. My idea is that after a few changes, leaving a bit here, and a bit there, may (and I do not know for sure - not a Doctor) cause the skin not to be able to breath, and results in skin problems. The fact is, I clean it all and have no skin trouble what so ever. That may or may not be the reason, but I will not try changing my way, as it works for me.

Dan

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

I too like to clean right down to the skin.

I use a nylon washcloth like this:

https://amzn.to/2A4C0Ew

In combination with non residue bar soap from Purpose. My dermatologist told me about the soap. Its a glycerin base, so non Vegan, just so you know.

https://amzn.to/2HWWK5e

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

I forgot to add... a word of warning.

Be really careful cleaning the skin next to the stoma. The poor thing is defenseless and feels no pain. If you get t close enough to rub against it you can cause some bleeding around the edge. This will stop but will make it harder to get a good seal. 

Just have a mind to the comfort and health of your new best friend.

VeganOstomy and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote