Community Forums

When You're in a Pinch, Here's How to Find Ostomy Supplies  

RSS

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
July 26, 2016 11:00 am  

When the stores are closed and you're out of supplies, what do you do? Share some tips in the comment section!

My written article for this topic can be found by clicking on the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

Cindy Young
 Cindy Young
(@Cindy Young)
July 26, 2016 5:48 pm  

I have been stuck without supplies....at the cottage. Fortunately for me the cottage was only an hour away and at 4am you can pretty much drive as fast as you want on the highway....lol Besides that, I always have 3 or 4 spare sets of things in my purse (I've had to change in the bathroom on an airplane, in restaurants, at friend's houses) and I always bring enough supplies to be able to change my flange every day of my trip. Seems excessive, but I haven't been short since :) Better to be over-prepared!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
 VeganOstomy
(@VeganOstomy)
July 26, 2016 7:30 pm  

Sounds like you were in a "best case" scenario, Cindy! I would never leave the house without several extra bags and wafers, but after reading this question (and the responses from others) online I figured it's best to at least go over some options ;)

ReplyQuote
Kim
 Kim
(@Kim)
February 1, 2018 12:20 pm  

Thoughts from The East Coast.....
Yes in the perfect world,medical outlets,shoppers drug mart,and yes Kijji.
Ostomy supplies are the most expensive medical devices in Canada.Personally I really don't understand why.Its not like people decide ""Yeah I think I like to have one of those.
""I've talked to a few people from many countries and ostomy supplies are either offered very cheap or even free.Wow ..Back to the beginning, for me ,this was very,very,difficult,painful and to make it even worst a good part,of the time was not being able,to afford the cost of my Ostomy supplies.
Yes Kijji here offered for sale sometimes,but i have never seen anyone just give it away.Our local chapter were a group of wonderful people, I met 2 years ago but.I guess what i am trying to say is that THINGS aren't always that easy.I wish they were
And if I could ,one of the things I would change is make it possible for people like you and me and all ostomates to have access and affortablilty all the any time...
Keep Rocking Vegan Ostomy
Thanks
East Coast

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
February 1, 2018 12:48 pm  

The east coast doesn't have the same programs like we do here in Ontario to help pay for supplies, but private insurance like Green Shield can significantly help people out.

ReplyQuote
Tod888
(@tod888)
Registered
October 14, 2018 12:06 am  

Great topic, I am on a weekend trip away and am onto my last appliance! Looking good to make it home without incident.
Do people ever make their own appliances?! Just curious, obviously not ideal but we are an inventive and adaptable lot

Crohn's diagnosis 2015, severe flare April 2018, Total colectomy, Stomi born April 20, 2018

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
October 15, 2018 2:06 pm  

Hey Tod888,

DIY appliances are common in underdeveloped countries, unfortunately. In North America and Europe, it's almost unheard of, although I would say that it's likely still possible that some do it if they are really in a bind.

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register