Community Forums

Dealing with liquid...

Notifications
Clear all

Dealing with liquid ostomy output - OSTOMY TIPS (w/ video)

112 Posts
16 Users
30 Likes
15.7 K Views
(@Natalie Campbell)

Paula I know this was posted a year ago but my dad has a very similar situation I was wondering if you are still suffering with dehydration or if you were able to find the right system of meds to control it?

ReplyQuote
(@Hermie)

I wonder if i could put psyllium powder in my pouch to thicken this watery output. I have a lot of capsules of it that my SIL left here after visiting. Maybe i could try emptying one capsule and see what happens.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

Try it in water first (to see how much it absorbs) . A single sachet used for ostomy bags can typically soak up 1/2 - 1 cup of fluids without trouble. If the powdered psyllium works, I see no harm in using it :)

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@KathreneLozari)

My stoma is producing water.. It is very watery and i cannot sleep at night because it leaks

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@KathreneLozari

Hi Kathrene, 

Have you considered using a gelling product to thicken up your output? I find that they can help quite a bit in preventing leaks: https://www.veganostomy.ca/guide-to-ostomy-gelling-products/

LK and john68 reacted
ReplyQuote
 Sue
(@Sue)

I have had a colostomy for 2 months and my output is brown water and very stinky. I can feel the watery poop coming out. What can I do about that?

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@Sue

Hi Sue, there could be many reasons and solutions for what you described. 

You'll need to find out why you're having that kind of output before you can move towards addressing it. 

Smelly and watery could indicate several things, but you may have to consult with your doctor or nurse to confirm. If you are taking any antibiotics, or going through a cancer treatment, you may have that kind of output.

It could also be diet related. 

There's a lot to consider, so I hope that you'll be able to connect with your doctor or nurse for more help. 

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

Hello Sue, welcome to this site. Runny and a colostomy should be checked out by your doctor. For me, it was a little hard to deal with odor when the smell no longer comes from behind us... to me, it felt like it was right in my face and to be honest is was the kind where my hubby would fart and toss the blankets over my head and hold them there!  Maybe try keeping a journal of what you eat to try and figure out the smell thing.  Veggies such as Broccoli always makes mine stinky to some extent.  Also, you can buy from Hollister a bottle of M9 liquid deodorant to put in your bag. They have a nice size sample to send you also, so feel free to call them and ask for a sample. The big bottle is about 40 bucks in Canada, and I get a month out of one,  I use 20 drops per empty. Count them out, it helps make them last the month and it is worth the expense to me. I ave an ileostomy, also ask for a sample of the "room" spray deodorizer to try, they booth work well to help to omit odor. I tend to find that there is something about the M9 that seems to even minimizes the odor of gas you may release from the pouch too. Have you looked in to the Osto EZ Vents ( Eric has a video here on this also) to attach to your pouch?  This too is worth the cost but not necessary.  All the best and don't be shy here. 

Linda

ReplyQuote
(@Hannah)

Can you get black mold in your Ostomy bag? My mom has one and on the in side of the bag looks like black mold.

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @Hannah

Can you get black mold in your Ostomy bag?

I've experienced strange colors in and under my wafer, and that tends to be normal. Not mold.

I did at one point think I had "mold" on my wafer, and it turned out that the blue marker I was using simply transferred the ink onto the wafer when I was drawing a hole to cut, and subsequently ended up getting on my skin. That was alarming at first until I figured it out. 

Continue to have your mom keep an eye out and if she believes there may be a problem, perhaps schedule her to see a stoma nurse to have a look.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

@Hannah

Hannah, I think this is an interesting question. Does your mother use M9 drops? I have suspected that they turn my output black -  not complaining, because it is such a great product -  but I have wondered.

Colostomy 4/30/18.
I love the smell of coffee in the morning. It smells like .... victory.

LK and VeganOstomy reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  

@llholiday

That's a great point, too. M9, or any other colored deodorant, may also cause blueish/greenish staining. 

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
(@john68)

New one on me, the causes suggested are worth looking at, could it be a different or new food I know beetroot will look a little scary when passed !

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

So I am the only person gets this charcoal-gray-to-black that sometimes looks like black mold to wherever the M9 reaches in my bag?  I had some scary stuff going on this past summer and had many tests so I am reasonably sure it is not caused by blood - plus, where the M9 does not touch the output is just brown.  Every body is different, I know.

Colostomy 4/30/18.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

@Hannah

I know what you are talking about Hannah. I find anytime I eat any strong coloured fruit or vegetable especially, I get that black thing look in my pouch too.  It is looking like spots or wide spread.  I find when I eat something like green beans, especially canned ones, or regular beans, sticky type foods, the pasty sort will do this too.  Spinach & artichoke dip the spinach does it every time.  Beets are a color changer to the bag and so does cheese of any kind for me.  We can get a fungus under our wafer if it is in moist conditions and does not dry up the way it should and usually does but that is usually if there is a leak not tended too.  No on the mold I say. Plastic stains and the M9  is a strong color all around, it stains my clothes if I get some on it.  I just see your last entry came in on my phone, I am on the lap top. so I will send this to you now. Greens  Asparagus, Broccoli, grapes, candies with strong colours, Popsicles, also have changed it even..... 

Linda

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @llholiday

So I am the only person gets this charcoal-gray-to-black that sometimes looks like black mold to wherever the M9 reaches in my bag?

How much are you putting in your bag? It can change the color of your output, but it depends how many drops you use. I squirt M9 into my bag, but the suggested amount is only several drops, which shouldn't discolor too much .

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

I would suggest keeping a food list of what may have been eaten about the time the black appeared. That was how I figured it out for myself.  When I asked the GP about it, he did not think that there was enough time for a mold to form being an ostomy.  Even when rinsing the pouch there is not enough to form the mold.  Sticky foods....sauces, pasta, carrots, potatoes...now I want scalloped potatoes for supper loaded with onions....I  digress...just keep a check on the foods and I am sure it will all make sense. No, you are not alone, I get it all the time too. 

Try scrubbing the inside of the bag by adding some M9 and rubbing the sides together kind of hard but too hard and then when your done, if the colour is still there, that is the stain from food colours.  Peas are another culprit red grapes will stain black with the m9 and acids you produce too.  Trial and error.  I hope this helps.

Linda

ReplyQuote
LLNorth
(@llholiday)

@veganostomy

I use just one small squirt, which I estimate to be perhaps 20 drops. Maybe I will try just letting 10 drops fall into the bag and see if that makes a difference; as I recall I started with a few drops at first when I got a bottle of M9 and then increased to that small squirt. This might be my body chemistry reacting with the ingredients in M9 - it is a curious thing but the drops were life-changing, the only product that worked, and I don’t plan to stop using them. Thank you everybody for your ideas and suggestions.

Colostomy 4/30/18.

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
Topic starter  
Posted by: @llholiday

I use just one small squirt, which I estimate to be perhaps 20 drops. Maybe I will try just letting 10 drops fall into the bag and see if that makes a difference

I would continue to use what works for odor control. Don't worry about what color it turns things as it's not harmful in any way. ?

LK reacted
ReplyQuote
 LK
(@dlkfiretruck)

I have advanced to using a bottle from the stoma powder to keep my M9 drops in and I count it out because at the 40 $ a month, I can not do that twice.  It is worth it to count the 20 drops into the bag.  If you have eaten something causing a stronger odour, you can 2 more and it nips it in the stoma. I refuse to do without it also,this was a life changer as in I was no longer afraid to leave the house, and had always asked if my hubby and then my son...do I stink??? I always felt I stank.  A very normal question with a new pouch system.  All the best!

Linda

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 6