Dealing with Ostomy Supply Costs in Canada  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 2, 2015 11:00 am  
wpf-cross-image

Let's discuss strategies to save money on ostomy supplies in Canada (Please, keep it Canadian to avoid any confusion). 

My full article on this topic can be found by clicking on the link below. 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Donna Luce
 Donna Luce
(@Donna Luce)
April 6, 2015 10:38 pm  

Wow, you did a lot of research on this one! Good job!

ReplyQuote
Neal
 Neal
(@Neal)
April 15, 2015 1:51 pm  

Individuals who served with the Canadian armed forces may be covered under the Department of Veteran Affairs for supplies. In addition, the federal Non-INsured Health Benefits program (NIHB) assists First Nation and Inuit but is based on a quota system. So individuals who may need more supplies may need to obtain further authorization from their doctor.
Also, some insurance companies may partially reimburse the cost of a parastomal hernia belt.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 15, 2015 1:57 pm  

Thank you for your comment, Neal. I'll add that additional info shortly!

My insurance company (Green Shield) will cover hernia belts with a prescription (100%).

ReplyQuote
Melissa
 Melissa
(@Melissa)
April 19, 2015 12:30 am  

I like www.ostomysale.ca for my supplies. I find them fairly cheap and they are great with delivery!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 19, 2015 1:42 am  

Thanks for your comment, Melissa. I've heard of them, but never ordered from them.

ReplyQuote
Stacy Bruce
 Stacy Bruce
(@Stacy Bruce)
July 27, 2017 3:51 pm  

Oops! Just sent you a private message earlier requesting a new post or update about insurance and tax deductions, and just now noticed that you have already done so in July 2017! The online suppliers are also excellent and I save at least 30-40$ per order!
Thanks for all of this info Eric! It has saved me so much money and worries!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 28, 2017 12:07 am  

No problem :)

Have a great weekend.

ReplyQuote
Tom Johnson
 Tom Johnson
(@Tom Johnson)
August 21, 2017 10:43 am  

It's really good of you to do this for the Ostomy community.
I recently had a major invoice fiasco with Canada Care Medical that caused me a lot of grief with my insurance company. Even though I get subsidized by insurance on top of the grant I negotiated a 10% permanent discount.

I see online that I can get the same products online at significantly lower prices (25-30% less). On my latest bill of $717 (that's after the 10% off) I would have saved $200 buying from Payless.

The local markups are obscene. I'll probably buy online from now on because I just can't support that kind of price gouging.

I'll add that it is also obscene that Holister has products that are plastic and adhesive, that I doubt cost more than 50c each to manufacture and they end up costing us $7-12 each. The Ceraring adapter at $6-9 each tops the scale of just wrong. It speaks to morally and ethically bankrupt American companies.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
August 21, 2017 11:06 am  

I hear you, Tom!

I am forever frustrated by the cost of supplies, especially the local prices, which seem to be 2-3x higher if you say you have insurance.

I have tried (and will review) some low-cost supplies, but you really can tell the difference in quality between premium brands and the low-cost ones (i.e thinner material, no filter, no fancy outlets, etc.).

ReplyQuote
Millie
 Millie
(@Millie)
December 10, 2017 10:37 pm  

As I search for information, your work keeps showing up. Thanks so much for the awesome work you do to help others. Greatly appreciated here!!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 11, 2017 11:51 am  

hehe, thanks! My goal is to eventually be the only place an ostomate needs to visit to get all the information they could ever need!

ReplyQuote
Jeff W.
 Jeff W.
(@Jeff W.)
January 25, 2018 4:02 pm  

Hi Eric,
Can I ask why a pouch that has a filter cannot be reused as you've mentioned above. Does it have to do with getting wet? Convatec sends extra filters with their pouches.

Regards

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 25, 2018 4:34 pm  

Good question.

Some companies (like you mentioned, ConvaTec) have replaceable filters that can extend the life of the actual pouch. Most, unfortunately, come with a permanent filter that gets clogged quickly and cannot be replaced so the entire bag has to go.

ReplyQuote
Joan
 Joan
(@Joan)
February 2, 2018 3:54 pm  

I am about to become an ostomate with an ileostomy. How much will it cost me each month for supplies? I think I will be going with a two piece system.

I'm grateful for any information. I haven't seen an ET nurse yet, she was on vacation when I attended the pre admission clinic!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 2, 2018 4:30 pm  

Hi Joan,

What province or territory do you live in?

Depending on your appliance needs (i.e whether you need a flat or convex wafer; barrier ring; skin supplies, etc) your costs may vary wildly. If you only need a bag and pouch, it could cost under $100 a month, but if you need special supplies, then that amount could go up to $300+ and that's assuming you aren't changing your appliance more than once every three days.

ReplyQuote
Joan
 Joan
(@joanofdenvilles)
Registered
February 2, 2018 5:24 pm  

Thank you for that Eric. Here's hoping I'm lucky enough to keep to the lower budget. I live in Nova Scotia and I'm not eligible for any Government funding as I am not on benefits and my income is above their threshold. I have just printed off your dietary advice for the first six weeks and spent hours watching your videos to learn as much as possible before the event. Although feeling anxious about the surgery and recovery, I think I'm feeling pretty positive about life in general post surgery thanks in no small part to your very positive videos. Thank you. I'll keep watching.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 2, 2018 5:27 pm  

Thanks, Joan.

If you haven't been looking for private insurance, I would suggest investigating now. I've been with Green Shield for many years, but the Ontario grants we get for supplies has gone up significantly, so the benefits of having insurance are diminishing. It's still something that helped tremendously, especially at the beginning when I was going through more supplies than I am now.

Best of luck to you!

ReplyQuote
Andrea Ross
 Andrea Ross
(@Andrea Ross)
December 18, 2018 6:01 am  

I go through an inordinate amount of supplies per month and cannot find any financial assistance other than Ontario ADP programme. This only covers about 2-3 months of supplies that I use in a year. I am a senior and have seniors group insurance through my previous employer, but they only cover 20% of the costs up to $3.000.00 per year, with a lifetime max of $50,000. There have been many times when I have had to go without an appliance due to financial restraints. Can you point me in a direction of financial assistance or is it best to go with additional coverage through green shield Canada? I do not want to sound whinny but am at my whits end and am certain that there are many people out there who suffer the same fate. I am not living, just existing due to costs and skin issues. Any guidance you can give me will be greatly appreciated.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 31, 2018 11:06 am  

Hi Andrea,

Sorry for the late reply.

Green Shield is definitely going to help as they cover 100% (up to a yearly maximum that increases each year). I would speak with them in addition to collecting the ADP.

Also, be sure to list your out of pocket medical expenses on your income tax as you should be able to benefit from a larger refund by doing that.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:

Please Login or Register