Community Forums

Ostomy Diet: What to Eat in the First Six Weeks (w/ video)  

Page 2 / 3
  RSS

TravelAddict14
(@traveladdict14)
Registered
November 23, 2017 6:49 pm  

What kind of smoothie? I have been ok with peach, vegan protein powder, yogurt ( I also was forced to add this back in due to lack of protein), banana and I blend until it's quite thin but is the banana too thickening?
...When I tried melon it did not go well but that was 2 weeks post op. It's actually hard to get melon off -season..it's apple/pear season down here..and soon to be citrus but I've been scared to try anything acidic.

I'm wondering if it was the lime in the juice that was a problem? It kind of looked like the juicer didn't get it all out. I guess I could try a simpler recipe..JUST spinach and apple? Just struggling to find simple 2 item recipes in order to try out "one thing at a time" idea.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
November 24, 2017 8:37 pm  

Definitely try simple recipes to start and don't be afraid to keep them on the loose end. Bananas can act as a thickener, but no so much when they are fully ripened (yellow with black spots).

If you don't like water for your liquid base, try almond milk rather than soy milk as it's more runny.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
TravelAddict14
(@traveladdict14)
Registered
November 25, 2017 3:44 pm  

Thanks so much.

Sorry to clarify but what do you mean 'on the loose end'? I don't know what to put into smoothies when i'm not supposed to have fiber? I use super ripe bananas...I'm a little worried the protein powder is thickening my output...is there anything I can put in a smoothie that wont??

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
November 27, 2017 12:09 pm  

By "loose end", I mean more watery instead of thick.

The idea of having a smoothie is that the fiber you normally wouldn't be able to tolerate very well is already broken down by the blender, which makes it far easier to pass through your system.

The protein powder might be thickening your output - you could try adding some whole nuts to your blender before adding wet ingredients (turn them into powder) and add enough almond milk to make the smoothie more runny to counter the thickening effects of whatever else you might be putting in it.

If the goal is to get nutrition, I would suggest adding frozen berries to your smoothie. Even a small amount will bring huge benefits, and the almond milk you'd use would also be fortified. Note that almond milk will have far less protein than soy milk, but it's not as thick as soy milk (you can try both).

ReplyQuote
TravelAddict14
(@traveladdict14)
Registered
November 27, 2017 12:26 pm  

Frozen berries?? But the seeds! The dieticians all say absolutely no way with berries and an ileostomy...I guess if I juice them? I am so scared to juice ever since I had a mini obstruction from juicing before.

I use almond milk because soy milk bothers my stomach. I have been using a protein nut milk (almond/cashew) but that REALLY accelerates my output.

It seems like I am just stuck and have to make it to reversal in 15 days and then I'll deal with another set of issues. I just am feeling so hopeless as I'm getting such crappy nutrition:(

Thank you for your advice!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
November 27, 2017 1:48 pm  

Strawberry/raspberry seeds from a half cup of mixed fruit should not be a problem for anyone - You should see the number of berries I eat at a time ;)

But you can also just use frozen mango, or blueberries, which shouldn't be problematic at all.

You could try juicing, but some people find it creates too much of a laxative effect.

ReplyQuote
Yvonne Roos
 Yvonne Roos
(@Yvonne Roos)
December 2, 2017 1:59 pm  

Thank you for this website!
Everytime I think of another problem somewhere you have an answer.
I am gluten free and a new ostomate.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
December 3, 2017 11:34 am  

Glad I could help, Yvonne :)

ReplyQuote
Bettina Stiemer
 Bettina Stiemer
(@Bettina Stiemer)
January 17, 2018 2:40 am  

What do diabetics (Type 1) eat? The diet advice is contrary to a diabetic diet. White bread, rice and noodles as well as canned fruit etc. is not good for me.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
January 17, 2018 10:31 am  

Hi Bettina,

I would firstly advise that you work with a dietitian who can narrow down a list of ostomy-friendly foods that are also part of a diabetes diet.

I know that among those eating plant-based diets, there are many who are managing their type-1 diabetes eating similar foods to the ones mentioned in my article.

This might provide some additional information and includes a sample menu (which can be modified to be more ostomy-friendly) : http://www.pcrm.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/health/Type-1-diabetes-fact-sheet.pdf

ReplyQuote
Amy Pickering
 Amy Pickering
(@Amy Pickering)
February 3, 2018 7:37 am  

This video was very helpful. I am 4 weeks post-op with ileostomy. The diet has been challenging. In addition to ulcerative colitis, I also have Celiac disease. Luckily, I did meet with a registered dietitian, but the more information the better. Looking forward to better days ahead.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 3, 2018 4:59 pm  

Glad you have a registered dietitian to help. Best of luck to you!

ReplyQuote
Connor McCarthy
 Connor McCarthy
(@Connor McCarthy)
March 11, 2018 12:25 am  

Currently reading this article while laying in the hospital next to a VERY loud snorer. I’m just now hitting the 2 week mark of my colostomy surgery, I rushed out of the hospital after 4 days without knowing if I could tolerate solid foods, needless to say I developed a blockage and after 48 hours ended up in the ER extremely dehydrated and projectile vomiting from the NG tube they had to reinsert(not very pleasant with the 17 staples in my abdomen). In the first weeks after surgery would you recommend not taking protein powders? I am 23 yrs old and very athletic protein shakes are a big staple in my diet.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
March 11, 2018 1:39 pm  

Hey Connor.

Sorry to hear about the less-than-ideal situation!

Protein shakes are perfectly fine, especially after surgery. I was drinking them for a while after I had my operation because I wasn't able to eat as many calories as I needed, so protein was supplemented through the use of powder.

Best of luck to you!

ReplyQuote
Carly
 Carly
(@Carly)
March 27, 2018 2:56 pm  

Wonderful thankyou very helpful

ReplyQuote
Birdbirdbird
 Birdbirdbird
(@Birdbirdbird)
April 2, 2018 7:03 pm  

I so appreciate this page and your advice, but are you a doctor? My boyfriend’s medical team told him the same thing about berries and he had ONE (1) strawberry and had a bowel obstruction that put him in the ER and hospital for 9 hours. Luckily he didn’t need another surgery, but for your safety, I would highly recommend that you give out some sort of disclaimer when giving medical advice. I’d really hate to see a very helpful page have to shut down because of a lawsuit. (That isn’t a threat from me!) But most of all, please be sensitive to individuals’ needs. If a doctor tells a patient “Don’t eat berries!” and you say “Meh I do it and it’s fine,” you risk someone hurting themselves at worst and come off as insensitive at best. I do want to emphasize that I love that this site exists because my boyfriend is indeed a vegan with an ileostomy and it’s nice to know that others may have tips that he can incorporate into his diet...with additional doctor approval. Take good care!

ReplyQuote
Birdbirdbird
 Birdbirdbird
(@Birdbirdbird)
April 2, 2018 7:07 pm  

OK so I saw your medical disclaimer just now, yay! But please try to be more sensitive to what people say their doctors are telling them. If you are not on that person’s medical team, disclaimer or no, you really should not be overriding their orders. Thanks, friend. I applaud and admire your strength and your dedication to a plant-based diet even when it’s this hard.

PPS I love how cranky my avatar looks. FITTING. 😂

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
April 2, 2018 7:39 pm  
Posted by: Birdbirdbird

I so appreciate this page and your advice, but are you a doctor? My boyfriend’s medical team told him the same thing about berries and he had ONE (1) strawberry and had a bowel obstruction that put him in the ER and hospital for 9 hours.

Hi Birdbirdbird! As per my about me page and about this site  page, and my disclaimer both in the article and at the bottom of every page on this site, I'm simply a patient sharing information that I've either learned through experience or through best practices established by nurses and doctors. 

I'm actually very sensitive to making sure that any information I provide is accurate and in no way makes it seem as if it should be taken over your doctor's recommendations. 

Regarding food, there are many recommendations that certified ostomy nurses and surgeons will tell patients, but even those could be risky for certain ostomates depending on their health history, stoma type, internal scarring, past history of strictures, etc. 

One strawberry causing a blockage is very unusual. Did the doctors at the ER say why it caused an obstruction? I'm assuming it wasn't eaten whole. Did he eat anything else that day? How recent was his surgery? 

If a doctor tells a patient “Don’t eat berries!” and you say “Meh I do it and it’s fine,” you risk someone hurting themselves at worst and come off as insensitive at best. I do want to emphasize that I love that this site exists because my boyfriend is indeed a vegan with an ileostomy and it’s nice to know that others may have tips that he can incorporate into his diet...with additional doctor approval. Take good care!

I totally agree! Some people simply have trouble with "safe foods" - the vast majority do not, which is why I'm of the opinion that most people shouldn't exclude healthy foods because of warnings intended for a small group of patients. 

Had I followed the guidance of the "safe food list" I was given, I'd still be eating crackers and pureed food!

OK so I saw your medical disclaimer just now, yay! But please try to be more sensitive to what people say their doctors are telling them. If you are not on that person’s medical team, disclaimer or no, you really should not be overriding their orders.

I'll be the first to suggest that someone speak to their doctor, nurse, dietitian, etc. You wouldn't believe how many emails I get with very serious medical questions - they always get the same reply "talk to your doctor or nurse". 

Thanks, friend. I applaud and admire your strength and your dedication to a plant-based diet even when it’s this hard.

You're very welcome :) And please, if you have any other concerns, please let me know! I want this website (and the information I provide) to be accurate and trusted. There are many ostomy nurses who read this site, and if there are any points that need to be clarified, I always make sure that gets done.

Winterblue and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
April 2, 2018 9:06 pm  

We all know that certain foods will give trouble and are advised to avoid. It sounds daft but for me Lettuce has always been a major problem. All of the advice and replies on VO are advise and experience of a seasoned ostomate and its clearly stated that its not medical advise. I had seen dozens of cases where that has been stated to questions.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)
Registered
April 2, 2018 9:57 pm  

Hi all. I saw the post from Bettina re: diabetes. When I had my ostomy the nurse gave me a list of foods that I should not eat that would "give me all kinds of problems if I ate them". Among them were lettuce spinach seeds Etc. I came home reading that list of foods and realizing that I also had an anti-inflammatory diet because I have severe rheumatoid arthritis and I also count carbs because I'm Type 1 diabetic. As I looked at those diets I realized suddenly that there was nothing that I could eat and thet I was going to slowly starve to death. I went to my primary care doctor and while I was there in a lighter moment she suggested that I could eat ribeye steaks with caramel sauce (please note it was a moment that needed a laugh and i did..the laugh was much needed) she then suggested that I talk to the education people in my endocrinologist office and find out if one of them was a dietitian. And sure enough one of them was I should have known that right from the beginning but I made an appointment and got in to see her. I showed her all of the information that had been given me. She was already aware of the anti-inflammatory issues and my diabetic issues. As she talked to me we decided that the best thing for me was to continue to follow my diabetic diet as the basis to build on. I am type one and I carb count. And I am well familiar with the different types of carbohydrates and how they affect me. She then suggested that after that I take the lists that were given to me for anti-inflammatory and for the ostomy and add foods to my diet from those diets at to see how they worked out. Kind of like a test add something and see if it works out okay. We already knew that seeds would not be good for me especially strawberry seeds, tomato seeds, and sesame seeds and others that are tiny seeds. My ostomy was as a result of diverticulitis that was ready to rupture. Something had gotten lodged in one of the diverticula in my colon and had fermented and was infected and ready to explode. I was told by my doctor that I still had diverticuli in the part of my colon that is left (I have a little less than half my colon left) and that I could have another incident caused by small seeds and things like that. So in my case I avoid seeds like the plague. Just because I don't want to go through that kind of pain and more surgery again. In addition to the suggestions for adding foods and testing them basing it on my diabetic carb counting she also suggested that the FODMAP diet would be helpful ( yup She added another diet to the list, but it is helpful. I will give you the definition from literature she gave me. "FODMAPS are a group of small chain carbohydrates (sugars and fibers) that are commonly malabsorbed in the small intestine. Fodmaps are abundant in the diet and can be found in everyday foods such as wheat, barley, Rye, apples, mango, onion, garlic, honey, kidney beans, cashew nuts, agave syrup, sugar-free gum, mints and some medications to name a few. Up to 75% of those who suffer with IBS will benefit from a dietary restriction of fodmaps research has shown the low FODMAP diet improves GI symptoms for many people." There is a lot of information on the internet about fodmaps if you have not heard about them. As I said I have found them helpful for me it has made me more secure in what I do eat and I feel like I have gotten along a lot better. I'm no longer afraid to open the refrigerator and eat something. Hope maybe some of this information helps somebody out there.

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, polymyalgia rhumatica, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. 6 bouts of c-diff, failed fecal transplant. Complete colonectomy and ileostomy July 30, 2018. ENOUGH!!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3
Share:

Please Login or Register