Clear all

Adapt lubricating deodorant (78501)

17 Posts
8 Users
9 Likes
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

I have been using the lubricating deodorant mostly for the lubrication of the pouch, not so much the deodorant in it. I use it with my Hollister 18183 pouch. According to MFG instructions, you should pour the whole 8 ml packet into the pouch, every time you empty the pouch, and it mostly get sucked by the output after not too long if you let the output sit in the pouch. On the other hand at times I have to empty the pouch 3 to 4 times a day, and with my insurance (Medicare) allowing me only 30 packets in one order, once a month. I have written to them, my Doctor wrote to them, and my Stoma nurse did too, to no avail. I had to get the 30 from them, and buy a box on my own because I do not have enough.

6 weeks ago I got fed up with this absurd deal, and decided against every thing I was told by the Stoma nurse, and everyone else, to start using Johnson's baby oil, and see what happens. The pouch by Hollister is as Eric said has its own flows, but has not given me any trouble while using the baby oil, my output goes down to the bottom of the bag with no trouble, it does not effect the wafer at all, and I get 5 to 6 days from the wafer just like I did before, but I don't have to keep pushing output down, or take off the pouch, to clean what sits on the Stoma. The pouch stay lubricate for a lot longer time, I put the baby oil only twice a day, NOT after every time I empty the pouch.

I intend to keep using it for a while longer, and if it keeps working as it does now, write to Hollister and let them know. I have not tried it on any other MFG, so this may or may not work with other pouches.

Has anyone tried this? and if yes, what results did you have?

Dan

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

If it works, keep using it! 

I generally don't use a lubricating deodorant (M9 works well as it is), but I would probably experiment with oils if I had to pay for it or if my insurance capped how many sachets I could get per month. 

There shouldn't be any real danger of using baby oil as long as it's not really coming in contact with your stoma or the wafer hole. 

Continue to let us know how it works for you! 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Hi Dan

I too use Hollister lubricant 78500 (bottle) though . I also use it more for the lube than the deodorizer and like you I am on Medicare and they will only give me so much . So I too tried using the Baby oil to stretch it out so I wouldn't run out . But I mix a little oil and water  with my lubricant and I use it every time I empty which can be 10 times a day depending on how much I eat . I had heard not to put anything in your pouch that you wouldn't put in your mouth for fear of it harming the stoma but I have had no problems at all . I even have used a little hydrogen peroxide in the mix thinking maybe it would help with odor . But when I use it I only use a small squirt at a time in my bag . I also rinse my bag pretty much every time with water then give it a little squirt . I have an Ileostomy and use a 2 piece system . I just change barrier every Sunday and Thursday and bags 1 time in between on a regular schedule . And knock on wood I haven't had a problem of any kind in probably 2 years . I received my stoma (Norman) in Sept. 2016 .

Good Luck to ya

Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

Marcie reacted
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Great idea Robert !! Some even use baby shampoo when there is no insurance. Works great

I have another advise that many men and woman use now that the hot weather is coming to us..

take a ladies pantie liner (not maxie pad) and press this to the back of the pouch.. this will provide comfort and avoid rash and pouch will not get stuck to your skin. Much success!!  (the cheaper ones r not suggested tho - drug store brand) 

gone?

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

Robert reacted
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)

Hey Marcie

I don't know if I can do a pantie liner but I'll keep that in mind . Its not that hot here yet but it will be hey you never know right ? There's all kinds of tricks . What works for one may not for another .

Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

we wont tell Robert...………….. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi all,

My ostomy nurse recommended using mineral oil with a few drops of essential oil, such as peppermint or lavender, as a lubricant. (I use lavender because it is the most gentle of the essential oils.) Also, as Eric suggests, I don't put it near my stoma or barrier as I want to make sure my appliance doesn't fall off! However, mineral oil is very safe and can be  used  internally for those times when you need a little extra help softening stool. I use probably one or two teaspoons after I put on a clean appliance and after I empty my bag. 

Stella

Robert and Marcie reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: sjlovestosing

Hi all,

My ostomy nurse recommended using mineral oil with a few drops of essential oil, such as peppermint or lavender, as a lubricant. (I use lavender because it is the most gentle of the essential oils.) 

How do you find the smell with the essential oils? I tried it once using a few different types (separately) and the smell was very skunky after a day or two, so I stopped doing it. I'd be interested in knowing what your experience has been like. 

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

I found the same thing Eric..  Anything with a perfume sent seems to cover then turns just awful.. I don't mean to advertize-- but I do like M-9. 

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

To update my original posting above:

I am very happy with my decision to try baby oil as my lubricant for my pouch.

Not only does the out put of my Colostomy drop right to the bottom of the pouch, but the pouch also stays clean, including the bottom neck where I empty it through. I am glad I can drop the fight with Medicare in this regard, it looks like a lost cause, and they will not change their decision (none of them knows anything about Ostomy and what we go through day in, and day out).

I do not see that the baby oil cause any problem with the wafer, the pouch, or my Stoma, and as long as it works I will stick to this, not changing or adding any other oils to it.

I only wish I had the guts to try this long time ago, but was told that it is not a good idea to do so. It was not a good idea, it was a great idea.

Robert, I am glad it works for you too, your need to wash the bag is because you have Ileostomy and I have Colostomy, which is much easier to take care of I guess.

Hoping we all have a quite & peaceful Ostomy year (or what is left of it).

Dan

Robert, LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
richard
(@richard)

Have not tried baby oil as a lubricant but will ask my ostomy nurse about it. I am surprised to see so many mentions of M-9 here.  Don't get me wrong, I also like it, but it is NOT a lubricant (deodorant only and works very well at that).  There are a few products out there that seem to combine M-9 with a lubricant (that is, they are blue and claim to be both deodorant and lubricant), and I have found that they work OK. Cardinal Health had one (in the USA, available from Edgepark), but that has been discontinued. Edgepark has sent me a substitute product, but I have yet to use it so no evaluation here yet.  My current approach is to use the Adapt packets only when I change the system and then to use a few drops of the bottle (the soon-to-be-gone-forever Cardinal Health blue stuff) with each emptying. I alternate my monthly order between the Adapt packets and the bottle to keep both in supply, and it tends to work out about right (or did until a recent explosion of leaks has led to more frequent changes). I also have been experimenting with removing only the pouch once a day (with two-piece system of course) and cleaning the stoma area above the wafer and the pouch opening to eliminate accumulation in that area, and this has helped tremendously with getting the output to flow down better and eliminating pancaking. Unfortunately, it is a messy procedure standing up if the stoma is active (and it usually is right before bed when I do this), but I do it with most clothes removed and standing in the shower or on an easily cleaned floor with plenty of TP or moist paper towels available. I can clean it and get the pouch back on in about five minutes.  Cleaning the "tupperware seal" area on the pouch and wafer (Hollister equipment) is the most challenging part but necessary to avoid getting output on the underside of the pouch that can then transfer to clothes, etc. 

ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

Posted by: @richard

Unfortunately, it is a messy procedure standing up if the stoma is active (and it usually is right before bed when I do this)

Eric offered a great suggestion in one of his videos, to tuck a trash bag into your pants to catch any leakage during a change. It actually works really well. 

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)
Topic starter  

I learned the trick with the bag from my home visiting nurse, right after my surgery. She came to show me how to change my side kick, and the first thing she asked is for a garbage bag, which I tucked into my shorts. It has saved my carpet, a few times. I now use shopping bags which I keep just for this, it is smaller, and does not cost me anything.

Later on I saw Eric talking about this, and it can be very helpful if your Stoma is active when you change.

Dan

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @richard

I am surprised to see so many mentions of M-9 here.  Don't get me wrong, I also like it, but it is NOT a lubricant (deodorant only and works very well at that).

You're right. M9 should not be used as a lubricant, and Hollister does not sell it as such. If I need to use a lubricant (which I don't), I would probably just combine M9 with a lubricating product :)

Posted by: @danbh

and the first thing she asked is for a garbage bag, which I tucked into my shorts

I honestly can't imagine changing my appliance without doing this. It reduces stress and saves clothes/carpets from getting messed up!

ReplyQuote
richard
(@richard)

@squeakyandliza

Indeed, I have been doing that for two years going back to the original stoma, but it still leaks on the floor.  I am glad to protect my clothes, though.  With advanced colon cancer, I have a hard time considering buying new clothes (who will wear them?), new toothpaste (bought several times at this point), etc. 

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

@Richard

Hi Richard, I am a cancer patient also (God bless you, it is not easy) and have had my stoma for over 15 months. I deal with pancaking that is so annoying; interesting that cleaning process works for you. I tried something similar a few months ago, and what a mess -  but after reading your method I am going to try again. All my best wishes, LL

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi Eric, 

How did I miss your question from 4/15/19????? I have an odorless mineral oil, but I do use M-9 with it - a few drops do it for me. Also, I failed to mention that I do add a teaspoon along with a few drops of the deodorizer every time I empty out my bag. 

Stella

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote