Clear all

Dressing with an Ostomy: A Clothing Guide for Women

64 Posts
12 Users
29 Likes
10.5 K Views
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Bang on John! My surgeries were c-sections from left to right and then the bowel surgeries, leaving me with a scar about an inch and a half wide from the V in my rib area down. Basically I have a large upside down " T."Between babies, surgeries and tests,weall seem to loose a little of our so called pride. So I would have not one single issue wearing mens undies for the comfort factor!  The wide elastic does not roll down the way the thin elastic does. Plus, it is way more comfy on the scar areas, especially the first weeks after surgery. I love this idea and I am sure it will be more affordable then something with lace. I sew, so if I required that touch of femininity I can sew a certain space closed, and add some lace just for fun. Two pairs of underwear in our heat, I would manage just fine for the pouch comfort factor. Plus I think I could eliminate the snug elastic thin strapped shirts I wore last year, I did find them on the warm side, especially in the back area. Comfy yes, but they were warm. Anyways, such a great idea you two! Thanks again.

Linda

ReplyQuote
(@Naomi)

Do u wear the leggings over Product

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Naomi, From the posts and feeed back on the site lots of female ostomates find leggings a workable and comfortable choice. 

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

VeganOstomy and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
sjlovestosing
(@sjlovestosing)

Hi Naomi, and welcome to the forum. I wear leggings over my pouch and find them quite comfortable. You want to make sure that you don't use a filtered bag, though, as the elastic in the leggings can cause your appliance to flatten. I usually have a little bit of air in the bag to keep my stoma from pancaking. 

Stella

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Welcome Naomi,

As to dressing with an ostomy, I think most of us want a bit of support for the bag/wafer but not so much that there is too much pressure on the stoma.

You will find the right balance. Multiple layers work well, stretchy wide waist bands.

Like Stella said above, too snug and the stoma won't be able to function right. I use the Osto EZ-Vent, so tightness does not affect the ability to rid my bag of gas ( with that system, you do it manually, when needed).

I wear untucked shirts, tunics, vests etc, to further hide the stoma /appliance area. Those are good for times when you can not get to a place to empty your bag of material or gas. I wear skirts or pants/tights  to make access easier. Dresses are harder to wear for that reason.

This DOES work. Keep asking questions.

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

Marcie and LK reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

Hi Naomi and everybody, I have discovered Jockey brand yoga pants with a somewhat relaxed leg and slight flare at the bottom - not as form-fitting as leggings, yet not baggy-looking, and so soft and comfy. Wore them for an occasion today that required a dressier look than my usual black leggings. They come in a petite length, which means they are nicely proportioned for a shorter lady like me. And they have lots of “give” for stoma and appliance.

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Welcome Naomi...I am on the same page as John the other ladies here. I love the leggings and I find that they support the pouch nicely when it has, or does not have output in it. This does give the pouch extra support and it does not tug at the seal you have with the wafer on your tummy, risking a leak, as it would if you let it hang loose with product in it. How long have you had your pouch? Is it permanent? This is something you may want to consider when your decide on your new clothing style. If it is newish, and you have lost weight, it gives you a chance to put a little back on, or not, and still fit the pants while this happens. They make such pretty tops and if slightly longer it does hide the pouch with output in it until you can get to the washroom. Pay attention to style, does it have room to flare, on which side or all across, or is it snug. Snug is fine if you have nothing in it. In another forum, someone ( I think Dona) mentioned layers, this works great if you want a snugger fit around your tummy area. Adding a sweater or whatever you prefer will help disguise your pouch with output in it. Too snug and too thin an elastic in the waist band could bother your incision and may cause an indent down the road at that level on your tummy.  Underwear... choose what you are comfy in just make sure it does not block the flow of output to the base of the pouch. LLNorth...Thank you for your suggestion of the Jockey brand, I am going to see if I can find them. It always helps to know that other ostomates have success with a brand or style of clothing. 

Linda

Linda

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)

I love my maternity jeans !!!  As I do wear my tops longer now everything falls into place nicely-- No one knows that they are  maternity jeans.. ( don't wear pantie's with  my M.Jeans tho) IF to loose in the legs, I just sew them tighter..    People say I look well put together..  Skits with elastic bands, pants, long dress with a nice tie belt makes a nice gather. sliming affect.  You can wear the tie belt loosely-- Just add some simple jewelry, earrings, a new hair style?   and your ready for a nice day !! Being comfortable is the key to success now as we adjust to a "new me"...….. You will find your way..

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
(@Lydia Neilan)

Found all your ideas useful but unfortunately as a large lady (size 24 ) have found it impossible to find underwear that fits from any of the stoma outfitters.
stoma=wise have a useful seat belt cover which protects stomas sited under the belt at your waist
Lyd

ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Hi Lydia and welcome.

What works for me is just to get high waist briefs. There are a lot of these available from Amazon. Many companies make extended sizes too. I love Bali Barely there and Jockey and Hanes brands. Just be sure they are high waisted 'briefs' so they come up (hopefully) above your stoma. Also look for wide waist bands. ( and NOT high cut legs). I find these work really well. The wide waist band will help the undies not cut into your bag area or compress it too much.

I have never used the osotmy secrets products, but lots of people seem to like them ( but like you said, maybe sizing is a problem there.I think those have kind of an extra pouch ( ?? ) for the bag to be in..not sure. They do seem expensive.

You might also try wearing two pairs of lightweight briefs, if you want more support.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Sharing is good around here.

Or, If you want... write and post an introduction so we can get to know you.

Good luck!

Onset of severe Ulcerative Colitus Oct.2012. Subtotal colectomy with illiostomy July 2015; Peristomal hernia repair ( Sugarbaker, mesh, laparoscopic) May 2017.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
Dona
 Dona
(@dona)

Something like these:

https://amzn.to/2OcdedI

LK and Marcie reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Welcome Lydia...If you have a pouch with the material on the side against your tummy, regular but higher cut underwear are good for support too.  I also use what was called on the store label  "pantyloons" much like a longer type leg as in summer ladies shorts,  or , tho not as long or baggy as "little house on the prairie" bloomers, they work great for added support in the summer under  a dress and I have worn them over bikini undies, over the pouch and under a looser pair of pants. Is this all new to you and how are you handling everything?  The changes can be hard if your stoma is a surprise attack from an injury, and a bit sort of expected if from disease. How long have you had your ostomy?  Ask any thing you may need to know and we are here for you okay. 

Linda 

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@Lydia Neilan

Vanilla Blush offers plus sizes, although you may want to inquire directly with them: https://www.vblush.com/

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
(@Cecilia)

Does anyone know of a company that make cloths for someone with a colostomy. We had someone here in Ontario but they closed shop..

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Cecilia, I have a list of companies that sell clothing products specifically for ostomates: https://www.veganostomy.ca/ostomy-clothing-manufacturers/ you can filter to show Canada only.

If you need something custom made, you may be able to contact a local seamstress with your requirements. I know some people who have done that, other's have made modifications to garments themselves.

I hope that helps.

ReplyQuote
(@Tammy)

Can you tell me if compression compromises the seal of the bag? I’m new to an ostomy and worn compression shorts, but I’m wondering if it used some of the bag contents under the seal because that’s what happened. You seem to know a lot so I thought I’d ask.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Tammy,

Yes, I find that compression gives output little room to fill the bag, so it will often push it back towards the wafer and cause a leak, like you've experienced.

Some people can get away with compression clothing, especially with loose or infrequent bowel movements, but I'd suggest loose or expandable fabric.

ReplyQuote
(@Melissa)

Enjoying all of your research

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
 Jane
(@Jane)

Hello
I have developed a huge hernia under my ostomy. I am a small person and this makes doing everything uncomfortable and I worry about it getting bigger. It will be a few months before I have a reversal. What products would you recommend, how do I avoid pressure on the opening forcing prolapse and how do I get Medicare to over the cost? Thank you !!

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Jane,

I'm sorry that you're going through that. I would strongly recommend working with a stoma nurse, since hernias can require special care and fitting to get the right support product. They could also address your concerns about the prolapse.

Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4