Notifications
Clear all

Trying to find the lowest profile 2 piece pouch system

elle d.
(@elledubuque)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hi Friends!

I am really wanting to go with a two piece system as I normally have 1-2 movements a day. The benefits of using a close bag will be huge when I get back to teaching this fall - no time to dump and clean and get to class early in a ten minute passing period!

im trying the convex (my stoma is flat) Coloplast Mio click right now but my poo is having a hard time making it up and out due to the depth of it and then the locking ring system on top of it. Note this issue  still happens with lubricating deodorant and covering the filter. 

Coloplast is sending me their flex system to try out as it has a lower profile.

Does anyone have feedback on other two piece convex systems that have a lower profile? Mainly I want to make sure my output can flow easily VS getting stuck in poo valley.

Thanks! 

Elle D.

VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Welcome, Elle.

Any 2pc with an adhesive coupling will give you a lower profile than most other 2pc systems. 

However, I'm not sure how well they would work with repeated removable and replacement, since the system relies on having a good seal around that adhesive coupling. 

I can't comment about convex systems, since I don't use them, but I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences. 

With 1-2 movements a day, I'm assuming you have a colostomy. If that's the case, have you/would you consider colonic irrigation? 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

ReplyQuote
elle d.
(@elledubuque)
Registered
Topic starter  

Hey there!

yes, colostomy. I’m thinking I can go with closed bags so a change can be less complicated; it would be a one and done situation. 

Coloplast is sending their adhesive one, thanks for the tip on that being the lowest profile. Gonna call Hollister to see what they have now.

im not sure what colonic irrigation is and I’ll look into it. Sounds a little scary 😟 

Elle D

ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered

I'm about the same. but not always,and its nice to dump and go.  a drainable bag gives you all a closed end bag gives, with the ability to drain.    rinsing a bag is a nice option but I rarely do that- too time consumming.  wear time of rinse vs not rinsing doesn't seem to matter much.    one piece bags are surely the winner in the low profile catagory.  also far easier to burb out gas into the outside air and not into your clothing when burbing a closed end.  I'd guess i can dump my bag faster than you can replace yours.

i also prefer to empty whenever i feel weight in the bag , or when going biking or such.  i don't like doing activities with anything in the  bag.

cygo liked
ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

Hi Elle. I wear the Mio Sensura 2 piece adhesive system, and I really like it. You might want to consider an open ended pouch, but put a liner in it for quick emptying. I don’t use a liner, but there are people on this site that can give you some info on that. 

Eric is right - if you have a colostomy, you might want to consider irrigation. That can give you between 1 and 2 days with no output. It’s basically a form of enema. Lots of people do it regularly; I only use it occasionally, when I need a period of time with no output. There is lots on the net, and YouTube about irrigation. Have a look at it, and speak to your doctor or ostomy nurse before you decide to try it. If you decide to, I’ll walk you through my process. It might be your best option to manage a busy work day.

Laurie

Just a semicolon

ReplyQuote
elle d.
(@elledubuque)
Registered
Topic starter  

@dogtalkerer I guess I never really thought about having the need to drain if I’m able to just click off a closed bag.

Makes sense to have the option, but I still imagine the bulk would be nice to let go of….

ReplyQuote
elle d.
(@elledubuque)
Registered
Topic starter  

@tigerlily thanks for the insight. I looked up irrigation today and I’m not comfortable enough with my new body to go there yet… but if I do I’ll definitely reach out for your tips!

ReplyQuote
Tigerlily
(@tigerlily)
Registered

@elledubuque I agree with you. You do need to get comfortable with your body and a process for caring for it, now that things have changed. I don’t recommend embarking on a routine of irrigation before having a conversation with your doctor and/or stoma nurse, as I mentioned. And also, irrigation is not for everyone. But because it so rarely gets mentioned by surgeons or stoma nurses, ostomates often don’t know anything about it until they stumble upon information about it. I’m guessing you’re a good example of that.

Irrigation does seem daunting - until you actually do it. It looks far more complicated than it is. Let me know if you want more information; I’m glad to help.

Lauri

Just a semicolon

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
dogtalkerer
(@dogtalkerer)
Registered

yes, I do not like a bulky bag either.  the reason I do not use Mio.   I weighed the sensura 1 piece, best i can tell,  they weigh 23grams.   that would probably put the drain mechanism about 3-5grams.   i can live with 3-5grams for all the versatility of a drainable bag.    

cymed has a really light weight bag but I do not like the drain set up.    if you find a lighter bag, post its weight.

ReplyQuote
cygo
 cygo
(@cygo)
Registered

Posted by: @elledubuque

Hi Friends!

I am really wanting to go with a two piece system as I normally have 1-2 movements a day. The benefits of using a close bag will be huge when I get back to teaching this fall - no time to dump and clean and get to class early in a ten minute passing period!

im trying the convex (my stoma is flat) Coloplast Mio click right now but my poo is having a hard time making it up and out due to the depth of it and then the locking ring system on top of it. Note this issue  still happens with lubricating deodorant and covering the filter. 

Coloplast is sending me their flex system to try out as it has a lower profile.

Does anyone have feedback on other two piece convex systems that have a lower profile? Mainly I want to make sure my output can flow easily VS getting stuck in poo valley.

Thanks! 

Elle D.

Hi,

I use both one piece and two piece Coroplast Mio Click bags.

I have used the flex, light and deep convex as my stoma sinks in.  For me the flex did not apply enough of the convex to help me but the light convex works fine.  

I find the one piece are lower profile.

For me I can empty the bag quicker than I could change one out.  I worry about making a mess when changing bags.

For everyday I use the one piece it is more comfortable under the hernia prevention belt I wear for sports. 

I will use the Mio Click bags when I do not have access to a bathroom then I would do a bag change out. (like paddle boarding or hiking)

I have seen bag caps that you can us to close up the large opening on a two piece bag.

Best of luck.

ReplyQuote