Community Forums

Dressing with an Os...

Notifications
Clear all

Dressing with an Ostomy: A Guide for Ladies (Part 4)

10 Posts
6 Users
7 Likes
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
wpf-cross-image

Ladies, do you have any ostomy clothing tips you'd like to share? My written article on this topic can be found by clicking on the link below.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

(@VeganOstomy)
Topic starter  

Ladies, what other tips do you have to share?

ReplyQuote
pink alpaca
(@pink-alpaca)

Hi
Just wanted to say how helpful this guide is. I had my ileostomy in February 2019, so I'm still a newbie. I favour slightly loose fitting tops and find dresses with a pattern detract attention from the pouch. I recently purchased some lingerie from Vanilla Blush (UK) as I wanted to have some light/medium support. I've tried the 3 pack (black, navy, white), everyday mixed ostomy underwear which has a handy internal ostomy pocket that runs from right to left, so you can position your pouch whichever side is convenient for you. They are very comfortable and the pouch remains secure in the pocket. They look good and make me feel more confident. I also purchased a white hernia support vest. I haven't got a hernia but find it useful support as a preventive measure against developing one. It's very comfortable to wear, looks good, can be difficult to get on and off - similar to compression socks, but offers great support and stays in place If you live in the UK these items are available on prescription.

C S Kisby

mouse, john68 and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Pink alpaca, I hear a lot of good things about the Vanilla Blush products! Glad you like them!

ReplyQuote
 Mary
(@Mary)

My mother now has an ileostomy and having trouble finding pants she can wear. She is 5ft 1in tall so her stoma sits right at her natural waist. Everything today is made low waisted or spandexy tight fitting which she doesnt like. Suggestions?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Hi Mary, 

What is her preference? Does she prefer to tuck in the bag under her pants, wear it over her pants, or wear it under some kind of support band/belt? 

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

I wear leggings or yoga pants in a size or sometimes two sizes bigger, which gives me room in the waist and they don’t look like tights. The larger size also makes for enough room that they sit right above my stoma (like your mother, I am short). If the waist is too big I thread a long shoelace through the waistband and tie it on the inside.

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

VeganOstomy and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
 Mary
(@Mary)

Last summer I found that a pair of loose capris, with matching suspenders worked very well. Also, a long loose vest for those of us trying to hide the buldge.

VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
 atom
(@atom)

@Mary

Hi Mary,

I am just a little taller, and short-waisted, so have the same issue with waistbands of mid-rise pants actually pressing on stoma.  Just not enough room for low-cut pants, while high-cut have to be up over the ribs to work!  I was about to embark on a life of sewing dresses when I came upon Maternity pants, with a stretchy fabric panel above the hips.  I started with a pair of capris from Thyme Maternity.  This was when my abdomen was still very sore about 8 weeks after surgery, and only loose dresses had been bearable.  In the fall I had great success at Motherhood Maternity, purchasing jeans, dressier pants, and leggings.  At both these Canadian shops the staff were amazingly helpful; apparently many surgical patients find these clothes useful.  Online shopping is also an option.  I recently ordered doubles of the products I liked best from Motherhood; excellent deals, great service.  Tips:  As I don't have a "bump" the size of a pregnant woman, sometimes slippage is an issue.  Wearing a vest or camisole, or T-shirt as a base layer, over the pouch, I pull the stretchy fabric up over top, and that provides enough friction to keep things in place.  The illusion is completed by wearing a longer shirt, sweater or tunic overtop.  Here too I found maternity tops worked well, though not essential, because they are thoughtfully made to be cosy and easy-care.  Note that Motherhood Maternity offers some styles in Petite, a great help to shorter folks.  I say folks, because there must be a few male ostomates who would benefit, whether just during healing stage, or generally.  To conclude - no one can tell these are maternity clothes!  The stretchy panel is essentially a "bandeau", keeping the pouch secure.

Hope this helps,

Atom (Alison)

john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

Hi Alison, Welcome to the forum and some great tips for the ladies.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote