Community Forums

Closed End Bags  

RSS

fourtizzy
(@fourtizzy)
Registered
May 30, 2018 10:53 am  

I am new to ostomy life and I was hoping that I would be able to use the closed end bag (Natura by Convatec).  For the past week or so my output seems to be more than in the beginning and I have been using the open end style, because I empty the bag when it is 1/3 to 1/2 full.  That is a few times a day.  Is it possible to use the closed end bag and empty that as well through the wafer attachment area?  It seem like it would be a bit messy.  Does anyone do this?

john68
(@john68)
Registered
May 30, 2018 11:13 am  

Hi Fourtizzy, Welcome, that wouldn,t be the best of an idea. At the start the output will be more liquid and as yer diet improves it will thicken.

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
Sasquatch
(@sasquatch)
Registered
May 30, 2018 11:59 am  

Welcome to the forum!!

Do you have an ileostomy or a colostomy?  There will be differences in your output depending on which you have.  With the ileostomy the output is generally a little more liquidy to mushy.  With the colostomy, depending how much of the colon is left, tends to be a little more solid.  There is a lot of collective knowledge on this forum, we'll help you find your way.

UC since 2002, subtotal colectomy Dec. 2016, proctolectomy Nov. 2018.

ReplyQuote
fourtizzy
(@fourtizzy)
Registered
May 30, 2018 12:57 pm  

Well right now it would be what I would call mushy, which has me slightly concerned as it was not so much mushy at first.  Also, I think I might have gotten myself through a bout of having a partial obstruction without even knowing what it was.  I had two burst of fluids go into the bag one morning and I thought it was diarrhea.  I called the doc and she recommended Metamucil.  My output since then has been on the mushy side.  Anyway, I was having cramps and some pain and went to see the doctor.  I felt that something was wrong.  She checked me out and said I was doing great.  I went home and two days later on  I had so much cramping and gas and some pain that I couldn't eat.  I layed on the couch all day and took pain relievers and gasx.  I did feel much better the next day although a little weak.  Probably from not eating.  I got on the net and started investigating as to what was going on and that is when I stumbled across obstructions and  what they were and how to deal with them.  I was given all kinds of paperwork about my diet and what I could and couldn't do when I left the hospital and even was given the symptoms which one would call the doctor about, but no one explained obstructions and what to do about them.  I did have the symptoms and did call the doctor and went to see her but was given a clean bill of health...………..???????????  I am sticking to thinking I had a partial obstruction and it has worked itself out because I did the things that people talked about on the net.

And I babble on without even telling you I had a colostomy.  I have been told it is reversible, but will believe that when it happens.  Until then I am an ostomy patient and need advise.

Thanks for responding.

Robert and john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
May 30, 2018 2:52 pm  

Hi, I have an ileostomy so my output will be not as thick, Getting back to normal eating will be a learning process at the start. introducing new foods one at a time and note how its going is a good way, Eric recommends keeping a food diary :-) Its amazing how some food will thicken and some make output loose. plus keeping note of these is a great way to control. With an ostomy if we don,t eat for a long period the result will be gas and very liquid output so small regular meals. A blockage is not to be messed about with if unsure do seek medical help. All this info and advice will seem a lot to take in but believe me it will become 2nd nature.

ReplyQuote
Marcie
(@shulmjs)
Registered (M)
May 30, 2018 3:46 pm  

Metamucil clogs me up--  Try ordering banana flacks on amazon.  Healthier and u get good food products. I found this to be easy on my insides..  ( I even put them - 1 teaspoon on my ice cream at night- jello- dose not taste like banana -)trying to gain some weight)Also, Cherrios are great to snack on if u have liquid outputs.  

REMEMBER---------------Your new, and our body is making adjustments..  We all go through this..  And the food list?  That scared me!!  I didn't eat at all so scared of a blockage..  The year after? I just went for it.. I dot eat corn in any form, of fats on meats.. Like John aid, keep a log on what u ate that day and see how your out put is..  then avoid them.. and try a new foods.. I know it is a pain........  But we all have gone through this.. And I/we know the fustration's you have..  So relax,  IT ALL TO MUCH TO PROCESS AT ONCE.......... Again, I understand.. Going nuts?  yes, I sure did..  but this blog helped me answer some questions that the Dr. cant..  They are text book, and that is the only answers they have.. We are experienced.. HANDS ON !! But if your uneasy, call your Dr. Nurse. Then if nothing is wrong ? then you know the correct feeling yur having is something not to worry to much about..  and you proceed from there.  But always keep your apts. with your Dr. for a good year.. They ARE checking for problems that mostly don't happen but worth your and mine pace of mind..  You will be O.K. Watch some videos------but don't forget, you may NOT fall into these possible issues of hospitalzations.. (sp) Some get all nervous  and make up their minds that they have this and that.. And they don't.. and it is a horrible way to live..  so, as the above, keep in with your Dr. for a good year at least..  Be Well-- Marcie.. --now go sit outside and enjoy the nice weather..  

2014 - 3 strangulations of colon, Ulcerative colitis, removal of colon, illiostomcy named woooh Nellie..

ReplyQuote
fourtizzy
(@fourtizzy)
Registered
May 30, 2018 4:27 pm  

Thank you, Marcie, for all your support and information.  I am an amazon customer and I am going to look into the banana flacks.  Metamucil just doesn't seem to be my friend either.  lol

I have already watched a few of the videos on this site.  I stumble across Veganostomy when researching and I am so happy I have found it...…….

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
May 30, 2018 6:06 pm  

Hey Fourtizzy

I see you are already getting some good advice here and this is a good place to get it . I have an Ileostomy so I am a little different than you are with output mine is generally liquid but can like John said thicken up by what you eat . I was also told at the hospital that I could no longer eat certain things . But now a little less than 2 years later I eat pretty much everything from corn to nuts and I drink carbonated drinks like soda and yes I have been known to have a couple Beers ! Lol . Like Marcie n John say keep a record of what you eat and how it affects you even if only in your head . And as time goes by try some other foods but in moderation . if I start getting thick output I drink Grape juice or Cranberry juice etc. seems to thin things out for me . Also if you have an Ostomy nurse available it can also be a good source of info . But here on Eric's site is where I have learned the most and received the most help from the experience of my ostomate friends .

And you think you Babble on haha just look at me going on here . Lol

Welcome to the forum fourtizzy

Subtotal colectomy and Proctectomy , Ileostomy , Ulcerative Colitis

ReplyQuote
fourtizzy
(@fourtizzy)
Registered
May 31, 2018 8:46 am  

Thanks for all your info, Robert.  Funny, the one Ithat I will miss very much is popcorn.  lol   I can't see a movie without it.  I tell myself that I can substitute something else for it but it just won't be the same.  I have to agree with you about Eric's site.  I have already watched videos that have helped me with things and since I am vegan, I am looking forward to going to his vegan section to get some of his menu tips in the future.  

ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
May 31, 2018 5:14 pm  

Fourtizzy don't give up on the popcorn to fast . That's what I thought too but since I have seen on here where some people eat it and have given it a try myself with no problem . Just remember a little at a time . And who knows maybe popcorn and a movie again ????

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered
May 31, 2018 5:34 pm  

Hey Robert, Careful ye,ll be going on a date lol. Eric has an interesting bit in here about popcorn and their is 2 different types

Robert liked
ReplyQuote
Robert
(@njewell1)
Registered
May 31, 2018 6:02 pm  

Easy there Lad Lol  . Yes Eric had some good info on the popcorn .

ReplyQuote
Kerby
(@lkerby33)
Registered
May 31, 2018 9:02 pm  

I just had to jump in here in this conversation. By no way am I an Authority on Ostomys. I I had my permanent Colonoscopy Nov. 2017. I to, was leery of what I could and couldn't eat. Slowly, I incorporated different foods. I'm fortunate, I just about eat anything, even Popcorn. I chew real good. I eat nuts. Not even close to a blockage. You will get to know your body, what works, what doesn't. Liquid/Thick? Output. It takes time. I to, came across Eric's site while browsing. I got my self confidence back ,learning, listening. This is a Great Group to learn from, lots of knowledge, just ask. Good luck.. . .........Linda 

ReplyQuote
Kerby
(@lkerby33)
Registered
May 31, 2018 9:04 pm  

P. S. I use Hollister Bags/ Pouches. I use both the open end and closed. Have had no problems, I'm happy. :)

fourtizzy liked
ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin
May 31, 2018 11:58 pm  

fourtizzy, I'm enjoying popcorn every day - sometimes twice a day =) There really shouldn't be a problem if you're chewing well. Even eating 10+ cups at a time hasn't given me any indication that I might be at risk of a blockage, but take it slow and see how things go.

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.

~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
fourtizzy
(@fourtizzy)
Registered
June 3, 2018 1:03 pm  

Let's hope so.  That will be a goal of mine...…….popcorn and a movie

ReplyQuote
Share:

Working

Please Login or Register