Community Forums

Notifications
Clear all

Has anyone had issues with barrier ring sticking to bags?

elle d.
(@elledubuque)
Registered
Topic starter  

The last few days I’ve had issues with my bag adhering to my stoma. I have to really work it to get the bag to pull up off of it. 

I am using a convex bag as my stoma is level with my skin. I have also added lubricating deodorant and tried the TP method. 

The only thing I can think that has changed is my nurse recommended that I work my barrier rings around the edge of the hole of my bags, allowing it to go around the inside of the hole. 

is it possible that I have too much ring exposed on the inside around my stoma and then it’s adhering to the bag?

I literally had this issue with three bags yesterday and I need to change for the fourth time today because my stoma feels trapped and my poo isn’t moving out though it’s gurgling. 

Thanks for any ideas!

SqueakyandLiza
(@squeakyandliza)
Registered

Hi Elle,

First off, Nothing should stick to your stoma. It should be wet all the time. Like the inside of your mouth. You might be cutting your wafer a bit too small, constricting your stoma So output can’t flow freely. Try cutting it just a pinch bigger. 

The convex bag is good for a stoma level with your skin. That is what I use. I know pancaking is more common with colostomies, so maybe some people can jump in with suggestions. With an ileostomy, the output is more fluid. I don’t know if drinking more water will help, or maybe a fruit juice??

I’ve done the same thing with the ring, tucking it into the hole, trying to avoid leaks. Are you using a two piece bag?  I think that method would be better with a two piece bag. I think a one piece bag, the ring could easily stick to the bag and maybe not allow the output anywhere to go. I like the two piece because you can get the wafer all settled around your stoma and see what is going on before you click on the bag. But it is a personal preference. Maybe try both?  The ostomy companies are great about sending free samples. 

Good luck!!  It just takes a little time. 😊

-Liza
Ileostomy 6/18/2018
“May your day be bright and your bag be light.”

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

• Hi Elle and welcome, I take it the bag looks like it’s shrink rapped too your stoma. If you are using a bag with a filter use the wee stickers that should come along with the box. What’s happening is the air is being drawn out. Also before putting on the bag let a little air inside. Another useful tip is some rolled up toilet paper about a marble size. The output will also stand a better chance of going to the bottom of the bag.👍

ileostomy 31st August 1994 for Crohns

ReplyQuote
elle d.
(@elledubuque)
Registered
Topic starter  

@john68 

yes, shrink wrapped like a tiny yucky little piece of meat in the butcher’s case! 

Im going to try your ideas before changing this one out.

Thanks so much!

Elle D

ReplyQuote
elle d.
(@elledubuque)
Registered
Topic starter  

@squeakyandliza 

these are good points! 

i think my size is accurate because a nurse did it for me.  

It did happen in both two and one piece systems. But I could see what you are saying about it being easier to stick to a one piece due to the mechanical rings being there to create volume.

my surgeon’s office called today and they said it could be that I need to make sure to open the end to add some air too.

I may have added to the issue by trying to fill my bag via the hair dryer last night. 😂

thanks for the reply!

ReplyQuote
elle d.
(@elledubuque)
Registered
Topic starter  

Success!

Getting some air in and covering the filter got everything unglued and moving!

Thanks so much, I ❤️ this resource!

ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

That’s fantastic 👍👍👍 VeganOstomy certainly is an amazing creation. 

ReplyQuote
VeganOstomy
(@veganostomy)
Admin

Posted by: @elledubuque

Success!

Getting some air in and covering the filter got everything unglued and moving!

Thanks so much, I ❤️ this resource!

Should out to @john68 for the MVP suggestion =) 

Just your friendly neighborhood ostomate.
~ Crohn's Disease ¦ Ileostomy ~

john68 liked
ReplyQuote
john68
(@john68)
Registered

Just a real reward to see a fellow ostomate get sorted 😀😀🙏

ReplyQuote