Community Forums

Ostomy Diet: What t...

Notifications
Clear all

Ostomy Diet: What to Eat in the First Six Weeks (w/ video)

75 Posts
15 Users
50 Likes
15.3 K Views
Kerby
(@lkerby33)

I am 4 months out from Colostomy. Much knowledge learned from Vegan Ostomy ( Eric)  Like I've mentioned before, I came home totally lost. I was lucky to come across Vegan Ostomy. My first 3 Home care Nurses were just not into either helping me or their mind was on something else. I finally lucked out an got an awesome Nurse?! Whom " knew" what she was doing. Between Eric and my Nurse,  I grew up,  when it come to what we eat, which Ostomy we have, we are our own advocate. It's called testing, trying. We are all different. I'm lucky. I've had no blockages not even close!!!  Yes, I eat berries. There's no much I don't eat. I also chew,  chew, chew.  Someone told me that?  Hummm.. Wonder who?  Eric guides us,  it's up to us to determine what's wrong. I've learned that my 5 Doctors don't know everything, in fact they learn and listen. Ask questions. They don't go home with us. Your gonna come across issues that will make you doubt yourself, want to give up!!  I've been on the floor with prayers a few times. Yes, it's a set back, or maybe not. I'm alive!!  I've fought the challenges like all of you with pouches, barriers , you name it. There are really great Ostimates on this sight with alot of knowledge. 

It's your choice, your decision on your care, only you. I asked some questions to Eric many times, which I thought was silly. Eric has always handled Answers, situations with respect. I'm fortunate he's taken his time, with little income to do this on his own. I learned a heck of alot. I became more confident. It's up to us to be happy. I know going through Cancer treatment their were others worse off. I'm lucky. I was given a chance. God Bless all of you. Hang in there, life is worth it. ???

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Well put John.  I can eat ice burg lettuce. -- but not the leafy type.  Everyone is different.  As we all have learned about OURSELVES and from others here, as we proceed into our new life as an Ostomate, our diet's/foods improve..  Like Eric said, follow the Doctors advise, and slowly if you want introduce new foods--keep a diary.. I can eat grapes-not to many at one time- I can eat many straw berrys, pealed oranges.. I started slow and worked my way up-- Although, I NEVER had these above the first 8 months tho.. and if I did ? water was a main factor of comsuming these. Now I just pop them in, chew, and enjoy!! Got to CHEW !!!!!!!! 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

Your doing good Kerby !!!!!!!!!!!  It takes a good year to get us straightened out--but we get there right?  Our pouching systems, eating regular foods again.  We know our bodies best.sending you healthy wishes. M. 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Kerby
(@lkerby33)

Thank you.. :)

ReplyQuote
Barbara
(@msbjlee)

Amen Kerby, well put... it takes time to learn and test things. I am from the generation whete the doctor was "god". Its taken a long ti.e to learn they don't know everything . The good ones are The ones who listen to us.

Severe rheumatoid arthritis, spondoloarthropy, polymyalgia rhumatica, type 1 diabetic, IBS and finally, emergency diverticulitis surgery, colon removed Stella born Jan. 27, 2017. 6 bouts of c-diff, failed fecal transplant. Complete colonectomy and ileostomy July 30, 2018. ENOUGH!!

ReplyQuote
(@Lisa Adams)

I went in recently for my ileostomy Loop procedure unfortunately two days in the hospital turned into 10 days in the hospital because I got a blockage and had to get an NG Tube. I just got home a few days ago and it's been really hard to figure out what I can eat because I eat really healthy before surgery and now it seems like most of the things I ate I can't eat anymore I found this extremely helpful does anybody have any pointers for shakes or anything that I should do I'm only 2 weeks out from my surgery

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: Lisa Adams

I went in recently for my ileostomy Loop procedure unfortunately two days in the hospital turned into 10 days in the hospital because I got a blockage and had to get an NG Tube. I just got home a few days ago and it's been really hard to figure out what I can eat because I eat really healthy before surgery and now it seems like most of the things I ate I can't eat anymore I found this extremely helpful does anybody have any pointers for shakes or anything that I should do I'm only 2 weeks out from my surgery

Hi Lisa,

Sorry to hear about your NG tube experience! 

It may still take some time for your body to adjust, but I would start with basic shakes or smoothies.

A few examples:

- add almond or soy milk to a blender (use whatever quantity you're comfortable with)

- add in one or two bananas

- (optional) add in other fruit like mangoes, pineapple, strawberries, or greens.

Blend until totally smooth. You may decide to also add a meal replacer or protein powder to that recipe as well, but the idea is to get something easy to digest which gives you a caloric boost and a good amount of nutrition.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
danbh
(@danbh)

In the first video on this page, Eric is saying he was shocked that people were sent home after surgery, with no instructions as to what should they eat, or what to avoid for the first six weeks.
It was no shock to me to read it here, as I was one who got no instruction regarding what to eat, what not to eat, how to change my wafer and pouch, when to change them, how to release gas from the two piece unit I had on, and basically I went home with no idea about what should I do !!!

Before leaving the hospital, while waiting for my son to pick me up, I went to the nurse, and showed her the bag that was just about ready to explode from gas, and asked how do I take care of this bomb which is just about to explode, her answer was "a visiting nurse will see you tomorrow, and tell you all about it", and with that turned around and walked away.

Doctors and nurses in hospitals want nothing to do with Ostomy, and apparently know nothing about it, yes the Sergent knows how to put the bag on after surgery, wash his hands, and with that he did his job.
To make things worse, the Stoma nurse (the only one in this county) was on vacation, with no one to take her place.

If it was not for the home care nurse, who came the next morning, and showed me the basics, and answered my questions (about 100 of them) I would have been in deep poo.

For my parastomal hernia surgery 5 months after the original surgery, no one bothered letting me know they put on me a different size bag & wafer (2-3/4 instead of 2-1/4) due to the swelling of the Stoma after the surgery. I got home, had a leak over night, and had to plug it up any which way I could, till I went back next morning to the ER, and got a few pieces to hold me till my order came in.

If you are new to all this, and going to have an Ostomy, ask about a Stoma nurse, and get in touch with her before hand, maybe arrange for her to visit you in the hospital. Or ask here, and would all try and give you the best ideas from our experience.

ReplyQuote
(@Bob Harroop)

Thanks for such a clear and helpful video and general info. It is really great to have a balanced approach to all the issues.
Keep up the excellent work!
With best wishes, Bob Harrop

Questions:
I enjoy miso soup and am not clear on where soya beans fit into the fibre spectrum. I assume because it has been fermented over a long period, it should have less insoluble fibre. But still, maybe best to have instant versions which are more liquid. Do you think that this will also help with balancing electrolytes?
I do like porridge, from fine cut oatmeal. As oats are also soluble fibres,I trust that a small bowl per day with added smooth nut butter and coconut oil, is a good part of the daily diet.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Ashley)

Thank you! My husband just went through surgery at Mass General Hospital (and they LOVE to claim they are a the best) and they said NOTHING about food. It’s shameful.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

You're welcome, Ashley. Your experience is more common than you'd think. I wish you and your husband all the best :)

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

Hi Ashley, After my colostomy in 2018 the doctor told me, cheerfully, “no restrictions” in my diet. Well .. I was very cautious about that and took things slowly, eating soft food at first and then adding new foods a little at a time. Glad I did that; there are some foods that really don’t work well at all and that was the way to find out. Everybody is different - I stay away from stringy things and most raw vegetables unless I cut them very small and chew them very well. Best of luck to you and your husband. LL

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @llholiday

After my colostomy in 2018 the doctor told me, cheerfully, “no restrictions” in my diet.

Yikes. While it is true that colostomates might have an easier time with food (because the stoma opening is larger), it's still not an open season without starting slowly and making sure that some foods aren't going to be problematic. 

I'm glad you had enough sense to be cautious about it! 

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dogtalkerer)

LL north, have you had any signs of a blockage?

VO-vegan, do you have any numbers to support your claim about colostomy blockages?  in the early years I read a lot on UOAA, I would have paid attention to a colostomy blockage story but I do not recall ever reading one.  I don't recall any special diet suggestions that were non cancer related.  I resumed a regular diet day after hospital stay.   you suggest that colostomy blockages are common so I ask for data- such as 3 out of 100 or some such number. 

I eat a lot of raw stuff.i normally chew well but not always by the lumpy feeling of the bag. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @dogtalkerer

you suggest that colostomy blockages are common so I ask for data

Blockages are not common with colostomates, but they can still happen. Ileostomates need to be more concerned about it. 

I'm sure I can find data comparing the two if it helps. 

LK and Tony H reacted
ReplyQuote
(@squeakyandliza)

I have an ileostomy and was given quite a list of things to avoid, particularly for the first 6 weeks. I have been very slow to add them back in, and some not at all. But if I can live without them, and it will lower my odds of a blockage, why not.

Eric, I have heard enough blockage stories from ileostomates, I don’t think it is necessary for you to waste your valuable time digging up percentages on how many ileostomates get blockages. ?

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

LK, Tony H, john68 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

I agree, Liza - no need for Eric to spend his valuable time digging up percentages. I have a colostomy. For me, some (not many) foods have caused me some problems that I found scary so I now avoid them - again, everybody is different. What helped - again, for me - I read about on this VeganOstomy site and tried it, was to avoid solids for awhile and drink warm liquids, also to try to relax .... and in a couple of days things eased up. The doctor wondered if those foods, mainly stringy things, were causing constipation but we agreed that whatever the cause to just stay away from them.

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK, Tony H and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@chrisandbagpus)

My stoma nurse told me early last year the thing that she wants to avoid is constipation more than diarrhea so I guess people might be confusing  between blockage and constipation. In so far as the normal function of a colostomy.

On the other hand shortly after surgery a twist or stricture might cause a blockage, which is why the generally don't discharge the patient until things are shall we say flowing :mrgreen: 

It is a shame that useful and helpful dietary advice is often not offered.

Colostomy Jan 2020

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@Maggie)

You are AWESOME! Thank you for all the information, so educative! Stay well! <3

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks, Maggie!

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4