Notifications
Clear all

Ostomy Hack: Irrigating Your Ostomy Bag Using the Osto-EZ Vent

24 Posts
8 Users
10 Likes
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)

@shark I have a sigmoid colostomy too, so I am able to irrigate. I don’t do it regularly, but if I want a period of time (usually 24 - 48 hours) without interruptions for emptying, that’s when I will irrigate. There is a lot of information on YouTube about colostomy irrigation; have a look there to give you an idea of what to expect. If you want to try it, I’m happy to walk you through my routine, step by step. It’s always a good idea to check with your doctor and/or stoma nurse first, but I have found that they aren’t necessarily very knowledgeable about irrigation, as most ostomates don’t do it. I should tell you that there is a belief, even among professionals, that irrigation causes a hernia. I have asked that very question of the top colorectal surgeon in the country, and he was emphatic that it doesn’t cause a hernia. My own surgeon agrees.

Irrigation looks daunting until you actually do it. It’s not nearly as complicated as it seems, and it only takes one try to get the hang of it. Like anything, practice makes perfect. People who irrigate regularly find that it trains their bowels to expect flushing at a regular time, which allows for much more control for the ostomate. Let me know if I can help.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
(@shark)

@tigerlily hi, Thanks for all the good information. You're right, even ostomy nurses don't have a lot of experience with this. The only person my nurse knew was another nurse who did it every day successfully. She implied that intermittent irrigation for convenience (like if you're traveling) was not useful and you have to do it every day or your colon won't empty.  I don't think intermittent irrigation will disrupt cyclic bowel function any more than an occasional enema would. Thanks very much for your comments and support.

Anne

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)

@shark I don’t agree that the bowel won’t empty. If I can go 48 hours without output, clearly, I have successfully emptied my bowel. I do agree that regular irrigation conditions the bowel to empty more readily, so regular irrigation becomes much more efficient than occasional irrigation. Because I only irrigate occasionally, I am not very efficient, it takes me longer, and I use more water. But it does accomplish what I want.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
(@shark)

@tigerlily   What you're saying makes sense. I will keep this in mind . Thanks so much ?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2