Community Forums

My Ostomy Travel Kit - March 2015 Edition! (w/ video)  

Page 2 / 2
  RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
September 15, 2018 11:24 am  

That looks like a well designed pack, Bryan!

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
Bryan
 Bryan
(@Bryan)
September 19, 2018 1:35 am  

Thanks for the link you provided in a previous reply. It was great, just not exactly what I was looking to get. I thought the bag I decided on looked well designed and capable of handling everything. Figured for clothes I’d pack an extra pair of everything, jeans, shirt, socks, a sweatshirt (he’s always cold), etc. Then all the great pockets for his supplies, and even a few things for myself if needed.

LK and VeganOstomy liked
ReplyQuote
Gina
 Gina
(@Gina)
October 11, 2018 8:34 pm  

What can I use to clean the skin in a pinch? At home I use plain Ivory soap because of the lack of moisturizers. Every "on the go" wipe I've looked at has moisturizers in them. Is that what you use the water and gauze for, and just skip the soap? Thanks for the tips... going back to work next week so gotta make my kit this weekend!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 11, 2018 9:29 pm  

Hi Gina, dry gauze pads with water - that's it! Soap isn't necessary, and can sometimes create unwanted situations like dry skin and irritation.

You can carry "baby wipes", but I will warn against using them around your stoma as many will contain moisturizers and can cause problems with the adhesive on your wafer.

LK liked
ReplyQuote
Spoon
 Spoon
(@Spoon)
January 3, 2019 10:51 am  

Ostomy Kits: right after my ostomy (five years ago), I got several free kits from Coloplast and Convatec that were pretty nice. Both were plain kits (no indication or logos on them) with a nice selection of the respective ostomy supplies, mirror, scissors, etc. I still keep one at work, but the everyday one got a bit beat up over time and has been replaced by a small Maxpedition bag similar to yours. Like a lot of the comments below on this, there are a lot of simple solutions around that you can build on. Small or medium toiletry bags like the ones from L. L. Bean also work well.

What's worked for me is having a relatively small kit that can be taken alone or easily packed into a suitcase or small backpack. I travel by air about twenty or so trips a year for business and pleasure and having a small kit available has been critical.

The nice thing about the original kits is that they were a good starting point for what you need in one and for figuring out the right size for your needs. There are so many options out there that I would simply suggest getting some free kits then taking your time before dropping any serious dollars on a nicer kit.

VeganOstomy and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
Becky Otto
 Becky Otto
(@Becky Otto)
February 3, 2019 6:20 pm  

I'm very NEW at this, this coming Wednesday I have been home from hospital 3 wks. This morning, getting out for the first time I went to church and made me a travel kit just in case, I considered a change of clothes, I had a leak here at home last week, no problem, but now I am nervous about what happens when out and about. Wondering if I need to carry a backpack with a change of clothes, not just the supplies, a leak is going to cause the need of fresh clothing ... a backpack, LOL Sooooo not me, I hardly carry a purse, I'm a pocket person keys in one, phone with my needed cards etc. in the other... Sorry this is so long, I'm nervous and worrying...

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 4, 2019 11:30 am  
Posted by: Becky Otto

Wondering if I need to carry a backpack with a change of clothes, not just the supplies

Hi Becky,

I would carry a backpack with me before and sometimes after having my surgery because I had issues with incontinence prior to having my stoma, and leaks when I was a new ostomate made me a little nervous.  

Do what feels right for you. I don't see anything wrong with being prepared.

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
February 5, 2019 6:31 am  

Hi Becky, The bottom Iine with an ostomy is what works for you and be prepared. If it’s a comfort for you a leak always seems to happen me at home in the evening or night time. As time passes you will gain more confidence 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)
Registered
February 5, 2019 8:03 am  

Hi Becky,

Welcome to the forum! Having extra supplies and clothes are essential for us ostomates. For the first few months, I used a backpack with extra clothes and extra supplies. Now, I leave my extra clothes in a bag in my car and keep my supplies in my purse. However, I think a backpack will certainly work for you if you are not a purse carrier. Also, it's a good idea to replace  your appliances every couple of months. Use the ones you have been carrying around so they don't go to waste. One idea to remind yourself is to mark your calendar so you can replace them regularly. Just a thought. Good luck!

God bless,

Stella

VeganOstomy and Navey liked
ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
February 5, 2019 12:42 pm  

I have a back pack also-- (my hospital bag) -- I find this VERY important to have ready with your supplies ( that I rotate regularly) We can end up in the hospital on a dimes notice.  leaving others to TRY to find our daily needs.  So do yourself a favor, and have a back pack ready for this ALSO ……  If you need other things that are not in this area-  these items can be managed seperatly without confusion..... Trust Me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered
February 5, 2019 12:49 pm  

I also have a back pack in my car...…….. simple, don't over do it.  but also within this "back Pack" is a container if needed to empty...….  We are not in charge of traffic jams !!! I have all my simple needs of survial and that my friends is the key !!!!!!!!!!! 

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register