Community Forums

My Ostomy Travel Kit - March 2015 Edition! (w/ video)  

Page 2 / 2 Prev
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 15, 2018 11:24 am  

That looks like a well designed pack, Bryan!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Bryan
 Bryan
(@Bryan)
September 19, 2018 1:35 am  

Thanks for the link you provided in a previous reply. It was great, just not exactly what I was looking to get. I thought the bag I decided on looked well designed and capable of handling everything. Figured for clothes I’d pack an extra pair of everything, jeans, shirt, socks, a sweatshirt (he’s always cold), etc. Then all the great pockets for his supplies, and even a few things for myself if needed.

LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
Gina
 Gina
(@Gina)
October 11, 2018 8:34 pm  

What can I use to clean the skin in a pinch? At home I use plain Ivory soap because of the lack of moisturizers. Every "on the go" wipe I've looked at has moisturizers in them. Is that what you use the water and gauze for, and just skip the soap? Thanks for the tips... going back to work next week so gotta make my kit this weekend!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 11, 2018 9:29 pm  

Hi Gina, dry gauze pads with water - that's it! Soap isn't necessary, and can sometimes create unwanted situations like dry skin and irritation.

You can carry "baby wipes", but I will warn against using them around your stoma as many will contain moisturizers and can cause problems with the adhesive on your wafer.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Spoon
 Spoon
(@Spoon)
January 3, 2019 10:51 am  

Ostomy Kits: right after my ostomy (five years ago), I got several free kits from Coloplast and Convatec that were pretty nice. Both were plain kits (no indication or logos on them) with a nice selection of the respective ostomy supplies, mirror, scissors, etc. I still keep one at work, but the everyday one got a bit beat up over time and has been replaced by a small Maxpedition bag similar to yours. Like a lot of the comments below on this, there are a lot of simple solutions around that you can build on. Small or medium toiletry bags like the ones from L. L. Bean also work well.

What's worked for me is having a relatively small kit that can be taken alone or easily packed into a suitcase or small backpack. I travel by air about twenty or so trips a year for business and pleasure and having a small kit available has been critical.

The nice thing about the original kits is that they were a good starting point for what you need in one and for figuring out the right size for your needs. There are so many options out there that I would simply suggest getting some free kits then taking your time before dropping any serious dollars on a nicer kit.

VeganOstomy and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2 Prev
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register